Does the Bible teach the virtue of moderation?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Does the Bible teach the virtue of moderation?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Eastern religions teach moderation as a virtue, along with balance and harmony. Does the Bible teach this as well?

For example, Jesus teachings to forsake all that one has for the sake of the Gospel does not seem very moderate.

Does Paul teach moderation? How about John the Baptist? What about the writers of the Hebrew Bible? ("Old" Testament). Solomon perhaps? Moses? King David?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Does the Bible teach the virtue of moderation?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Elijah John wrote: Eastern religions teach moderation as a virtue, along with balance and harmony. Does the Bible teach this as well?

For example, Jesus teachings to forsake all that one has for the sake of the Gospel does not seem very moderate.
I think that would depend on how one interprets the bible/Jesus' words. As one of Jehovah's Witnesses I personally interpret them to be very moderate. So I would say yes, according to othe JW interpretation, Jesus taught a his followers to live a balaned and harmonious existence.

JW

RELATED POSTS

Were the teachings of Jesus practical?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 241#930241

Were the bible writers obsessed with sex?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 645#799645
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

Elijah John wrote: Eastern religions teach moderation as a virtue, along with balance and harmony. Does the Bible teach this as well?

Does Paul teach moderation? How about John the Baptist? What about the writers of the Hebrew Bible? ("Old" Testament). Solomon perhaps? Moses? King David?
What evidence from appropriate sources demonstrate that eastern religions teach moderation?

Here is an article on moderation in the Bible.
https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-moderation.html

My thoughts is that self-control is very much taught in the Bible. I am taught that many sins are only good things in excess.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

marco
Savant

Post #4

Post by marco »

Elijah John wrote:

Jesus did NOT teach moderation, far from it. He opposed a moderate stance. You were either for or against - nothing in between. He speaks with alarming extremism. Here are some instances:

21 Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?� 22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy-seven times. Matthew 18: 21-22

Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect: Matthew 5: 48

And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and vknelt before him and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to winherit eternal life?� 18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.
Mark 10: 17-18

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. Luke 14: 26

A man of extremes, indeed.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #5

Post by brianbbs67 »

marco wrote:
Elijah John wrote:

Jesus did NOT teach moderation, far from it. He opposed a moderate stance. You were either for or against - nothing in between. He speaks with alarming extremism. Here are some instances:

21 Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?� 22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy-seven times. Matthew 18: 21-22

Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect: Matthew 5: 48

And as he was setting out on his journey, a man ran up and vknelt before him and asked him, “Good Teacher, what must I do to winherit eternal life?� 18 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.
Mark 10: 17-18

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. Luke 14: 26

A man of extremes, indeed.
The first could be read that way. The last is a poor translation of Greek. Love less would be more correct than hate. If you love yourself and family more that God, you are not following Him. You are following your own desires.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

brianbbs67 wrote:
The first could be read that way. The last is a poor translation of Greek. Love less would be more correct than hate.
You mention that it is a poor translation of Greek, but never address the Greek involved. Can you share the Greek word/words in question and explain how the translation is flawed?

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #7

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 6 by Tcg]

https://biblehub.com/text/luke/14-26.htm

greek words for hate

https://hermeneutics.stackexchange.com/ ... luke-14-26

Apparantly as I understand there is no equivalent of the English word hate in Greek. Good question though.

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

This link simply lists the words in question. It lists μισεῖ as the word "hates". How does this support your claim?

Apparantly as I understand there is no equivalent of the English word hate in Greek.
The first link you shared contradicts this. To be honest, I have trouble understanding your second link. I especially have trouble understanding who is stating what and what qualifications they have for making the claims they make.

Perhaps it'd be easier to understand if you shared your understanding of Greek and why you have reached the conclusion you have based on that understanding.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #9

Post by brianbbs67 »

Tcg wrote:
This link simply lists the words in question. It lists μισεῖ as the word "hates". How does this support your claim?

Apparantly as I understand there is no equivalent of the English word hate in Greek.
The first link you shared contradicts this. To be honest, I have trouble understanding your second link. I especially have trouble understanding who is stating what and what qualifications they have for making the claims they make.

Perhaps it'd be easier to understand if you shared your understanding of Greek and why you have reached the conclusion you have based on that understanding.
The first was listed to show the words.

The second to show that hate is not a direct translation. Read the last response at the bottom. I did a random search but just to show the general consensus of hate as we know it did not apply here. Look around yourself and you will find that most don't ascribe to the English connotation of the term. I am only a fledgling in my knowledge of Koine. But, having searched longly, most scholars agree, loved less is a better fit(Greeks had about 4 words for love). Your results may vary. Search for yourself and see what you find.

https://www.mcleanbible.org/sites/defau ... apter3.pdf

I am glad that someone is actually questioning those here, though. Its good for us all. (I was wrong once...)

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

brianbbs67 wrote:
Tcg wrote:

Perhaps it'd be easier to understand if you shared
The first was listed to show the words.
And as I already explained, it lists the word μισεῖ (the Greek word in question) as "hates".

The second to show that hate is not a direct translation. Read the last response at the bottom. I did a random search but just to show the general consensus of hate as we know it did not apply here.
I didn't ask you to explain the second link. I asked you to explain "your understanding of Greek and why you have reached the conclusion you have based on that understanding.

Look around yourself and you will find that most don't ascribe to the English connotation of the term.
You'll need to provide evidence of that claim given that it is indeed your claim.

I am only a fledgling in my knowledge of Koine. But, having searched longly, most scholars agree, loved less is a better fit(Greeks had about 4 words for love). Your results may vary. Search for yourself and see what you find.
Once again, you'll need to support this claim with evidence. When doing so, remember that the word in question is "hate", not "love".
The word/words translated as "love" aren't under question here.

I am glad that someone is actually questioning those here, though. Its good for us all. (I was wrong once...)
Just once? That's quite a record!