what is the purpose of the Gospels anyway?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

dio9
Under Probation

what is the purpose of the Gospels anyway?

Post #1

Post by dio9 »

The purpose the Gospels were written was to proclaim Jesus was the Lord, messiah, son of God. Never meant to be historic.

The history of Jesus ' life is sketchy at best like an outline. The historic outline simply put is Jesus was a holy man popular in Galilee for his words and works. When he went to Jerusalem to celebrate Passover, he got in trouble with the temple authorities and was railroaded to the cross. That's the historic outline.

But the purpose of the Gospel is to convince people Jesus is the Christ.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #2

Post by The Tanager »

What do you mean by them never meaning to be historic? That nothing in the Gospels physically happened in history? That it is a mix of history and fiction? What do you think it means for the Gospel writers to think Jesus is the Christ?

dio9
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to The Tanager]

The historic facts don't matter to me really, history is what it is. What's important is the lesson conveyed . I think you know what that is. When and where Jesus was born doesn't matter . What matters is knowing he was the son of God. I knew Jesus was the son of God and savior even before I could read the Gospels, My parents taught me about Jesus Christ .
I' m think the Gospels were written by earnest church men , Historicity is not important, I trust his words and works are true.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #4

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to post 3 by dio9]

Thanks for the clarification of your thoughts.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #5

Post by brianbbs67 »

How can all the words of the gospels all be true, If some are added 100s of years later? Like Mark 16:9 to the end...If inspired by God(or thought so), why is that not clearly marked, like the red for Christ? I think pink would be a good choice. Meaning, we are somewhat sure this belongs but not 100%. And that it was added by X in the year X.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: what is the purpose of the Gospels anyway?

Post #6

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 1 by dio9]
But the purpose of the Gospel is to convince people Jesus is the Christ.
John says that was why he wrote his Gospel.
John 20:

30 Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book.
31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to post 3 by dio9]
I' m think the Gospels were written by earnest church men , Historicity is not important, I trust his words and works are true.
His words and works are only true if they are accurate records of what actually took place in history.

However, each Gospel is a biography rather than a history.

Luke's introduction, like John's conclusion, gives valuable insight into where they are coming from.
Luke 1:

1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been accomplished among us,
2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word.

3 With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus,
4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by dio9 »

Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 3 by dio9]
His words and works are only true if they are accurate records of what actually took place in history.

However, each Gospel is a biography rather than a history.

Luke's introduction, like John's conclusion, gives valuable insight into where they are coming from.
Luke 1:

1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been accomplished among us,
2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word.

3 With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus,
4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.

Luke clearly intends to write a more orderly account after carefully investigating everything handed down from those who were eyewitnesses. Likewise I guess Matthew Mark and John carefully investigated what was handed down and wrote their Gospels to the best of their ability. There are differences but more so similarities .these are probably close to what happened.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by polonius »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to The Tanager]

The historic facts don't matter to me really, history is what it is. What's important is the lesson conveyed . I think you know what that is. When and where Jesus was born doesn't matter . What matters is knowing he was the son of God. I knew Jesus was the son of God and savior even before I could read the Gospels, My parents taught me about Jesus Christ .
QUESTION:

So they might not really be historical (actually happened)? But you believe them anyway?

dio9
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to polonius.advice]

Yes, I believe to the best of their ability they wrote as best they could what had been passed down to them by eyewitnesses.