End Times Theology, Nuclear Detonations, and Gambling

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

What do you think will become of this? (No bets please :p)

Poll ended at Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:32 am

I will be banned from the forums there
No votes
I will not be banned, but no-one will wager any money
100%
I will win a small amount of money (<$50)
No votes
I will win a good bit of money (>$50)
No votes
I will "win" but nobody will pay up.
No votes
I will lose and my $100 *might* go to the NYC recovery fund
No votes

Total votes: 2

ENIGMA
Sage

End Times Theology, Nuclear Detonations, and Gambling

Post #1

Post by ENIGMA »

After reading over FSTDT, I've come across a site which claims to predict when a nuclear weapon will detonate over the UN building in New York.

Source
We have indeed made 4 large visible nuclear mistakes so far. But fortunately we do not hold to the doctrine of papal infallibility. So we can learn from our mistakes rather than pretending that we never make any. The new info we learn from each mistake helps us to home in on the precise date.

This is what we have learned...
The UN in Midtown Manhattan will be hit by a sea borne nuclear bomb sometime in the Biblical month of Tammuz, i.e. before Sundown July 28th, 2006. We expect this to happen on 2006Tammuz28/29 i.e. between Sundown Tuesday July 25th and Sundown Thursday July 27th, 2006.

We do apologise for our incompetence at getting the day right. But we do still have the month right in our understanding and we now have a new day for this disaster. So we again strongly advise anyone in New York City with any faith in God, whatever his religion, or whatever his distrust of organised religion, to be outside the city this time between Tuesday evening July 25th and Thursday evening July 27th.
Now, they have gotten the date wrong 4 times in a row. Considering a previous statement that:
"We are now 98% confident that the UN Plaza will be hit by a terrorist nuclear bomb between Thursday evening June 29th and Tuesday evening July 4th, 2006"
I thought it was time to see about those odds.

There is an attached forum to the site, although it requires a free sign-up to read. So I made my proposal....
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #2

Post by ENIGMA »

My initial post:
ENIGMA wrote:I was wondering about the prospects of having a wager concerning the truth of the next suggested attack on the UN as stated below.

"The UN in Midtown Manhattan will be hit by a sea borne nuclear bomb sometime in the Biblical month of Tammuz, i.e. before Sundown July 28th, 2006. We expect this to happen on 2006Tammuz28/29 i.e. between Sundown Tuesday July 25th and Sundown Thursday July 27th, 2006."

Considering one of the previous claims:

"We are now 98% confident that the UN Plaza will be hit by a terrorist nuclear bomb between Thursday evening June 29th and Tuesday evening July 4th, 2006"

I should be able to find some takers at 40+:1 odds for the destruction of the UN by nukes. However, I am willing to accept a wager at any odds at this point.

I am willing to wager $100 that no such destruction of the UN happens in the specified timeframe above. I am in the Southeast US, far away from any resulting blast, so rest assured that I will be able and willing to uphold my end of the wager. You may spend the resulting $100 in any manner you wish, including donating it to charity, so no objections on the basis of wealth acquisition should arise.

My offer may be withdrawn at any time before July 25th if the betting reflects greater than 3:1 odds against such an attack.

Any questions and any takers?
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #3

Post by ENIGMA »

Reply and response to reply:
ENIGMA wrote:
Jake wrote:"I believe Christians dont gamble away their money."
Wrong on two counts.

Firstly because, to my knowledge, there is no prohibition against gambling in the Bible.

Secondly, because the main site on which this forum is based asks no less of those to whom it is directed.

"So we again strongly advise anyone in New York City with any faith in God, whatever his religion, or whatever his distrust of organised religion, to be outside the city this time between Tuesday evening July 25th and Thursday evening July 27th."

Do you think that fleeing the city with whatever prized posessions one would like not to be destroyed in a nuclear blast is free? It costs, both in time and in money, and at this point judging from the numerous false starts, even to anyone who still believes it will happen, it is quite clearly a gamble as to when.

You are asking people to bet their money in exchange for saving their lives in case your prophesy comes true.

I am merely using the medium of betting to determine how much you really believe that this event will actually occur. It is obviously not 98% confidence, judging from the current turnout.

Do you believe that accepting this bet will somehow influence the outcome; God delaying the event for a week to show you the folly of gambling, perhaps? In that case your small expenditure could give millions of people an extra week of life that they otherwise would lack.

If you are not confident in your predictions, then do not presume to ask any significant portion of NYC to evacuate.

If you are, then I fail to see what the problem is. If you have no desire to gain wealth for yourself, then gain it for a charity, or for your church. Perhaps you could donate it to the NYC emergency relief fund that will inevitably arise after the event.

-Going Postal, Discworld

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Cathar1950 »

Good news from your site:
"Let It Be Known God, Hath No Mercy On Your Souls. Such Scorn and Anger Is To Be Replied With A Just and Brilliant Damning Strike. You Shall Burn Like For Your Heathen Sins Against The Christ, and My Holy Father. Your Maccabre Lust For The Unholy Shall Mark You As Scourge and Spit From Heavens Gate. Redemption nor Repenting Need Not Trouble Your Thoughts For Your Fate Is Sealed. Sealed With a Kiss That Shall Bury Your Infestion of Sin To Lucifer's Chambers Himself. Let Him Deal With His Glorious Burden Himself. I Pity You For The Maelstorm You Are About to Enter Is UnRelenting and The Grace of God Nor Any Divine Intervention Is Denied To You."
I am glad we have rules at this forum.
Now having relations with somone of the same sex is a sin because God started this earth with the two human beings being a man and a woman.
I enjoyed that one. Depending on which man woman story God created man first all alone with no mate. After God saw his oversight he made woman. Also Adam wasn't game for the animals.
So it seems he(the big guy) made man alone. What does that tell you about the proper sex acts?

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #5

Post by ENIGMA »

Cathar1950 wrote:Good news from your site:
"Let It Be Known God, Hath No Mercy On Your Souls. Such Scorn and Anger Is To Be Replied With A Just and Brilliant Damning Strike. You Shall Burn Like For Your Heathen Sins Against The Christ, and My Holy Father. Your Maccabre Lust For The Unholy Shall Mark You As Scourge and Spit From Heavens Gate. Redemption nor Repenting Need Not Trouble Your Thoughts For Your Fate Is Sealed. Sealed With a Kiss That Shall Bury Your Infestion of Sin To Lucifer's Chambers Himself. Let Him Deal With His Glorious Burden Himself. I Pity You For The Maelstorm You Are About to Enter Is UnRelenting and The Grace of God Nor Any Divine Intervention Is Denied To You."
Heh, apparently just like a Discworld Golem, all their words begin with upper case letters, and they can't think or do anything other than what the words in their head tell them to do. :P

-Going Postal, Discworld

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Cathar1950 »

I keep wondering; where is the love? :(

I often cringe when I hear evangelicals pray for Israel and realize if what they say is true then only 144000 virgin male Jews will be saved. Even Hitler didn’t have aspirations that high. I don’t think I would last long at that site.

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by Wyvern »

Oops, I guess they are going to have to make a new prediction, they got it wrong yet again.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Cathar1950 »

There is still a chance they could be right.
Don't give up hope.