Have we anything to learn from the prophets?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Have we anything to learn from the prophets?

Post #1

Post by marco »

If it were possible to invite one of the old prophets into our house, have him deloused and given a long bath, what could he tell us, assuming conversation were possible? Perhaps we could surprise him by flicking on a light and announcing "Let there be light!"

I am often told to read my OT and learn from it. Perhaps I will be advised to beat children lest they get spoiled; kill witches and homosexuals; or on the positive side I might hope and trust in the Lord, live frugally and treat others well.

What do the prophets tell us we don't already know? Are they redundant?

marco
Savant

Re: Have we anything to learn from the prophets?

Post #31

Post by marco »

JehovahsWitness wrote: What is God's name?

Thant you for all that information on God's name. The single syllable term, God, would surely suffice. One wonders if there is as much information on God's address.

I'm not sure that this profits the OP on the prophets.

bluethread
Savant

Post #32

Post by bluethread »

The question seems a bit presumptuous. What do "we know"? On the other hand, of course, they tell us something we do not know. Every writing tells us something we do not know, unless it is just a word for word copy of something else. If you are asking whether the prophet taught principles that are different from those one finds in HaTorah, why is that necessary? Is there no value in the same principles being presented in a different way? I must say that, IMO, every single Disney princess movie is just a retelling of the same story in a little different way. Yet, little girls seem to find each of them valuable.

marco
Savant

Post #33

Post by marco »

bluethread wrote: The question seems a bit presumptuous. What do "we know"? On the other hand, of course, they tell us something we do not know. Every writing tells us something we do not know, unless it is just a word for word copy of something else. If you are asking whether the prophet taught principles that are different from those one finds in HaTorah, why is that necessary? Is there no value in the same principles being presented in a different way? I must say that, IMO, every single Disney princess movie is just a retelling of the same story in a little different way. Yet, little girls seem to find each of them valuable.

Yes, if you're saying we can learn from what is regarded as rubbish, you're right. I learned a lot from reading comics that my English teacher would have scorned, yet in a football story in one of them, mention was made of Dr.Faustus.

I don't doubt that an old prophet might have told us something about ancient architecture or the honey supply in days ancient. I was thinking in terms of the prophets giving us knowledge to further our civilisation in some way; I don't see that they do that. One can grow tired of hearing of dews on the mountains of Gilboa and drinking from fresh streams and sacrificing the best of bulls.

bluethread
Savant

Post #34

Post by bluethread »

marco wrote:
Yes, if you're saying we can learn from what is regarded as rubbish, you're right. I learned a lot from reading comics that my English teacher would have scorned, yet in a football story in one of them, mention was made of Dr.Faustus.

I don't doubt that an old prophet might have told us something about ancient architecture or the honey supply in days ancient. I was thinking in terms of the prophets giving us knowledge to further our civilisation in some way; I don't see that they do that. One can grow tired of hearing of dews on the mountains of Gilboa and drinking from fresh streams and sacrificing the best of bulls.
If you are noting that the comic book writer was playing on the story of Faust, sure it does add little to the novel. However, by the same token, why even read Faust? That is just an "old story" from 480 years ago. Also, what does that tell us about Johann Georg Faust, who had died some 47 years earlier?

This reminds me of when the powdered food craze was going on some 40 years ago. I thought it might be the wave of the future, until it was pointed out to me that there is more to food than nutrients. It is the same with literature. There is a basic economic principle at play here. Value is established by the buyer. To some people the Prophets have no value whatsoever, to others, like myself, they are rather valuable. For me, that is because they help to refine and reinforce earlier principles. Also, if one is to just throw out the "old writings" one is stuck reinventing the wheel every generation, as animals do. The fact that we build on the past sets us apart from the animals.

marco
Savant

Post #35

Post by marco »

bluethread wrote:
marco wrote:

If you are noting that the comic book writer was playing on the story of Faust, sure it does add little to the novel. However, by the same token, why even read Faust? That is just an "old story" from 480 years ago. Also, what does that tell us about Johann Georg Faust, who had died some 47 years earlier?

This reminds me of when the powdered food craze was going on some 40 years ago. I thought it might be the wave of the future, until it was pointed out to me that there is more to food than nutrients. It is the same with literature. There is a basic economic principle at play here. Value is established by the buyer. To some people the Prophets have no value whatsoever, to others, like myself, they are rather valuable. For me, that is because they help to refine and reinforce earlier principles. Also, if one is to just throw out the "old writings" one is stuck reinventing the wheel every generation, as animals do. The fact that we build on the past sets us apart from the animals.

That is beautifully said. Yes, perhaps I was merely seeking a refutation rather than rejoicing in confirmation of what I said. To spurn old writings would of course be wrong. I find a certain poignancy in reading the living thought of authors dead for several millennia. Go well.

PS: I meant simply that I acquired some useful information from a football story in a comic; I wasn't commenting on the merits of Faustus in any of his appearances.

bluethread
Savant

Post #36

Post by bluethread »

marco wrote:
PS: I meant simply that I acquired some useful information from a football story in a comic; I wasn't commenting on the merits of Faustus in any of his appearances.
Well, you might want to go to the attic and revisit those comics. The artist my have had much more insight than you recognized at first. That is one reason why I go through the Scriptures every year. It seems every time I go through them I find something I did not see before.