Alteration and additions to scripture

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Alteration and additions to scripture

Post #1

Post by polonius »

70 AD Mark 8 27 Jesus went on with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi; and on the way he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that I am?"
28 And they answered him, "John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets."
29 He asked them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered him, "You are the Messiah."
30 And he sternly ordered them not to tell anyone about him.

80 AD Luke 9 Once when Jesus was praying alone, with only the disciples near him, he asked them, "Who do the crowds say that I am?"
19 They answered, "John the Baptist; but others, Elijah; and still others, that one of the ancient prophets has arisen."
20 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered, "The Messiah of God."
21 He sternly ordered and commanded them not to tell anyone,

80 AD Matthew 16 13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?"
14 And they said, "Some say John the Baptist, but others Elijah, and still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."
17 And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven.
18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it.
19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven
."
20 Then he sternly ordered the disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.

Both Matthew and Luke writing in about 80 AD copied from Mark written about 70 AD. But Matthew is seriously flawed by an addition (see underlined above) not found in the original writing of Mark. It also contains two errors. Can anyone spot them?

Jack
Apprentice

Re: First seven books of the bible as history?

Post #21

Post by Jack »

[Replying to polonius]

Like I said years and number amounts may be inaccurate. The Bible is not a history book. Ancient scribes actually used numbers in some parts to convey a different meaning other than a number value. Words for numbers had other meanings in Hebrew.

We do have archeological proof of Israel entering and leaving Egypt. See , Archeological evidence of the Exodus Kolbe Center.

Jack
Apprentice

Post #22

Post by Jack »

What proof is there that Mark wrote his Gospel first?

Jack
Apprentice

Post #23

Post by Jack »

How does when in time a testimony is given make it more or less accurate?

Also the differences in the gospels are not a matter of accuracy, but a difference of details.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #24

Post by brianbbs67 »

This is a list I have composed of verses added or added to by copiest.

Imagebbibleadditions by brianbbs67, on Flickr

Must learn google docs for a better copy.

polonius
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by polonius »

Jack wrote: What proof is there that Mark wrote his Gospel first?
RESPONSE: Common sense. If Luke and particularly Matthew copied so much from Mark, obviously Mark existed first.

From the New American Bible: Introduction to Matthew

The ancient tradition that the author was the disciple and apostle of Jesus named Matthew (see Mt 10:3) is untenable because the gospel is based, in large part, on the Gospel according to Mark (almost all the verses of that gospel have been utilized in this), and it is hardly likely that a companion of Jesus would have followed so extensively an account that came from one who admittedly never had such an association rather than rely on his own memories.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #26

Post by brianbbs67 »

polonius wrote:
Jack wrote: What proof is there that Mark wrote his Gospel first?
RESPONSE: Common sense. If Luke and particularly Matthew copied so much from Mark, obviously Mark existed first.

From the New American Bible: Introduction to Matthew

The ancient tradition that the author was the disciple and apostle of Jesus named Matthew (see Mt 10:3) is untenable because the gospel is based, in large part, on the Gospel according to Mark (almost all the verses of that gospel have been utilized in this), and it is hardly likely that a companion of Jesus would have followed so extensively an account that came from one who admittedly never had such an association rather than rely on his own memories.

It can be that or the elusive"Q" source we have not found. Mark, from my studies, was a secretary to Peter and possible later Paul. Written around 85 AD. And ending at 16:8. Matthew was originally called the Sayings of Yeshua Christ. And was a collection of quotes later organized and called Matthew in about 135. Luke admits he is later. John has an outside chance of being John the Apostle. But, comes in around 95 AD.