Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zog Has-fallen
Banned
Banned

The Greatest Error in the Seventh-day Adventist Church

Post #1

Post by Zog Has-fallen »

There is an infamous, unwritten, 29th fundamental belief in the Seventh-day Adventist church. This belief is required of all Seventh-day Adventists. All church members are expected to believe that the Seventh-day Adventist church constitutes a "holy order." Consequently, naturally, loyalty toward God and the expected reverence for the holiness of God's endtime movement means that we are to believe in the exemplary character and presumed righteousness of the SDA leadership.

This unquestionable expectation is a false doctrine.

Ellen G. White, the church prophetess, wrote:

One who sees beneath the surface, who reads the hearts of all men, says of those who have had great light: "They are not afflicted and astonished because of their moral and spiritual condition." Yea, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations. I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before Mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not." "God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie," because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved," "but had pleasure in unrighteousness." Isaiah 66:3, 4; 2 Thessalonians 2:11, 10, 12. {8T 249.2}

The heavenly Teacher inquired: "What stronger delusion can beguile the mind than the pretense that you are building on the right foundation and that God accepts your works, when in reality you are working out many things according to worldly policy and are sinning against Jehovah? Oh, it is a great deception, a fascinating delusion, that takes possession of minds when men who have once known the truth, mistake the form of godliness for the spirit and power thereof; when they suppose that they are rich and increased with goods and in need of nothing, while in reality they are in need of everything." {8T 249.3}

God has not changed toward His faithful servants who are keeping their garments spotless. But many are crying, "Peace and safety," while sudden destruction is coming upon them. Unless there is thorough repentance, unless men humble their hearts by confession and receive the truth as it is in Jesus, they will never enter heaven. When purification shall take place in our ranks, we shall no longer rest at ease, boasting of being rich and increased with goods, in need of nothing. {8T 250.1}

Who can truthfully say: "Our gold is tried in the fire; our garments are unspotted by the world"? I saw our Instructor pointing to the garments of so-called righteousness. Stripping them off, He laid bare the defilement beneath. Then He said to me: "Can you not see how they have pretentiously covered up their defilement and rottenness of character? 'How is the faithful city become an harlot!' My Father's house is made a house of merchandise, a place whence the divine presence and glory have departed! For this cause there is weakness, and strength is lacking." {8T 250.2}

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #2

Post by brianbbs67 »

What is the debate topic for this? Seems more like a statement to me.

Zog Has-fallen
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Zog Has-fallen »

brianbbs67 wrote: What is the debate topic for this? Seems more like a statement to me.
Every debate topic is a statement that is true for some and false for others.
Presently, the fundamental beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist church are defined as the hierarchy's official list of 28 articles of faith.
These fundamental beliefs are far-reaching. The 18th belief, titled, The Gift of Prophecy says:
The Scriptures testify that one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and we believe it was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G. White. Her writings speak with prophetic authority and provide comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction to the church.

Zog Has-fallen
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Zog Has-fallen »

brianbbs67 wrote: What is the debate topic for this? Seems more like a statement to me.

Zog Has-fallen
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Zog Has-fallen »

brianbbs67 wrote:What is the debate topic for this? Seems more like a statement to me.
Every debate topic is a statement that is true for some persons and false for others.

And I'm happy to clarify my topic further. Every church except the Remnant church has at least one faulty doctrine. And sometimes the most faulty doctrine of a church stands out as being painfully obvious.

Let me illustrate.

Presently, the fundamental beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist church are defined as the hierarchy's official list of 28 articles of faith. These fundamental beliefs are far-reaching. In particular, the 18th belief, titled, The Gift of Prophecy, says:
The Scriptures testify that one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and we believe it was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G. White. Her writings speak with prophetic authority and provide comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction to the church.
Since it's assumed that Ellen G. White was given a startling denunciation of the SDA church by the heavenly Teacher (see the opening post), then that masterfully refutes the Seventh-day Adventist claim of their church being the Remnant Church.

What could be more indisputable than that?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by ttruscott »

Zog Has-fallen wrote: What could be more indisputable than that?
You don't explain who the heavenly teacher is...it's sort of important. It would seem to be White herself so why would she be knocking her own theology? A house divided and all that?
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Zog Has-fallen
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Zog Has-fallen »

ttruscott wrote:You don't explain who the heavenly teacher is.

Note the first line: "One who sees beneath the surface, who reads the hearts of all men, says of those who have had great light:" and this corrected version of the first paragraph:

One who sees beneath the surface, who reads the hearts of all men, says of those who have had great light: "They are not afflicted and astonished because of their moral and spiritual condition." "Yea, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations. I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before Mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not." "God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie," "because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved," "but had pleasure in unrighteousness." Isaiah 66:3, 4; 2 Thessalonians 2:11, 10, 12. {8T 249.2}

I apologize for quoting a faulty source. The Comprehensive Research Edition of Ellen White's Writings (2008) on CD is missing two quotation marks in this paragraph which, I now see, are present in the hardbound book copy of Ellen White's Testimonies For The Church Volume 8, p. 249.