Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Some Difficulties

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

I have lately encountered at least two issues in this forum I find to be problematical.

The first issue I have is with my being told that I cannot use an acronym that I call "TIMITS." In case you don't know, TIMITS stands for The Invisible Man In The Sky. I have explained in the apologetics subforum exactly why I use that acronym for any god people might believe in but especially the Bible god. I even cited Bible passages to demonstrate how each of the traits of TIMITS appear in the Bible. I think I should be permitted to use this term.

The second issue is my being told by a moderator that I need to post a question for debate in my OPs. But I did post a question for debate in that OP, and I copied and pasted it into another post to prove it. Moderators should have good reading comprehension.

Finally, that same moderator told me my OP "rambled." I strongly disagree that it rambled. I take pride in all of my posts, and I work hard to make them as clear, informative, logical and relevant as I can. That OP was no exception.

So I'm still hoping that this forum is different from the other forums I've dealt with. I've been in some real zoos in which the biggest trolls are the moderators. Moderators should fairly and intelligently deal with members allowing them to post their opinions on the subject matter.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #11

Post by Jagella »

Overcomer wrote: ...please have some respect for us. You don't have to agree with us, but you could at least be polite.
It's too late. The gag rule has been rescinded. I am now free to express my thoughts on the Christian religion, and it feels great!

As I see it, anybody who demands censorship of heretical ideas is lacking confidence in her own faith. What faith truly authored by an all-mighty god could possibly be vulnerable to criticism? Jesus is quoted as saying as much in Matthew 5:12:
Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
So I see a rather striking lack of gladness and rejoicing among Jesus' followers who are quick to play the hurt-feelings card whenever their beliefs are criticized.

Finally, you may have missed the name of this forum. It's called "Debating Christianity." When you debate your beliefs, you are likely to encounter alien ideas. If you cannot tolerate dissent, then the last place to frequent is a place in which dissent is the very center of attention.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 7 by otseng]

bjs is harassing me for exercising my free speech use of TIMITS. Please let him know that you have granted me permission to use that term.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Jagella »

Overcomer wrote: Jagella wrote:
Marco is the moderator who forbid me to use the term, "TIMITS." His reasoning is that it is an insult to Christian belief.
And it is. So please have some respect for us. You don't have to agree with us, but you could at least be polite.
But I am respectful toward everybody Christians included.

It does seem very strange to me that people who really believe in an all-mighty god would become so defensive. Don't you believe that he's on your side and therefore cannot lose?

I never did get a response to my citing Matthew 5:11-12 in which Jesus is quoted as saying:
“Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
So why are your feelings in conflict with what Jesus commanded?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #14

Post by Bust Nak »

Jagella wrote: bjs is harassing me for exercising my free speech use of TIMITS.
Moderator Comment

Not a good idea to call it harassment, we are just trying to do our job. It is still best to take this to PM if you are not happy, even after otseng said you can discuss it in the open in this case.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

otseng
Savant

Post #15

Post by otseng »

Jagella wrote: As I see it, anybody who demands censorship of heretical ideas is lacking confidence in her own faith.
As long as it's supported by logic and evidence, heretical ideas are certainly welcome here on this forum.
When you debate your beliefs, you are likely to encounter alien ideas. If you cannot tolerate dissent, then the last place to frequent is a place in which dissent is the very center of attention.
I would agree.
Jagella wrote:
Overcomer wrote: Jagella wrote:
Marco is the moderator who forbid me to use the term, "TIMITS." His reasoning is that it is an insult to Christian belief.
And it is. So please have some respect for us. You don't have to agree with us, but you could at least be polite.
But I am respectful toward everybody Christians included.
Marco is not a Christian. So, it was not a Christian that said TIMITS would be an insult.

As a Christian, I would not consider it to be an insult. I've heard much worse. But it is unconventional. If you use a term that nobody knows, people can attach their own definition to it, which could have an insulting meaning.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Jagella »

otseng wrote:If you use a term that nobody knows, people can attach their own definition to it, which could have an insulting meaning.
I find it insulting to be told I'm a sinner worthy of damnation and that my own efforts are "filthy rags." (Isaiah 64:6) So...does it not matter that I'm insulted or offended by Christian beliefs? As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter that much to me. I'd never call for censorship of Christian beliefs because they offend me. I'm a big boy, and I can live with offenses.

I should point out that if my use of TIMITS was censored, then it would be a suppression of the truth. I've argued extensively how it is indeed a very accurate model of the Bible god.

Anyway, I've found this forum to be very open and relatively fair in how it is moderated. I think that allowing all dissent here is important in keeping it vibrant and a voice for all people regardless of their beliefs.

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Peds nurse »

Hi Jagella! I hope you are well!

I find your questions very hard to understand in the OP. It however, could just be my rusty debating skills and the song, "Baby Shark" stuck in my head. This is an amazing debating site, and the moderators are top notch! Wishing you well!

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Jagella »

Peds nurse wrote: Hi Jagella! I hope you are well!

I find your questions very hard to understand in the OP. It however, could just be my rusty debating skills and the song, "Baby Shark" stuck in my head. This is an amazing debating site, and the moderators are top notch! Wishing you well!
If you don't understand something, then you should ask questions.

Is it the map and the geography that people don't get?

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Peds nurse »

Jagella wrote:
Peds nurse wrote: Hi Jagella! I hope you are well!

Jagella wrote:If you don't understand something, then you should ask questions.

Is it the map and the geography that people don't get?
Hello Jagella!

I am not sure what map or geography you are referring to, but I will in the future be sure to ask questions!

Have a blessed day!

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

I don't get it.

Post #20

Post by kcplusdc@yahoo.com »

I'm totally blown away that somehow you have decided that all God models fall under the jurisdiction of your acronym, and that people should be forced to debate using this term because you explained it......

As stated in the op by Jagella.
"I have explained in the apologetics subforum exactly why I use that acronym for any god people might believe in but especially the Bible god."

Your explanation was a odd batch of cherry picked bible verses.
Oddly, christians are often called out for using that type of argument, but no matter.
My impression of your explanation was that you seemed to ignore everyone, and carry on regardless of what anyone pointed out to you. Atheist, theist or otherwise.
Since I'm not a Christian, I see no need to argue for them, but your Acronym misses the mark with them as far as beliefm Extending TIMITS to define any God someone believes in seems silly.
People have to agree on terms, otherwise why debate.