Why did peter

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

WPG12
Student

Why did peter

Post #1

Post by WPG12 »

In the book of John, peter decides to go fishing. The other disciples decide to go with him. When one disciple realizes it is Jesus on the shore, peter puts his clothes on and jumps out of the boat. He abandoned the work he started and left others to finish the work he started. Not caring that the others wanted to see him just as bad as peter did. Peter was always impetious and selfish.

When the others finally got the nets to the shore, Jesus asked them to bring their catch to him, peter ran and took of the catch he abandoned to bring to them. Always taking credit for what he didn't do.

Jesus, knowing peter would be sent to that "other flock", the gentiles he was told to go to, and knowing peter would jump out of that boat, also. Admonishes him asking peter if peter loves him and telling peter to feed the sheep. The gentiles peter would be sent to would become, the "body of Christ" that peter was sent to, to do the work in feeding the flock. Peter always cared about what men thought of him, and always being disobedient, jumped out of that boat when "those who came from james" caused him to fall away.

How can it be said that Jesus was restoring peter to a position he never really had in the first place, and not admonishing Peter's selfishness and disobedience, warning him not to do what he had just done in abandoning his brothers and the work he started? Whole theologies are built on this story, and the idea that Jesus was putting peter in a place peter should never have been put.

If Jesus was rewarding Peter's selfish, impetious, disobedience then it cannot be said that Jesus was a just man.

WPG12
Student

Re: Why did peter

Post #51

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to brianbbs67]

That faith was just being planted, it was new, just beginning to grow. James was demanding it grow fruit, which was impossible. It was not close to being ready.

WPG12
Student

Post #52

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to post 50 by showme]

Jihadists share in your faith?

showme
Sage

Post #53

Post by showme »

WPG12 wrote: [Replying to brianbbs67]

That faith was just being planted, it was new, just beginning to grow. James was demanding it grow fruit, which was impossible. It was not close to being ready.

You might want to just read what James had to say about good fruit, and faith based non fruit. James 2:14-19

The rotten fruit of the false prophets (Matthew 7:15) would come under the example of the Inquisition of the Church, which had 1200 years to hone, and their handling of the preditory priest.

WPG12
Student

Post #54

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to post 53 by showme]

Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
James 2:18 KJV

I have, more than once, and this is the exact same message of his brothers who did not believe him. Show your works so they will believe.

Maybe you should read the things Jesus said.

And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole.
Luke 17:19 KJV

And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.
Luke 8:48 KJV

And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.
Mark 5:34 KJV

And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed Jesus in the way.
Mark 10:52 KJV

And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any, Came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched. And Jesus said, Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and they that were with him said, Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me? And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me. And when the woman saw that she was not hid, she came trembling, and falling down before him, she declared unto him before all the people for what cause she had touched him, and how she was healed immediately. And he said unto her, Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.
Luke 8:43‭-‬48 KJV

When God gave this woman the understanding that if she only touched him she would be made whole, she was then able to reach out and do what she understood, without seeing what the rest around her didn't, she could would not have been made whole.

Faith is seeing, understanding the work that needs to be done, without faith our work is nothing. Through faith we are saved, by the grace of God. Never by our own works, if it we're by our own work, god would then owe us for the work we've done.

showme
Sage

Post #55

Post by showme »

[Replying to WPG12]

You seem to be a little more than a little confused. Yeshua and his disciples healed the people to show the power of the kingdom of heaven. This was done by Yeshua forgiving their sins, but telling them to sin no more, less something worse happens to you. You, nor your church can forgive sins, nor can they heal. This on the other hand has little to do with "good fruit", which is another topic altogether. You multiply words, but show you lack understanding of what you are talking about.

WPG12
Student

Post #56

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to showme]

Not confused at all, thanks