Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

"TIMITS" Revisited: Is it correct to describe the

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

Due to popular demand, I've decided to again tackle the subject of what may or may not be an accurate description of the Bible god. I think it's safe to say that most Christians would reject or at least not affirm that the god they believe in can be accurately described as "The Invisible Man In The Sky." They probably feel that "TIMITS" is not a name that most people can respect because it makes the Bible god appear to be mythological or even the product a a child's imagination.

While I think the name TIMITS fits well, another member here disagrees.
tam wrote: Invisible

Might have a problem here. Just because something is unseen does not mean that it is invisible. My brother lives on the other side of the country; I cannot see him, but he is not invisible.

God dwells in the spiritual realm (in unapproachable light). We may not currently see Him; but that does not mean He is invisible; nor does it mean that other spirit beings cannot see Him. As well, what would be the point of God saying, 'No one can see me and live'... if He was invisible, if no one could see Him, ever? Would He not have said instead, "No one can see me because I am invisible"?

"No one can see me and live" implies rather than that He is too powerful a being for us to physically (stand in His presence and) see Him. At least not in this vessel (the body that we currently inhabit).

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
This argument is very easy to disprove. The Bible god is indeed invisible. Just read Colossians 1:15:
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.
Question for Debate: Would anybody else like to affirm or deny that the Bible god is The Invisible Man In The Sky?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #121

Post by Jagella »

historia wrote: First, as I mentioned above, artwork is not authoritative in determining Christian doctrine. Any argument that rests on artwork is dubious, to say the least.
In the context of this discussion, Christian artwork depicting the Bible god as being very clearly in the sky is very relevant. We are discussing what view Christians have of the Bible god. If Christian artists depict him in the sky, then that's where they probably think he is!

Where do you think these images come from? They are based in the Bible and Christian theology.

Quoting a handful of early Christians that most Christians probably never even heard of does little to make your case that the Bible god is not believed to be in the sky.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #122

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 115 by historia]
Theophilus of Antioch said that the Bible god is "everywhere present." If he is everywhere (an absurd notion even more ridiculous than to say he's in the sky), then he's in the sky! You know--everywhere would include the sky.
Much like Goose, I'm left scratching my head at this argument. You seem to recognize here that Theophilus is saying that God is everywhere (which is correct) and that this is therefore different than saying that God lives in the sky. But then in the very same sentence, you suggest this supports that idea. Bizarre.
LOL. So it's "correct" to say the Bible god is everywhere? I'm wondering how Theophilus of Antioch figured all that out.

But I'm saying the opposite of what you think I'm saying. If the Bible god is everywhere (the "correct" viewpoint), then he would be in the sky. So the two views are not completely different.

So the very "evidence" you posted actually supports the TIMITS model in that the Bible god would be in the sky if Theophilus of Antioch is right.

And who really cares about this Theophilus of Antioch whom few Christians have ever even heard of? Most Christians don't derive their view of the Bible god from such obscure figures but from Sunday school, church, movies, the internet and reading the Bible and other books. If you post evidence, then it should be relevant to the issue, and the issue here is what image of the Bible god most Christian have.
The point that Irenaeus is making here is that God cannot be contained in any fixed space, including heaven, since God is not contained by anything.
Maybe you missed it, but I already posted that in the TIMITS model the Bible god isn't really restricted to the sky. The sky is his "home" you might say, and like any other man, the Bible god isn't always home.
But that's the same thing as the sky. Again, these were superstitious and primitive people who knew nothing of modern cosmology. As they looked up to the sky they imagined a lot of things that weren't there like the "firmament" and the waters above it. And, of course, "the abode of God" was right up there in the sky above the imaginary firmament and the waters.
You've defeated your own argument here. Our modern idea of the "sky" corresponds to what ancient Jews and Christians considered the region below the firmament, which they also called the first heaven.
LOL! Hist, you need to read more carefully. Take another look at what I said. I said that the firmament, the "abode of God," and those mythological waters were ABOVE the sky. So yes, the sky would then be below the firmament as you say, and we are in agreement on that point.

But again, I think it's splitting hairs to argue that the Bible god was not placed in the sky since he was very close to and directly above the sky. It would be like saying space isn't in the sky.
God is in the tenth heaven, far beyond the sky, the planets, the stars, or anything else in the visible cosmos. That is obviously not the sky. It couldn't be more explicit.
Oh? How far is "far"? One mile?

So sorry, I just don't think you make a good case that the TIMITS model is "wrong." All you've done is cited the writings of obscure figures who lived long after "Bible times" who made some claims that in some ways actually support the TIMITS model.

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

Post #123

Post by kcplusdc@yahoo.com »

In civil debate I would imagine both sides would have to agree on terms that are established, existing or are thought to be a better explanations of a person's argument or steps involved there in. Randomly applying a new definition even if it may pass the cherry picked bible verse test in the context of debate and civility , regardless of my lack of belief or'not, seems incorrect to me.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #124

Post by Jagella »

kcplusdc@yahoo.com wrote: In civil debate I would imagine both sides would have to agree on terms that are established, existing or are thought to be a better explanations of a person's argument or steps involved there in. Randomly applying a new definition even if it may pass the cherry picked bible verse test in the context of debate and civility , regardless of my lack of belief or'not, seems incorrect to me.
I'm not hard to get along with, and I'm not out to insult anybody. If you can make a good case for TIMITS being nothing more than an insult to believers, then I won't use it anymore. It would be very helpful if you could explain why you object to the term.

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

My reply...

Post #125

As I did not reference anyone's hurt feels or insults in my response, I see no reason to defend a position regarding that.
I can't read people's minds and can't speak solidly about insults, as they are a personal state of being.
Regardless of how I try to characterize the intent of your teenage mutant ninja turtles idea, I still fault it as not being the agreed upon term for this debate, civil or otherwise.
As your new term, for an existing descriptive, is generally not going to be understood by anyone on either side any better than the existing term God, you don't get to use it.

When debating about Bob you create a language barrier if you decide to call Bob anything but Bob.
EVEN if you could prove Bob was only in the sky, it's still not his name. Why bother trying to intentionally distort Bob this way?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

The Names of God

Post #126

Post by Jagella »

kcplusdc@yahoo.com wrote: When debating about Bob you create a language barrier if you decide to call Bob anything but Bob.
EVEN if you could prove Bob was only in the sky, it's still not his name. Why bother trying to intentionally distort Bob this way?
Actually, there are many names for the Bible god including God, All-mighty God, El Shaddai, Yahweh, Jehovah, Heavenly Father, Holy Spirit, I Am, Lord, Jesus, and Christ. So TIMITS is just one more name for the Bible god. It is an acronym that is based on many Bible passages that describe the Bible god as invisible, a man, or in the sky. It has the advantage of being very descriptive and revealing.

Any objection to using TIMITS as a name for the Bible god appears to me to be a discomfort not with TIMITS being what Christians supposedly don't believe but with what they do believe. If we take a close look at what the Bible god really is, then the implausibility of his being real is brought out for all to see.

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

Are you for real?

Post #127

Seems like you are intentionally being obtuse and I'm not sure I see how your post answers any of my contentions about the usefulness of your Tim idea.
Or was it bob?
Anyway, if We can't agree on Toms usefulness in a debate on God we don't debate. Its not a God thing its a civil Debate thing. Parties agree on terms.
Additionally, saying Jesus Christ is one of Gods names is a distortion of the truth. It is a translation of his name, an informed non believer would understand this.
As I don't believe going through your entire list of Gods names and filling in your gaps of understanding will help move us along in anyway, I will leave that to you.
Good luck with your Fred idea, maybe it will catch on.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Are you for real?

Post #128

Post by Tcg »

kcplusdc@yahoo.com wrote:
...your Tim idea.
Jaqella didn't mention any "Tim idea".

Or was it bob?
Another fail, Bob was introduced by you. Certainly you remember?

...Toms usefulness...
You've introduced another new name. Where are you getting these from?

Parties agree on terms.
That's strike three for you then.

Good luck with your Fred idea, maybe it will catch on.
No mention of Fred either. Was there some point to all your deliberate errors?

kcplusdc@yahoo.com
Apprentice

My bad....

Post #129

Nope. I'm just bad with names.
Definitely not making a point on distorting communication by using terms that dont properly represent Frog or only I agree too.
Anyway, if you want to try and reinvent the God shaped wheel that most believers and non belivers agree apon, knock yourself out, I make no demands on your free time.

Anyway I'm watching Christopher Hitchens debate some poor theist and they are defining and agreeing on terms and definition. Wonder why? Hopefully they get to the debate soon! BORING!

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: Are you for real?

Post #130

Post by Jagella »

kcplusdc@yahoo.com wrote: Anyway, if We can't agree on Toms usefulness in a debate on God we don't debate. Its not a God thing its a civil Debate thing. Parties agree on terms.
Then let's be civil and adopt TIMITS as the agreed-upon name of the Bible god. Or is there a name that is "correct" and that all Christians agree on? Do all Chriustians agree on anything?