The theocracy of Jesus.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

The theocracy of Jesus.

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

In Jesus theocracy, his "Kingdom of God" what Jehovah's Witnesses call "Paradise on Earth, is there a place for slavery in this Kingdom?

After all, Moses at least permitted it, if not encouraged it. Codified it into Law. (Exodus 21.20-21)

If the Bible is perfect and infallible, and every verse "God breathed" wouldn't there be a place for slavery in Jesus' theocracy, as there was in Moses' theocracy?

Broader question. Would the Kingdom of God employ the law of Moses in every aspect?

----

(Also, do I even need to place a disclaimer that I am not advocating slavery but condemning it, along with Bible literalism?)
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Re: The theocracy of Jesus.

Post #2

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Elijah John wrote: In Jesus theocracy, his "Kingdom of God" what Jehovah's Witnesses call "Paradise on Earth, is there a place for slavery in this Kingdom?

After all, Moses at least permitted it, if not encouraged it. Codified it into Law. (Exodus 21.20-21)

If the Bible is perfect and infallible, and every verse "God breathed" wouldn't there be a place for slavery in Jesus' theocracy, as there was in Moses' theocracy?

Broader question. Would the Kingdom of God employ the law of Moses in every aspect?

----

(Also, do I even need to place a disclaimer that I am not advocating slavery but condemning it, along with Bible literalism?)
Matt.5
[17] Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

The OT justifies both slavery and genocide. Neither slavery or genocide are outlawed in the OT, but are in fact either specifically allowed, or actually required. Matthew indicates that Jesus did not come to establish a new law. Therefore slavery and genocide will remain valid in the kingdom of God. If one wishes to be free of slavery and genocide, than they need to remain a part of our modern world in which slavery and genocide have been universally condemned and outlawed.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by PinSeeker »

The funny thing about all this is -- "funny" because you guys either conveniently ignore it because it doesn't fit your narrative or you just can't seem to get it -- God had just brought his people out of slavery... He had delivered them from slavery in Egypt, which was very much in the sense of "man-stealing" and race-based to the core. The Egyptians regarded the Hebrews as dogs. So it's very clear what he thought of slavery as an instition; He abhorred it.

Upon being brought out of the house of slavery, the Israelites had to establish a functioning society, and in any functioning society, there is work to be done. God's prescription of Israelite society regarding this work was to create a system of indentured servitude, and to make it redemptive in nature. Because that's what God was and is all about: redemption and... freedom. Were the Israelites perfect in their execution of God's prescription? Well, in their sin, certainly not. But this is the fault of the Isrealites, not God.

Carry on.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by PinSeeker »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:The OT justifies both slavery and genocide. Neither slavery or genocide are outlawed in the OT, but are in fact either specifically allowed, or actually required. Matthew indicates that Jesus did not come to establish a new law. Therefore slavery and genocide will remain valid in the kingdom of God. If one wishes to be free of slavery and genocide, than they need to remain a part of our modern world in which slavery and genocide have been universally condemned and outlawed.
And so this is nonsense, Nonsense. :D

See above.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Elijah John wrote: In Jesus theocracy, his "Kingdom of God" what Jehovah's Witnesses call "Paradise on Earth, is there a place for slavery in this Kingdom?
Yes, we will be slaves of God.

If, as I suspect you mean, a place for cruel or oppressive slavery *at the hands of humans, no, such things will be things of the past, because all the things that gave rise to the existence of slavery will be eliminated.
  • # There will be no foreign nations to conquer or be conquered by as in the times of the Hebrews. Enemies of God will either subject to the Kingdom or be eliminated. There will be no provision for them to continue living but as slaves.

#There will be no droughts, famines or illness that force people through no fault of their own into poverty [NOTE: The escape from poverty was one of the chief reasons the provision for slavery/servitude was made under the Mosaic law for a Hebrew].

# There will be no greedy wicked people ready to exploit and trade in human lives.
* It is estimated that today there are more slaves than at any other time in human histroy

Finally under Christs kingdom government, all the causes of slavery will be eliminated and mankind will enjoy true freedom, not just from poverty and human oppression but even from sin and death!
ISAIAH 65: 21, 22 - NWT

They will build houses and live in them, And they will plant vineyards and eat their fruitage. They will not build for someone else to inhabit, Nor will they plant for others to eat.

JW

RELATED POSTS

Did God condone the slave trade?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 48#p931348

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

SLAVERY, CHILD ABUSE and ...THE MOSAIC LAW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 11 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]
Would the Kingdom of God employ the law of Moses in every aspect?
By many accounts the Kingdom of God will require no laws, as the inhabitants will be free from sin.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #7

PinSeeker wrote:
Tired of the Nonsense wrote:The OT justifies both slavery and genocide. Neither slavery or genocide are outlawed in the OT, but are in fact either specifically allowed, or actually required. Matthew indicates that Jesus did not come to establish a new law. Therefore slavery and genocide will remain valid in the kingdom of God. If one wishes to be free of slavery and genocide, than they need to remain a part of our modern world in which slavery and genocide have been universally condemned and outlawed.

See above.
Exodus 21
20 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.

Wikipedia
The Bible and Slavery
Manumission
In a parallel with the shmita system the Covenant Code offers automatic manumission of male Israelite slaves after they have worked for six years;[46] this excludes non-Israelite slaves, and specifically excludes Israelite daughters, who were sold into slavery by their fathers, from such automatic seventh-year manumission. Such were bought to be betrothed to the owner, or his son, and if that had not been done, they were to be allowed to be redeemed. If the marriage took place, they were to be set free if her husband was negligent in his basic marital obligations.[47] The later[30][31][32] Deuteronomic Code is seen by some to contradict[30] elements of this instruction, in extending automatic seventh year manumission to both sexes.[48] Others see the latter as a general decree, with the aspect of female manumission not being applicable within the specific circumstances of the former case, with marriage taking the place of manumission.

The Deuteronomic Code also extends[51] the seventh-year manumission rule by instructing that Israelite slaves freed in this way should be given livestock, grain, and wine, as a parting gift;[52] the literal meaning of the verb used, at this point in the text, for giving this gift seems to be hang round the neck.[30] In Jewish tradition, the identified gifts were regarded as merely symbolic, representing a gift of produce rather than of money or clothing;[30] many Jewish scholars estimated that the value of the three listed products was about 30 shekels, so the gift gradually came to be standardised as produce worth this fixed value.[53] The Bible states that one should not regret the gift, for slaves were only half as expensive as hired workers;[54] Nachmanides enumerates this as a command rather than merely as a piece of advice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_slavery
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Elijah John wrote:Broader question. Would the Kingdom of God employ the law of Moses in every aspect?
No, Jehovah's Witnesses believe the Mosaic Law was given to a specific nation (the nation of Israel) for a specific time period (1513BCE to 33CE). Those living under kingdom rule today are subject to what the bible calls "the law of Christ" and are not under the Mosaic Law at all. There is nothing in scripture which indicates the Mosaic Law will be reintergrated after the coming change in world rulership although the bible book of Revelation speaks of "new scrolls" which will probably contain new written directives adapted for subjects of the kingdom living under the changed circumstances.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

PinSeeker wrote:
So it's very clear what he thought of slavery as an instition; He abhorred it.
Only when it was his chosen people put in slavery. Once the tables were turned, he thought it was a grand idea and in fact encouraged it:

Leviticus 25:44 -46

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

God's prescription of Israelite society regarding this work was to create a system of indentured servitude, and to make it redemptive in nature.
Once again, only for his chosen ethnic group. Other groups were to be made slaves for life.

Because that's what God was and is all about: redemption and... freedom.
Sure, if you were one of the chosen. Those who weren't could face permanent slavery with no chance of redemption or freedom.

But this is the fault of the Isrealites, not God.
According to the Bible. the Israelites were free to take non-Israelites as permanent slaves. If this is morally wrong, then God is to blame as they were quite simply following His law.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #10

PinSeeker wrote:

See above.
I was assuming that you are already aware of Biblical passages of God ordering genocide. But I often forget how poorly Christians know the Bible, so in case you are unaware, here are the passages.

Numbers 31

[15] And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?
[16] Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.
[17] Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
[18] But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Joshua 6

[20] So the people shouted when the priests blew with the trumpets: and it came to pass, when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city.
[21]And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

Joshua 11:

19 Except for the Hivites living in Gibeon, not one city made a treaty of peace with the Israelites, who took them all in battle. 20 For it was the Lord himself who hardened their hearts to wage war against Israel, so that he might destroy them totally, exterminating them without mercy, as the Lord had commanded Moses.

Ezekiel 9

[4] And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.
[5] And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity:
[6] Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.
[7] And he said unto them, Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain: go ye forth. And they went forth, and slew in the city.

Samuel 1 15:

[2] Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.
[3] Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.