Any Christians here fans of the Sherlock series?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Any Christians here fans of the Sherlock series?

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

Just wondering, if there are any Christians on this website who are fans of the BBC series Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.
What did you think of it? Also more to the point - what did you think of the death of Moriarty at the end of Season 2 and the cliffhanger ending of Season 3, and then what we got from Season 4?

EDIT - In case a mod wants to move this topic...please don't. I actually have a point with this.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

tam
Savant

Post #2

Post by tam »

Sorry, haven't seen it beyond the first episode or two. I like Benedict Cumberbatch, but Sherlock Holmes has never really been my thing.

Peace to you.

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

I saw it. Great tv show with a great villain so sure of himself and reality. Do tell.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by rikuoamero »

So what do you think of the death of Moriarty and his supposed resurrection with the cliffhanger teaser ending of Season 3, his mug showing up on London's TV screens saying "Did you miss me?"
Would you be willing to watch a Season 5 (if ever its produced)?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

rikuoamero wrote: So what do you think of the death of Moriarty and his supposed resurrection with the cliffhanger teaser ending of Season 3, his mug showing up on London's TV screens saying "Did you miss me?"
I'll watch it if it comes out. Maybe Im not the fan I thought I was. :)
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by rikuoamero »

Wootah wrote:
rikuoamero wrote: So what do you think of the death of Moriarty and his supposed resurrection with the cliffhanger teaser ending of Season 3, his mug showing up on London's TV screens saying "Did you miss me?"
I'll watch it if it comes out. Maybe Im not the fan I thought I was. :)
I'm going to spell out my question. What did you think of the teaser "Did you miss me" at the end of S3, and then Moriarty basically not really being involved in S4? And then this additional teaser after the final S4 episode?
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

As a fan of the series, did these teasers annoy you? They're essentially promising that Moriarty will return in the next season...only he was absent from Season 4, being reduced to nothing more than a 5 minute conversation with the villain of episode 3 in the years prior to the season, and some annoying TV clips played for Sherlock. He doesn't do anything, he isn't there.
Do you trust the producers of the show to give us an actual return of Moriarty for Season 5?

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 6 by rikuoamero]

Honestly, Sherlock in all forms promises Moriarty and personally never delivers an adequate version.

If I was the world's greatest villain perhaps you could fake your suicide with some pre-surgery? Maybe it is a twin or a cloning vat?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by rikuoamero »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 6 by rikuoamero]

Honestly, Sherlock in all forms promises Moriarty and personally never delivers an adequate version.

If I was the world's greatest villain perhaps you could fake your suicide with some pre-surgery? Maybe it is a twin or a cloning vat?
That's good, you're starting to get to where I am. In the special episode Abominable Bride, Sherlock comes to the conclusion that Moriarty really is dead. He himself had a front row seat to Moriarty shooting himself in Season 2. Unlike Sherlock's own deception of Watson shortly after, there was no opportunity for Moriarty to fake his death; Watson's view of Sherlock atop the building was obstructed etc.

Do you expect Moriarty to actually show up in a future Season 5, and I do mean actually being there to interact with Sherlock, not just as a series of recordings or having given orders to his crime network (which Sherlock spent the two years he was officially dead dismantling)?
Or are you like me, saying "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"?

otseng
Savant

Post #9

Post by otseng »

Was going to move this topic to General Chat, then I saw the edit.

I've only watched a few episodes. But, it's interesting enough for me to continue watching more.

bjs
Prodigy

Re: Any Christians here fans of the Sherlock series?

Post #10

Post by bjs »

[Replying to rikuoamero]

I watched and liked the show, particularly the first two seasons. It is an enjoyable work of fiction.

In the world of the show, Moriarty is dead. If there is a fifth season – I highly doubt there will be; they wrapped up the show at the end of season four – then Moriarty will remain dead. For better or worse, that is the story they told.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo