Open and honest conversation

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

WPG12
Student

Open and honest conversation

Post #1

Post by WPG12 »

Open and honest conversation is something that just doesn't happen today.
Through conversation we find an exchange of thought, thoughts that can possibly make a person richer, spiritually speaking. What does happen today? Different groups try to trap each other with an argument, both sides just swing their own swords, instead of trying to understand the others argument. I think most people are guilty of it, one side would never buy what the other is selling. Open, honest conversation allows either side to or sell their own thoughts without trying to trap the other, or just swing a sword.

Spiritually speaking, buying or selling is conversation, open and honest conversation, where a different understanding is looked for, maybe a better understanding, maybe a worthless understanding that isn't worth a grain of salt.

The question s, could Revelations be true, has that mark already been issued? Are our thoughts, and works worth buying or selling?

Most people think in carnal terms, and think that mark is a physical thing, but could it be a spiritual mark? Pride possibly? A stiff neck, where we can't turn and look to see if we could be wrong? Pride, thinking our own thoughts are better than any others, could easily cause conversation to turn into a war, and cause nothing to be bought or sold, spiritually speaking.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Open and honest conversation

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

WPG12 wrote: Open and honest conversation is something that just doesn't happen today.
I don't see how you can say that. You can have an open and honest conversation with anyone any time you like. In fact, I think you would be extremely hard-pressed to find anyone who wouldn't be willing to tell you what they believe.

It would seem to me that the only time you might run into trouble is if you decide to try to convince them of something that you would like for them to believe.

Keep in mind that you are currently posting on a forum that is called "Debating Christianity and Religion". So you will naturally find people here who are ready to participate in a "debate". But that's no reason to think that this is typical of life today in general.

In fact, there are many forums you can find where like-minded people have open and honest conversations with each other about things they mutually agree on.

Obviously if you're going to set out to convince someone to embrace what you believe whilst trying to convince them that their current beliefs are false, then of course you're going to end up in a debate.

What else would you expect? :-k
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

WPG12
Student

Post #3

Post by WPG12 »

Of course :)

You don't see why I say that, but won't even try to either. Exactly my point , thanks

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

WPG12 wrote: Of course :)

You don't see why I say that, but won't even try to either. Exactly my point , thanks
What's to try? Are you going to try to convince me that I should believe in the Biblical book of Revelation?

And if so, why not be open and honest about that agenda?

You're the one who has suggested that people can't be open and honest in their discussions anymore.

I'll be more than happy to share with you my open and honest opinions on Biblical folklore.

Is that what you are interested in? Open and honest discussions?

Or do you have a hidden agenda here? :-k
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

dio9
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to WPG12]

So what do you want yo talk about?

WPG12
Student

Post #6

Post by WPG12 »

Talk about?

This is a debate forim isn't it, not a chat room?

My point was made, I think.

Instead of trying to see or understand why a person is saying what he says, we try to tell them they are wrong without looking to understand.

Guy Threepwood
Sage

Post #7

Post by Guy Threepwood »

[Replying to post 1 by WPG12]

I'd say that even though nobody ever publicly concedes an inch- doesn't mean nobody learns anything. I used to debate as a staunch atheist, the people I debated with never knew that they were having any impact..

Then again that was more face to face, which tends to be more effective. I think we all come across as maybe being more emphatic and stubborn here than we would in person?

On Revelations, we discovered that Genesis was correct on there being a beginning to the world- even down to such details as one great ocean, then one great land mass appearing, life beginning in the ocean & culminating with mankind etc

So I think it's only logical that there is some sort of end game to all this also. But the Bible is not meant to be a scientific cheat sheet, we have to figure it out for ourselves

showme
Sage

Post #8

Post by showme »

WPG12 wrote: Open and honest conversation is something that just doesn't happen today.
Through conversation we find an exchange of thought, thoughts that can possibly make a person richer, spiritually speaking. What does happen today? Different groups try to trap each other with an argument, both sides just swing their own swords, instead of trying to understand the others argument. I think most people are guilty of it, one side would never buy what the other is selling. Open, honest conversation allows either side to or sell their own thoughts without trying to trap the other, or just swing a sword.

Spiritually speaking, buying or selling is conversation, open and honest conversation, where a different understanding is looked for, maybe a better understanding, maybe a worthless understanding that isn't worth a grain of salt.

The question s, could Revelations be true, has that mark already been issued? Are our thoughts, and works worth buying or selling?

Most people think in carnal terms, and think that mark is a physical thing, but could it be a spiritual mark? Pride possibly? A stiff neck, where we can't turn and look to see if we could be wrong? Pride, thinking our own thoughts are better than any others, could easily cause conversation to turn into a war, and cause nothing to be bought or sold, spiritually speaking.
The "beast with two horns like a lamb", Constantine, has come and gone. A mark on the hand and forehead has already been clearly established in Deuteronomy 6:8. The "many" of Matthew 7:13 are clearly already marked. The two horns like a lamb, Christ like shepherds are the foundation of the "Christian" church, being Peter and Paul, both glorified by the 7th head of the beast Constantine, when he built basilicas for each. Constantine's vision was to conquer under the sign given by Sol Invictus at the battle of Milvian bridge in 312 AD, which was a cross. Basilicas are churches built in the sign of the cross, the mark of the beast. They are structures built in the pattern of a cross. I am thinking that you have nothing to sell regardless of the restriction put on by Constantine's decree of 321 AD, which closed up all selling shops on the day of the sun, Sunday.

showme
Sage

Post #9

Post by showme »

Guy Threepwood wrote: [Replying to post 1 by WPG12]

I'd say that even though nobody ever publicly concedes an inch- doesn't mean nobody learns anything. I used to debate as a staunch atheist, the people I debated with never knew that they were having any impact..

Then again that was more face to face, which tends to be more effective. I think we all come across as maybe being more emphatic and stubborn here than we would in person?

On Revelations, we discovered that Genesis was correct on there being a beginning to the world- even down to such details as one great ocean, then one great land mass appearing, life beginning in the ocean & culminating with mankind etc

So I think it's only logical that there is some sort of end game to all this also. But the Bible is not meant to be a scientific cheat sheet, we have to figure it out for ourselves
If you should peruse Daniel 12:10, you will find that "none of the wicked will understand". And it is only at the "end time" that "those who insight will understand".

marco
Savant

Post #10

Post by marco »

Surely there is one exception - yourself. Surely you enter conversations here ready to abandon the views you put forward, persuaded perhaps that someone who thinks Revelation is nonsensical might just be right.

I think it's truer to say that people are very honest indeed about what they believe and express it superlatively. They might not convince others, of course.