Why was james

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

WPG12
Student

Why was james

Post #1

Post by WPG12 »

Sending people out to destroy other people's fields?

Behold, the hire of the labourers who have reaped down your fields, which is of you kept back by fraud, crieth: and the cries of them which have reaped are entered into the ears of the Lord of sabaoth.
James 5:4 KJV

Jesus never taught us to tear down other people's fields, and it wasn't a time to reap our own, it was a time to plant, which may include pulling weeds from our own fields, but nver to destroy someone else's fields. In fact, Jesus said he didn't come to destroy anything, and it's not something he would have taught.

Paul was planting, and there were those who were destroying his fields.

O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
Galatians 3:1 KJV

Jesus didn't teach us to tear down each other's houses, to make ours the best on the block, envy and jealousy of someone having something better does that. We should be cleaning our own houses, and building them better, not tearing down someone else's.

So why was James sending men out to tear down other fields? And whose feilds was he destroying?

For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
Galatians 2:12 KJV

showme
Sage

Re: Why was james

Post #2

Post by showme »

WPG12 wrote: Sending people out to destroy other people's fields?

Behold, the hire of the labourers who have reaped down your fields, which is of you kept back by fraud, crieth: and the cries of them which have reaped are entered into the ears of the Lord of sabaoth.
James 5:4 KJV

Jesus never taught us to tear down other people's fields, and it wasn't a time to reap our own, it was a time to plant, which may include pulling weeds from our own fields, but nver to destroy someone else's fields. In fact, Jesus said he didn't come to destroy anything, and it's not something he would have taught.

Paul was planting, and there were those who were destroying his fields.

O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
Galatians 3:1 KJV

Jesus didn't teach us to tear down each other's houses, to make ours the best on the block, envy and jealousy of someone having something better does that. We should be cleaning our own houses, and building them better, not tearing down someone else's.

So why was James sending men out to tear down other fields? And whose feilds was he destroying?

For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
Galatians 2:12 KJV
It would help if you got a better bible. James 5:4,"Behold, the pay of the laborers who mowed your fields, and which has been withheld by you". The "you" referring to the "rich". (James 5:1)

Paul indeed planted in the same field as the "good seed" had been planted, but Paul was the "enemy" and he planted the seed of the tare. (Matthew 13:25)

It will be the "angels" who gather out the tares and their message/seed, at the "end of the age". Woops, we are at the "end of the age". (Matthew 13:39:41) It will not only be the seed of the tares (Paul's message of lawlessness) which is gathered out, but the "stumbling blocks" as well, which would refer to Peter (Matthew 16:23).

Of course Paul and his disciples will curse the angels, and therefore bring their curses down upon their own heads. (Galatians 1:8).

tam
Savant

Post #3

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

[Replying to post 1 by WPG12]

I do not see where James is sending anyone to mow down others' fields in this passage.

Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you. James 5:1-6

Verse 4 is about the 'rich people' who did not pay the wages they owed to the workers who mowed their fields.

Peace again to you!

WPG12
Student

Post #4

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to post 2 by showme]

A "better" Bible?

Which Bible would that be, because whether you're sending people to reap, or mow down others feilds the allegory still works.

Paul is the enemy?

So we would agree Paul and james were at odds with each other?

That's what it sounds like to me, if I'm not understanding what you're saying, please clarify that for me.

WPG12
Student

Post #5

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to post 3 by tam]

Your gold and silver are corroded.

Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.
James 5:3 KJV

No matter which Bible is considered the "best" it all pretty much says the same.

James, apparently has no understanding, and the richness of his words isn't worth it's weight in gold. Not really worth a grain of salt.

Gold and silver don't corrode or canker and rust. His words really are kind of tarnished, and worthless. Maybe kinda like fools gold.

tam
Savant

Post #6

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
WPG12 wrote: [Replying to post 3 by tam]

Your gold and silver are corroded.

Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.
James 5:3 KJV

No matter which Bible is considered the "best" it all pretty much says the same.

James, apparently has no understanding, and the richness of his words isn't worth it's weight in gold. Not really worth a grain of salt.

Gold and silver don't corrode or canker and rust. His words really are kind of tarnished, and worthless. Maybe kinda like fools gold.

Or perhaps he is merely making a point. The rich only think that they have wealth. And has their gold (if they have gold to begin with, rather than the fools' gold you mentioned) been refined in the fire?

Because unrefined gold has impurities in it. Impurities that are removed as gold is more and more refined.
In its native state out of a lode, gold is almost never 100-percent pure, but has a percentage of other metals along with it. These other metals contained with gold, whether of value or not, are called “impurities.� The impurities with gold most often consist of silver, copper and a little bit of iron, platinum and cadmium in differing amounts. The proportions of these other minerals change from lode to lode, which gives the gold coming from one location different colors, qualities and value from the gold extracted from another location.
http://www.goldgold.com/gold-prospectin ... -gold.html

Copper and iron can corrode.

So they think they are rich, but really they are poor.

You say, ‘I am rich; I have grown wealthy and need nothing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, white garments so that you may be clothed and your shameful nakedness not exposed, and salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see
Rev 3:17, 18

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

WPG12
Student

Post #7

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to post 6 by tam]

Or perhaps he is merely making a point. The rich only think that they have wealth.

Or James knew they were rich, as he was complaining that he didn't get any of that gold.
But James, being worried about physical gold, only shows where his heart was, and how worthless his understanding was.

showme
Sage

Post #8

Post by showme »

WPG12 wrote: [Replying to post 2 by showme]

A "better" Bible?

Which Bible would that be, because whether you're sending people to reap, or mow down others feilds the allegory still works.

Paul is the enemy?

So we would agree Paul and james were at odds with each other?

That's what it sounds like to me, if I'm not understanding what you're saying, please clarify that for me.

I think it has always been clear that James and Paul were at odds. Paul's false gospel of grace, whereas works are not necessary, and James 3:2:16-18, and Matthew 24:48:51, whereas they are.

I read your KJ bible version, and it certainly was confusing. I listed the NASB version which seemed to be crystal clear. I think relying on a bible dedicated to the glory of a gay king of England, a representative of the beast, is probably not a good choice. One poor choice among many.

As for Paul being the "enemy", and sower of the tare seed, sure, but his day and the day of his followers comes to an end, at the "end of the age" (Matthew 13:39-41).

WPG12
Student

Post #9

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to showme]

A gay king? Lol ok.

Well at least we can agree that James and Paul are at odds with each other, even though I don't believe Paul was an enemy. I think what James taught is completely backwards. I would like to understand why you think it is that Paul and his gospel of Grace was wrong.

Although paul's gospel was more faith by grace than just grace though.

Like he said, we are saved by grace, but it is through faith that we are saved. Faith being the gift God gives, and it's by grace, because without the mercy of God no man could be saved.

polonius
Prodigy

The spurious gospel of James

Post #10

Post by polonius »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_James

The document presents itself as written by James: "I, James, wrote this history in Jerusalem."[4] The purported author is thus James, the brother of Jesus, but scholars have concluded that the work was not written by the person to whom it is attributed, but was composed some time in the mid to late 2nd century.[5]

The consensus is that it was actually composed in the latter half of the 2nd century. The first mention of it is by Origen of Alexandria in the early 3rd century, who says the text, like that of a Gospel of Peter, was of dubious, recent appearance and shared with that book the claim that the "brethren of the Lord" were sons of Joseph by a former wife.[8]

Although a number of Church councils condemned it as an inauthentic writing of the New Testament, this did little to diminish its popularity. Pope Innocent I condemned this Gospel of James in his third epistle ad Exuperium in 405 AD, and the so-called Gelasian Decree also excluded it as canonical around 500 AD.[9][10] Thomas Aquinas, in his Summa Theologiae rejects the Protevangelium of James teaching that midwives were present at Christ's birth, and invokes Jerome as contending that the words of the canonical gospels show that Mary was both mother and midwife, that she wrapped up the child with swaddling clothes and laid him in a manger. And thus concludes, "These words prove the falseness of the apocryphal ravings."[11]