Did Jesus really turn water into wine

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

WPG12
Student

Did Jesus really turn water into wine

Post #1

Post by WPG12 »

I do think he did, but it isn't something I would argue over, because I wasn't there I read it in a book. But, I also believe it shows something more, I think Jesus, by turning water into wine at the beginning of his ministry was showing what he would do through his ministry, in pouring water into those vessels, then putting that Spirit in it. I think it's also pretty significant that it happened at a wedding, where a woman takes the name of her husband, much like Christian's call themselves by his name, though most do it to no avail.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #21

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 20 by brianbbs67]

To be fair, the passage doesn't specify what they drank. It could have been water (I don't think it was, but if we rely on that passage alone, it could have been)
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

FWI
Sage

Re: Did Jesus really turn water into wine

Post #22

Post by FWI »

[Replying to post 18 by WPG12]

Well, to be truthful: Yes! This is the type of question that most humans face every day: pleasure verses sin or deciding what is good and what is evil.

There is little chance that alcoholic drinks (for pleasure) will be in the Kingdom of God, after the Christ returns.

bluethread
Savant

Post #23

Post by bluethread »

FWI wrote: [Replying to post 18 by WPG12]

Well, to be truthful: Yes! This is the type of question that most humans face every day: pleasure verses sin or deciding what is good and what is evil.

There is little chance that alcoholic drinks (for pleasure) will be in the Kingdom of God, after the Christ returns.
However, pleasure is not sin. This is an overreaction to hedonism. Pleasure as an overarching principle is opposed to Adonai's ways. I see nothing in Adonai's ways(good) that opposes drinking alcohol for pleasure. One what do you base your assertion that there is little chance that drinking of alcohol for pleasure will occur in future kingdom?

WPG12
Student

Post #24

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to post 22 by FWI]

So we should submit to your thoughts of what is right or wrong? All of humanity should be prohibited from alcohol, because you would command it as truth?

Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.
1 Timothy 5:23 KJV

FWI
Sage

Post #25

Post by FWI »

[Replying to post 19 by bluethread]

Deut. 14:26 is an interesting verse and a proper one to bring up or so it seems.

The two Hebrew words in question are: yayin (H3196), which is a generic term for the "juice of the grape" and has been translated as fermented or unfermented. Yet, it means: what is pressed out. Common sense tells us that "what is pressed out" of the grape is unfermented and the process of fermentation occurs after a certain period of time. So, the proper translation is solely related to the beliefs and understandings of the translator. We can "assume" that Moses would have understood the proper usage of the word, but we can't be so sure of those who followed him.

The second word is: shekar (H7941), which means: what satiates or intoxicates. This saccharine drink rendered as "strong drink" and "strong wine" is a liquor made from dates or barley and always is used related to a curse. This surely would be consider "out of place" for the Feast of Tabernacles. Here again, the usage relates to what the translator believes. So, if a translator, who comes along thousands of years later and sees no problem with the usage of "strong drinks" or hard liquor, his opinion can affect the writings.

Now, you might think this is only spin, but God inspired Moses to record that "no one" should add to or change the words of God (Deut. 4:2). Yet, it became necessary for God to inspire the prophet Jeremiah to claim that this is exactly what they (the prophets, priests and scribes) were doing (Jer. 8:8-10).

Hence, what doesn't seem right, really isn't…

FWI
Sage

Post #26

Post by FWI »

[Replying to post 24 by WPG12]

You are being somewhat unreasonable here. I never asked anyone to submit to my thoughts. I have only given my position. If, this position threaten yours, I have no control of that.

Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds; when he finds he will become troubled; when he becomes troubled, he will be astonished.

The usage of a little wine for the stomach isn't drinking a full bottle.
Last edited by FWI on Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WPG12
Student

Post #27

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to post 26 by FWI]

I'm sorry I thought you were replying to my post where I asked if you would bring back prohibition.

So you wouldn't bring back prohibition if you could?

To me it sounded like you said yes, you would.

FWI
Sage

Post #28

Post by FWI »

WPG12
Student

Post #29

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to post 28 by FWI]

That's the post I was wondering about, where said yes you would rather see bring back prohibition.

But now you're saying you wouldn't want people to have to submit to what you think is right. So you wouldn't rather bring back prohibition?

FWI
Sage

Post #30

Post by FWI »

[Replying to post 29 by WPG12]

I will try (again) to make this clear to you…I have no control over the idea of prohibition, which is for God to determine, when and if that will happen. However, if it was presented to the generally public for a vote, I would vote "yes" to prohibition.

Also, it is not my goal to convert others to my way of thinking, I am only a messenger. Yet, it is my goal to present a different perspective to the way man thinks on certain issues presented on this forum. This is done so that no one (who reads my posts) can claim (at the end of this age) that they never knew about the information I have presented.

Hopefully, this response will end this unnecessary inquiry, which is unrelated to: Did Jesus really turn water into wine?