Have you ever considered the ants

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

WPG12
Student

Have you ever considered the ants

Post #1

Post by WPG12 »

How no one really wants them in their yard, how they attack anything that gets too close to their nest, and are usually considered uselss pests?

Why would we be told to consider the ants?
And to be like them? Are we like them? With no overseer, no provider? And isn't this a thought completely contradictory to Psalms 23 and Luke 12:22-30?

If we are to be of one mind in calling ourselves Christian's, how can we accept two contradicting thoughts to be true?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Have you ever considered the ants

Post #2

Post by Checkpoint »

WPG12 wrote: How no one really wants them in their yard, how they attack anything that gets too close to their nest, and are usually considered uselss pests?

And to be like them? Are we like them? With no overseer, no provider? And isn't this a thought completely contradictory to Psalms 23 and Luke 12:22-30?

If we are to be of one mind in calling ourselves Christian's, how can we accept two contradicting thoughts to be true?
There is no contradiction in this instruction to sluggards.
Proverbs 6:

6 Go to the ant, you sluggard;

consider its ways and be wise!

7 It has no commander,

no overseer or ruler,

8 yet it stores its provisions in summer

and gathers its food at harvest.

9 How long will you lie there, you sluggard?

When will you get up from your sleep?

10 A little sleep, a little slumber,

a little folding of the hands to rest—

11 and poverty will come on you like a thief

and scarcity like an armed man.

marco
Savant

Post #3

Post by marco »

WPG12 wrote:

We are often asked to turn our minds to inconsequential things; instead of going out to buy a new suit or a dress we should consider the lilies:

Luke 12:27 :
"Consider the lilies. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these."

And if we consider the ants, they work furiously all day long unlike the lazy lilies. It can be very confusing if we pay attention to what Scripture says. Best just smile.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #4

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to post 1 by WPG12]

Help me to see where you think the contradiction is. Proverbs 6 tells us to be a hard worker. In Psalm 23 David seems to me to be talking about how God gives him peace, refreshing his soul, experience of His love, etc. even in the midst of troubles. I don't see laziness in there.

Nor do I see it in Luke 12. Jesus tells his disciples to not worry; not to be lazy. It seems to me to be about priorities, about putting God and His mission before making money for yourself so you can live the "comfortable" life. Yes, the lilies do not labor or spin, but Jesus does not tell us to not labor or spin. Jesus says "If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you--you of little faith!" Jesus is saying God will take care of you, just like he takes care of the wild flowers, so stop worrying about what might happen if you don't make more money. Money is not the source of peace and comfort and true happiness. You can give away all you have to the poor and be happier than you ever were before. Jesus is saying to seek God and you will have everything you need. It's not about not being a hard worker, but about why you are doing what you are doing and how that will affect the quality of our lives.

WPG12
Student

Post #5

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to marco]

If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you--you of little faith!"

How does God clothe you?

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

WPG12 wrote:
How does God clothe you?
I can't answer for marco, but I purchase a great deal of my clothing through L.L. Bean's website. If God has a website, please share the web address and I'll see if I can get a better deal.

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

WPG12 wrote: [Replying to marco]

If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you--you of little faith!"

How does God clothe you?
I can't complain about my clothing but, if I may, can I put in a word for those children in Africa born inadequately clothed and without a reliable water supply? Apparently the vultures nearby are better catered for by the Almighty.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #8

Post by The Tanager »

marco wrote:I can't complain about my clothing but, if I may, can I put in a word for those children in Africa born inadequately clothed and without a reliable water supply? Apparently the vultures nearby are better catered for by the Almighty.
There is enough for everyone on this planet, but humans hoard it and waste it. A portion of the ridiculous amount Americans spend on Christmas each year or governments on various programs for themselves could provide everyone in the world access to clean drinking water.

Yes, God, if He exists, does not perform tiny miracles every place humans are disobeying God's command from the beginning and failing each other, but I think part of this has to do with the good of free will. I also think that part of a response is about this life is only part of a our existence. There are many people who, in spite of our failures to take care of the world and each other, find deep joy and peace in God. Jesus and the New Testament and the Tanakh never promise that life with God will be materially and physically comfortable. God's goal is not that kind of happiness, but creating certain character.

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

The Tanager wrote:

There is enough for everyone on this planet, but humans hoard it and waste it. A portion of the ridiculous amount Americans spend on Christmas each year or governments on various programs for themselves could provide everyone in the world access to clean drinking water.

True. Man is responsible for SOME of the ills. Man does not create tsunamis, droughts, earthquakes: that's God's handiwork. Perhaps he's too busy marking the fall of sparrows. Bibical platitudes about worker ants and lovely lilies were fine for primitive races who thought God spoke in thunder; they are useless and silly today.
As you say, man should look after man, and there are many great efforts in this regard; but unfortunately we live on an unpredictable planet. We don't have a God who oversees things; if he exists, he's for ever on holiday.

But your advice unintentionally points the right way: we should ignore God and sacrifices and hymns and concentrate on helping others. We might in the process even help a few fallen sparrows.

WPG12
Student

Post #10

Post by WPG12 »

[Replying to marco]

What about those kids in Africa? I don't know, about them. But, what I do know is that emotion blinds the eyes of reason, and when someone tries to throw up an emotion response without being able to answer the question, all they are doing is trying to shut down a debate or conversation. So, I'll just bow out.