God exists because atheists are bad people.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

God exists because atheists are bad people.

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

While I realize that Christian apologists deal with a lot of issues, I think it's fair to say that the issue of the existence of the Bible god is the main issue of apologetics. If there is no Bible god, then apologetics is very trivialized and looks foolish. So what seems odd to me is the great amount of time apologists spend attacking atheists and anybody else who is openly critical and skeptical about Christian claims. Atheists and skeptics have been denounced by apologists as imbeciles, fools, rogues, ignoramuses, and evil doers. Atheists are blamed for the genocides of Stalin and Hitler.

They are very BAD people!

Although these accusations are debatable, what I'd like to discuss is the relevance of the alleged wrong doing of atheists to the existence of the Bible god. It seems reasonable to me to conclude that no matter how evil atheists might be, the existence of the Bible god is not one bit more likely.

Question for Debate: Why do apologists put so much time and energy into attacking atheists?

bluethread
Savant

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

Though I do not do that, a reason why it is done by those who do is the same reason that some atheists call theists imbeciles, fools, rogues, ignoramuses, and evil doers. Atheists have even blamed theists for Hitler. It is team sport. It is common human behavior to seek to undermine a philosophy by pointing the actions of some who profess it, even if those actions do not follow from that philosophy. I prefer to look at the nature of a philosophy and follow it to it's logical conclusion.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Jagella »

bluethread wrote: Though I do not do that, a reason why it is done by those who do is the same reason that some atheists call theists imbeciles, fools, rogues, ignoramuses, and evil doers.
It depends on the individuals. Those who deny or ignore clear evidence that their beliefs are false are imbeciles, those who drink poison or handle poisonous snakes are fools, those who lie or cheat to mislead others that their beliefs are true are rogues, those who refuse to educate themselves in relevant history and science are ignoramuses, and those who persecute others who don't believe what they do are evil doers.
Atheists have even blamed theists for Hitler.

I don't really blame theists for Nazism, but I believe much of it got started when the New Testament was written. On the other end of the ideological spectrum, Hitler was reputedly inspired by the atheistic philosopher Nietzsche. There were many influences on Hitler.
It is common human behavior to seek to undermine a philosophy by pointing the actions of some who profess it, even if those actions do not follow from that philosophy.
I think it obviously follows that if a philosophy results in violence, then something is terribly wrong with that philosophy. So I do not deny that atheism results in violence and other evils. It is possible that some people must believe in gods to keep them civil. In fact, it appears that those apologists who claim atheism results in genocide are tacitly admitting that they would become killers without their Christianity.
I prefer to look at the nature of a philosophy and follow it to it's logical conclusion.
I think it's more a question of what effect a philosophy or religion has on a person psychologically and socially. If a religion induces paranoia using fear and guilt, then violence may well result.

But getting back to the OP, the existence of TIMITS is generally unrelated to the acts of atheists. TIMITS may not exist no matter how bad atheists are.

Clownboat
Savant

Re: God exists because atheists are bad people.

Post #4

Post by Clownboat »

Jagella wrote: While I realize that Christian apologists deal with a lot of issues, I think it's fair to say that the issue of the existence of the Bible god is the main issue of apologetics. If there is no Bible god, then apologetics is very trivialized and looks foolish. So what seems odd to me is the great amount of time apologists spend attacking atheists and anybody else who is openly critical and skeptical about Christian claims. Atheists and skeptics have been denounced by apologists as imbeciles, fools, rogues, ignoramuses, and evil doers. Atheists are blamed for the genocides of Stalin and Hitler.

Although these accusations are debatable, what I'd like to discuss is the relevance of the alleged wrong doing of atheists to the existence of the Bible god. It seems reasonable to me to conclude that no matter how evil atheists might be, the existence of the Bible god is not one bit more likely.

Question for Debate: Why do apologists put so much time and energy into attacking atheists?
This is common cult behavior.
Nothing helps to unite a cult like having a common enemy to unite against.

Whether a person considers a religion to be a cult or not does not change this behavior.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

Jagella wrote: While I realize that Christian apologists deal with a lot of issues, I think it's fair to say that the issue of the existence of the Bible god is the main issue of apologetics. If there is no Bible god, then apologetics is very trivialized and looks foolish. So what seems odd to me is the great amount of time apologists spend attacking atheists and anybody else who is openly critical and skeptical about Christian claims. Atheists and skeptics have been denounced by apologists as imbeciles, fools, rogues, ignoramuses, and evil doers. Atheists are blamed for the genocides of Stalin and Hitler.

Evidence?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Jagella »

Wootah wrote:Evidence?
Evidence for what? If you want evidence for these attacks on atheists, then try reading Inside the Atheist Mind: Unmasking the Religion of Those Who Say There Is No God by Anthony DeStefano. It's vicious. I was inspired to start this thread by this book.

And can you answer the question for debate?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

I'm not the slightest bit concerned with any war between Theists and Atheists. The Theists have been at war against each other for centuries. Even when it comes down to one specific faction of the Abrahamic Religions, say Christianity. Even Christian theists renounce each other's beliefs, interpretations, and theological apologies.

If all that existed on planet Earth were "Christians", they'd be hating on each other in the name of their single multi-personality God "Jesus/Yahweh".

This religion is based on the condemnation of others. Especially on the condemnation of non-believers. We already know that there is no love lost between the Catholics and Protestants. And Protestantism is the biggest joke of all. Protestants renounce each others interpretations and beliefs all the time.

So yeah, if all that existed on planet Earth were "Christians" we'd probably see more violent and hateful holy wars than we currently have. At least, as it is now, the Christians need to pretend that they are all on the same "side". But that's only so they can inflate their numbers to include all the Christians they disagree with.

If Christianity was the only religion on Earth mankind probably would have already blown itself off the face of the planet by now. In Jesus' name no doubt.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Jagella »

Divine Insight wrote: I'm not the slightest bit concerned with any war between Theists and Atheists.
Understood, but as I say in the OP I'd like to discuss this strange logic on the part of the apologists in which they respond to their critics and those who don't believe them by attacking the skeptics. If they want to convince the skeptics that TIMITS exists, then it's not good logic to criticize the critics.

So the issue here isn't any "war" between theists and atheists but poor logic on the part of Christian apologists.

Personally, I think the apologists often get frustrated with their weak arguments, and in desperation they go on the offensive.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

Jagella wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: I'm not the slightest bit concerned with any war between Theists and Atheists.
Understood, but as I say in the OP I'd like to discuss this strange logic on the part of the apologists in which they respond to their critics and those who don't believe them by attacking the skeptics. If they want to convince the skeptics that TIMITS exists, then it's not good logic to criticize the critics.

So the issue here isn't any "war" between theists and atheists but poor logic on the part of Christian apologists.

Personally, I think the apologists often get frustrated with their weak arguments, and in desperation they go on the offensive.
Yes, I see what you are saying and I agree. Apologists are clearly desperate to try to find arguments for the potential existence of their God from any source they can muster.

And, you're perfectly correct. The only reason they need to do this is becasue they don't have any compelling apologies to begin with.

And so yes, here are many apologetic tactics.

1. Attempt to attack the credibility of any skeptics.

2. Attack science as being entirely "faith-based" in an effort to bring science down to the same level of non-credibility as their own theology.

3. Make purely logical arguments for the existence of a generic "God" by appealing to things like the Kalam Cosmological Argument, or the Modal Ontological Arguments.

4. Pretend that the Bible is verified credible history in every claim it makes no matter how absurd or ridiculous the claims might be.

All of the above are only needed by a theology that clearly has no credibility of its own. If they had any compelling arguments for their theology they wouldn't need to resort to the above tactics.

In fact, the only argument Biblical theists actually have is the following.

a. The Bible is the word of God and therefore must be perfect and true.
b. I know the Bible is the word of God because the Bible says so.

This is really all they have.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Jagella]

I haven't experienced your issue. I often think our self perception is skewed. How did the book attack you?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."