Another challenge. Prove that the Messiah,

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Another challenge. Prove that the Messiah,

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Here's another challenge. Prove that the Messiah was supposed to have been, or is supposed to be "God-Incarnate". Do so please, using only references from the "Old" Testament/Hebrew Bible.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Wootah
Savant

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

Generally speaking the old testament testifies to God rescuing his people in such a way that his people cannot boast in their own strength. The rescuing is totally God's work.

So in Jesus we would expect God to do the rescuing. If Jesus is not God then a man called Jesus can boast that he led a sinless life. All mankind can boast that we were saved by one of us and not by God.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

Wootah wrote: Generally speaking the old testament testifies to God rescuing his people in such a way that his people cannot boast in their own strength. The rescuing is totally God's work.

So in Jesus we would expect God to do the rescuing. If Jesus is not God then a man called Jesus can boast that he led a sinless life. All mankind can boast that we were saved by one of us and not by God.
How does this prove that that the folks who wrote the "Old" Testament believed or taught that the Messiah was supposed to have been God-incarnate?

-YHVH is LORD

polonius
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by polonius »

Elijah John wrote:
Wootah wrote: Generally speaking the old testament testifies to God rescuing his people in such a way that his people cannot boast in their own strength. The rescuing is totally God's work.

How does this prove that that the folks who wrote the "Old" Testament believed or taught that the Messiah was supposed to have been God-incarnate?
RESPONSE: The Jews believed that the Messiah was supposed to have been a man, a remarkable one, but not divine. In the seed line of both David and Solomon.

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

polonius wrote:
Elijah John wrote:

RESPONSE: The Jews believed that the Messiah was supposed to have been a man, a remarkable one, but not divine. In the seed line of both David and Solomon.
I agree that's what they were looking for. But the point is that their book gives more evidence towards expecting God to rescue them than expecting a man to rescue them.

It seems very likely that Jews do not re-read the Bible dispassionately and look at the evidence and discuss alternatives.

In fairness, no one expected Jesus. This is the process of inversion. God did not save the world the way the world expected.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #6

Post by brianbbs67 »

Elijah John wrote:

It doesn't. The Messiah was never God incarnate according to hHebrew scripture. But, they wrote their bible even later than ours. About 800 ad., because all had been lost at 70 ad. The term Rabbi, didn't exist until about 600 ad. They were the repeaters of oral traditions.(Rabbi) So, this whole exercise of theology is a leap of faith because no one alive knows. So, the details are hidden. The core is written in our hearts.

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

I found this useful linking OT passages to NT fulfillments by Jesus

https://jewsforjesus.org/answers/top-40 ... rophecies/

One sample:

Isaiah 9:6–7 (ESV)
6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,

God incarnate right there - a child, a son and his name shall be called Mighty God.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #8

Post by Elijah John »

Wootah wrote: I found this useful linking OT passages to NT fulfillments by Jesus

https://jewsforjesus.org/answers/top-40 ... rophecies/

One sample:

Isaiah 9:6–7 (ESV)
6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,

God incarnate right there - a child, a son and his name shall be called Mighty God.
I think that is probably best supporting evidence of your position from the OT/Hebrew Bible. I do not really know the context, and that may shed some more light on the passage. For instance, do we really know that the verse is referring to the Messiah? How so? But one thing right off the bat. How is Jesus, the Son, the "everlasting Father"?

Even in Trinitarian thought, that is conflating the roles.

And again, isn't this a lonely passage in isolation if one wants to prove the Divinity of the Messiah? I thought Evangelicals opposed that kind of verse-mining.

-YHVH is LORD

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Elijah John]

It is a Trinitarian passage

Wonderful counselor - holy spirit
Everlasting Father - father
Prince of Peace - son

The link has 40 samples .... shall we try another?

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to Elijah John]

It is a Trinitarian passage

Prince of Peace - son
If you are claiming this passage as a roll call, you missed one. You skipped, Mighty God. This then would be evidence of four gods in one. A Quadarian passage

Mighty God - the big boss
Prince of Peace - son