Christians need to do some soul searching and Bible reading

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

Trump has told thousands of documented lies; has mocked the disabled; has separated families; cheated on his wives; and has made countless remarks that would've banned him from this forum, yet evangelical Christians in every demographic except those 'of color,' voted for him and continue to support him, i suspect because he promised to overturn Roe v. Wade, and reduce taxes on the rich and because he wasn't Hillary Clinton. That is, he promised things evangelicals wanted.
If they were mindful of the words of Jesus they would not have voted for him and would not support him.
Jesus warned:
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? ....Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire."
__ Matthew 7:15-19

Do evangelicals put their politics ahead of following Jesus?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by ttruscott »

Wow a blanket statement if I ever did see one! You don't know or speak for or to all Christians. You have no idea how many really fit your special political agenda, let alone address every one of us the same....<headshake, facepalm>
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Danmark »

ttruscott wrote: Christians need to do some soul searching and Bible reading

Wow a blanket statement if I ever did see one!
You mean Christians should not "do some soul searching and Bible reading?"

bjs
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by bjs »

While I did not vote for Trump, but I cannot fault Christians who did.

The vast majority of Evangelicals voted for Trump in the last general election, but the last general election was a farce on every level. There was no good candidate.

I remember speaking to a woman in her late 60’s. She said something like, “I didn’t vote in this election. I was trying to decide who to vote for and I realized I was trying to pick the lesser of two evils. It hit me that the word “evil� was the right one. Both candidates were evil. I have voted in every elections since I was 18, and I have never thought that way. The only protest I had left was to not vote because it would be wrong to vote for either one.�

I agree with that sentiment. To vote for Trump or Clinton, or really to not vote, goes against the values of many Christians.

I will not fault people for making a bad choice when no good choice is available.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #14

Post by myth-one.com »

bjs wrote:I will not fault people for making a bad choice when no good choice is available.
Greetings Bjs,

This all started with the election of President Obama.

For eight years the Republicans did nothing but obstruct anything President Obama attempted to accomplish.

Is it any wonder that they cannot now govern?

Then, after eight years of nothing, and after a wide search of its members, they chose Donald J. Trump as their candidate who best embodies "Conservative Christian Family Values."

Duh?
bjs wrote:While I did not vote for Trump, but I cannot fault Christians who did.
People who voted for Trump are responsible for what we have now!

I did not vote for him either.

Good for us!

But when given two bad choices, one of them is oftentimes the better of the two!

Thus, those who did not vote for the better of the two choices in their opinion, are at fault for the election of the candidate which they consider the "poorer" choice.

Those withheld votes may have determined the fate of our nation.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by bjs »

myth-one.com wrote:
bjs wrote:I will not fault people for making a bad choice when no good choice is available.
Greetings Bjs,

This all started with the election of President Obama.

For eight years the Republicans did nothing but obstruct anything President Obama attempted to accomplish.

Is it any wonder that they cannot now govern?
Howdy Myth,

This all didn’t start so recently.

“Obstructionist� politics in America date back at least to Madison. There has been an ebb and flow to them ever since. The recent increase started with Democrats taking an obstructionist approach to George W. Bush, Republicans then escalating that response under Obama, and now Democrats escalating it even further under Trump.

If doing nothing but obstructing a president from the opposing party made people incapable of leading, then neither part should currently be considered capable leaders.
myth-one.com wrote: Then, after eight years of nothing, and after a wide search of its members, they chose Donald J. Trump as their candidate who best embodies "Conservative Christian Family Values."

Duh?
I’m sure you know that Trump’s nomination was not as simple as that. He rarely got the majority of Conservative Christian votes, or the majority of votes in general, in the primaries. He often won because of the “winner take all� party approach in a widely divided field.
myth-one.com wrote:
bjs wrote:While I did not vote for Trump, but I cannot fault Christians who did.
People who voted for Trump are responsible for what we have now!

I did not vote for him either.

Good for us!

But when given two bad choices, one of them is oftentimes the better of the two!

Thus, those who did not vote for the better of the two choices in their opinion, are at fault for the election of the candidate which they consider the "poorer" choice.

Those withheld votes may have determined the fate of our nation.
I claim no virtue in not voting for Trump, and I see no failing in those who did. I cannot honestly say that the “poorer� choice won.

Every candidate from both major parties over the past century has been a better (and more favored in the polls) choice than either major party candidate of the last election.

I find no fault with the way anyone voted in the last election because no possible outcome was good.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #16

Post by myth-one.com »

bjs wrote: I find no fault with the way anyone voted in the last election because no possible outcome was good.
But were both possible outcomes equally bad?

If not, then one outcome was preferrable, or closer to good, than the other.

And if so, what not vote for that one?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #17

Post by myth-one.com »

bjs wrote:I claim no virtue in not voting for Trump, and I see no failing in those who did. I cannot honestly say that the “poorer� choice won.
That's sad.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by bjs »

myth-one.com wrote:
bjs wrote:I claim no virtue in not voting for Trump, and I see no failing in those who did. I cannot honestly say that the “poorer� choice won.
That's sad.
Perhaps. If so, as I hope I have made clear, it is because I find the situation itself to be a sad one.