Members are refusing to answer questions.

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Members are refusing to answer questions.

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

I understand that in the apologetics subsection of this forum we are to include a question for debate if we start a new thread. I always post a question for debate in all of my OPs. The problem I encounter so often is that many if not most of the people who reply to the OP refuse to answer the question for debate. For that matter, many members refuse to answer any of my questions.

So I propose that the moderators crack down on the practice of dodging the question for debate.

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Do you think we get paid to do this? All the mods here are on a volunteer basis. There's no way we'd have the time or energy or motivation or even ability to make sure people answer questions correctly. Simply enforcing the rules we have in place is a hard enough job.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Jagella »

[Replying to post 2 by otseng]

Do we need to post questions for debate?

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 3 by Jagella]

What thread? I know I hate it when people change topic in a thread i started. You can report those posts and I'll have a look.

But in general your experience is often how we all feel.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Jagella »

Wootah wrote: What thread?
I'll notify you when it happens next. It happens on almost every thread I start. The refusals continue even after I ask the question for debate a second time.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #6

Post by OnceConvinced »

Is there a rule that states all questions must be answered?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Peds nurse »

This is near and dear to my heart, because I don't always answer questions directed at me. It isn't that I would do it on purpose, but life happens, and I get busy with other things. It would be VERY difficult to enforce someone to answer questions, both for moderators as well as the people who happen to enjoy the forum. I would also like to add that sometimes perhaps questions are answered, but maybe not to the specifications of the asker!

Hugs to all!

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Jagella »

OnceConvinced wrote: Is there a rule that states all questions must be answered?
I don't think so, and honestly I can see some problems with such a rule. Some members might abuse that rule asking a great number of questions that are senseless or irrelevant.

But my questions are very relevant and sensible. I ask them to shed light on the topic. Frankly, I think a lot of members dodge my questions because they know if they answer them sensibly and honestly, then the flaws in their position(s) will be exposed.

But dodging questions can be revealing as well. I just hope people notice.

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

Jagella wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: Is there a rule that states all questions must be answered?
I don't think so, and honestly I can see some problems with such a rule. Some members might abuse that rule asking a great number of questions that are senseless or irrelevant.

But my questions are very relevant and sensible. I ask them to shed light on the topic. Frankly, I think a lot of members dodge my questions because they know if they answer them sensibly and honestly, then the flaws in their position(s) will be exposed.

But dodging questions can be revealing as well. I just hope people notice.
I find some solace in the fact that God notices everything. People not so much.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Jagella »

Peds nurse wrote:It isn't that I would do it on purpose, but life happens, and I get busy with other things.
But I remember you telling me you were too busy to address some issues I raised and then were engaging in debate on other threads.
It would be VERY difficult to enforce someone to answer questions, both for moderators as well as the people who happen to enjoy the forum.
I'm not sure why asking members to answer questions would be so difficult. I've seen many live debates in which the interlocutors ask questions and the moderator intervenes to make sure those questions are answered properly.
I would also like to add that sometimes perhaps questions are answered, but maybe not to the specifications of the asker!
I've gotten "answers" that do not truly answer the question. It's happening to me now here.

In any case, debating doesn't amount to much if people try to sneak out of the issues. That's why I'm asking the mods to crack down on question-dodging. Otherwise, it's a joke to call this forum "Debating Christianity."