Moderator: Moderators

jeremiah1five
Banned
Banned

On The So-Called "Great Commission"

Post #1

Post by jeremiah1five »

What is the "Great Commission?"
It is the teaching in the church that every new born-again baby in Christ (neophyte) MUST now go and preach Jesus to people at large, and to do it everywhere.

Here is the passage upon which this teaching stands in the Church:

Matthew 28:18-20 (KJV)
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Now, I don't know about you, but I fully understand what Paul was talking in First Corinthians 12 where he quotes God as being the One and ONLY One who baptizes into the Body of Christ and possessing of at least one spiritual gift and a pound in order to accomplish the call and ministry God has placed in their lives.

1 Corinthians 12:13-14 (KJV)
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
14 For the body is not one member, but many.

Paul adds...

1 Corinthians 12:15-18 (KJV)
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

Having said that, in order to understand the error of the so-called "Great Commission" one needs understand and accept that when we are born again, it is at that moment, that split-second, that God is the One who baptizes a person into the Body of Christ - NOT men - and gives the person everything that person is to become as God grows that new child of God in this life. One must understand the various spiritual gifts, how they work, when to work it and to do it in fellowship/Church where and when instructed by God.

Just as everything comes with instruction in Scripture - love comes with instruction of WHO to love and when to love them, as well as the knowledge that love comes with profit.

In Matthew 28:19 Matthew records Jesus instructing His 11 disciples and giving THEM this ministry of going out to the four cardinal points of the compass to where the children of Israel had been scattered by God with a three-word gospel message.

A Promise Fulfilled.

God has KEPT His Promise to Abraham and the children of Israel. But how does God get this truth to His people scattered throughout the then-known world? He does it as before, by word of mouth. But take note in verse 19. Jesus uses the emphatic "Go ye" , which when rightly divided translates to Jesus saying, "You Go!" and NOT everyone who becomes a Christian.
Jesus Christ gave this apostolic ministry to the 12, and then later, to the 11 as Matthew states. This ministry of heralding that Israel's Messiah had come the 11 disciples to whom this ministry is bestowed.

In Scripture the hand represents "service," or "service rendered." Each digit of the hand corresponds to each of what is called the "Five-Fold Ministry" of apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor and teacher. The apostle is the thumb. The prophet is the index or "pointing finger" because the prophet 'pointed' the way for the children of Israel to follow.

Jesus Christ did not apostle-ize every new Christian that becomes saved. God, the One who baptizes into the Body of Christ does not baptize every new-born Christian to be an apostle to preach Jesus everywhere they go.

It is an error in the Church which teaches that based on Matthew 28:19 we are all apostles and that we must now go and love the world and preach Jesus to every creature. It is error. And it's a big one right next to Apostolic Succession.

We are not all apostles in the Body of Christ.

We are NOT all thumbs in the Body of Christ.

If so, then where will be the ear, or the eye, or the foot?

Jesus was speaking to His eleven disciples in Matthew 28:19. Jesus gave this ministry of preaching God's Fulfilled Promise to the twelve tribes of Israel scattered throughout the world. Jesus was emphatic. He said...

"YOU (the eleven) GO!"

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: On The So-Called "Great Commission"

Post #2

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 1 by jeremiah1five]
But how does God get this truth to His people scattered throughout the then-known world? He does it as before, by word of mouth.
I'm just going to leave this here...
God is actively preventing people from understanding what Jesus says to prevent them from coming to the knowledge of the truth and become "saved" or "kept."

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

QUESTION: Was "Great Commission" given uniquely to the eleven Apostles?

The so-called Great Commission is a reference Jesus command given in Matthew 28:19 to preach the good news worldwide. Some suggest command was given uniquely to Jesus eleven Apostles and is not applicable to the wider Christian community.
  • Firstly it should be noted that it is likely that Jesus addressed more than the faithful eleven at Matthew 28:16-20. The passage speaks of these words being spoken in Galilee. While only the eleven were present for Jesus final ascension, this happened miles to the south near Jesusalem, not in Galilee. Adding to the case, is the fact that Matthew notes the presence of doubters in the audience. All the eleven had had their doubts dispelled by Jesus appearances to them by the end of the second week in, or near Jerusalem, so there must have been others in attendance at this Galilean appearance. (Paul speaks of upwards of 500 brothers being present at one time, so this Galilean appearance may well have been what he (Paul) was alluding to).

Further, Jesus had earlier already mentioned his desire that his disciples carried out a global preaching campaign, note what Luke reports Jesus saying to the "the Eleven and those assembled together with them" (Luke 24:33):
    Luke 24:47-48

On the basis of his name, repentance for forgiveness of sins would be preached in all the nations —starting out from Jerusalem. You are to be witnesses of these things.
    So the "you" of Luke 24:48 was not limited to the faithful eleven, other believers were also expected to preach to "all the nations".
QUESTION Did the "commission" apply to Christians who had not personally witnessed the resurrected Jesus?
  • There is much evidence that the early Christians were evanegizers, for example when Christian men and women were scatter to Sameria and beyond by persecution we read

"those who had been scattered went through the land declaring the good news of the word" - Acts 8:4
    The Apostle Paul urged Timothy, who was far too young to have been a Witness of the resurrection, to "Preach the word, be at it urgently in favorable season, in troublesome season.� (2 Timothy 4:2). Indeed some years later Paul spoke of the "good news that .... was preached in all creation under heaven". Logically this was accomplished by many who were not themselves present when Jesus had given the commission to preach but nevertheless had viewed it encombrant on them to do so.
PREACHING, A SIGN OF THE LAST DAYS
  • Further evidence that the COMISSION to preach was not limited to the eleven faithful disciples is found at Matthew 24:14. This verse is part of a prophecy that identifies the period that leads him to the destruction of the world system of things. We again not that Jesus includes a global preaching activity.
And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come. - Matthew 24:14
An examination of the context indicates this prophecy began to be fulfilled in the 20th century (long after the faithful eleven had died) evidently by Christians that understood that the commission to preach would apply to all Christian believers.

Jehovah's Witnesses accept the commission to preach the good news

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

Did Jesus want only his Jewish disciples to make new disciples?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 648#897648

What is the "good news" Jesus said would be preached worldwide?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 032#896032

What is involved in teaching new disciples?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 792#929792

Do Jehovah's witnesses really preach as Jesus commanded?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 826#933826

Are JEHOVAHS WITNESSES the ones that are fulfilling Mat 24:14?

FURTHER READING All True Christians Are Evangelizers
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2002002
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:38 am, edited 11 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

jeremiah1five
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by jeremiah1five »

rikuoamero wrote: [Replying to post 1 by jeremiah1five]
But how does God get this truth to His people scattered throughout the then-known world? He does it as before, by word of mouth.
I'm just going to leave this here...
God is actively preventing people from understanding what Jesus says to prevent them from coming to the knowledge of the truth and become "saved" or "kept."
That's the second time you post the above, as though I am not understanding the Scripture about God actively preventing a person from receiving the truth of God, and again here is one passage which Jesus Himself says that there are those "without" the Covenant, and those within the Covenant, just as Christ Himself identifies TWO groups of people:

those in Covenant ["THEM"] and the "world" [un-saved, un-atoned, non-Covenant].

The Scripture says in Proverbs and elsewhere that God is the One who opens blind eyes, and closes open eyes, God is the One who opens the mind, and also closes the mind to His truth. The same can be said of God opening the ear, and closing the ear.
DO YOU REALLY believe God is Sovereign or is that just for show? You can say "God is Sovereign" in one statement and contradict yourself in the next statement: "Satan can possess man," or "Satan is in the world up to no good," and not realize that these two positions contradict each other. You may also hold that man has free will to either accept Christ or reject Christ - again, a contradiction if you say "God is Sovereign."

On God preventing or allowing His Truth to be understood by men:
Matthew 13:10-11 (KJV)
10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

Mark 4:10-12 (KJV)
10 And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parable.
11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:
12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

Luke 8:9-10 (KJV)
9 And his disciples asked him, saying, What might this parable be?
10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

Christ's distinction between Covenant believers and the world:
John 17:9 (KJV)
9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

The whole chapter (and elsewhere) reveals Christ identifying those whom He prays for as High Priest about to offer Himself as sacrifice for "THEM" and those who are "the world" (a world at emnity against God), a world that is prayer-less and loveless of God.

Now, having supported my positions with the Word of God do you have a comment on the so-called "great commission?"

jeremiah1five
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by jeremiah1five »

QUOTE: FURTHER READING All True Christians Are Evangelizers

RESPONSE: There ya go.

We are ALL the middle-finger in the Body of Christ.

Now, where is the eye? Or the ear?

In your religion we are all just ONE middle-finger.

That violates Paul's teaching on the BODY of Christ. The body is NOT all one middle-finger.

I'll get back to your reply shortly.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

jeremiah1five wrote: QUOTE: FURTHER READING All True Christians Are Evangelizers

That violates Paul's teaching on the BODY of Christ. The body is NOT all one middle-finger.

I would be more than happy to reply to your post but unfortunately I have no idea what you are talking about.

Sorry,

JW

PS I take it English is not your first language, what is your mother tongue?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 4 by jeremiah1five]
That's the second time you post the above, as though I am not understanding the Scripture about God actively preventing a person from receiving the truth of God, and again here is one passage which Jesus Himself says that there are those "without" the Covenant, and those within the Covenant, just as Christ Himself identifies TWO groups of people:
There's no point to you quoting Scripture to a person such as myself. Remember...God is actively preventing me from learning the truth.
Now, having supported my positions with the Word of God
How can I agree that this is what you have done? :D I can't understand the truth, God is preventing me from doing so!

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

jeremiah1five
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by jeremiah1five »

JehovahsWitness wrote: QUESTION: Was "Great Commission" given uniquely to the eleven Apostles?

The so-called Great Commission is a reference Jesus command given in Matthew 28:19 to preach the good news worldwide. Some suggest command was given uniquely to Jesus eleven Apostles and is not applicable to the wider Christian community.
  • Firstly it should be noted that it is likely that Jesus addressed more than the faithful eleven at Matthew 28:16-20. The passage speaks of these words being spoken in Galilee. While only the eleven were present for Jesus final ascension, this happened miles to the south near Jesusalem, not in Galilee. Adding to the case, is the fact that Matthew notes the presence of doubters in the audience. All the eleven had had their doubts dispelled by Jesus appearances to them by the end of the second week in, or near Jerusalem, so there must have been others in attendance at this Galilean appearance. (Paul speaks of upwards of 500 brothers being present at one time, so this Galilean appearance may well have been what he (Paul) was alluding to).

Further, Jesus had earlier already mentioned his desire that his disciples carried out a global preaching campaign, note what Luke reports Jesus saying to the "the Eleven and those assembled together with them" (Luke 24:33):
    Luke 24:47-48

On the basis of his name, repentance for forgiveness of sins would be preached in all the nations —starting out from Jerusalem. You are to be witnesses of these things.
    So the "you" of Luke 24:48 was not limited to the faithful eleven, other believers were also expected to preach to "all the nations".
QUESTION Did the "commission" apply to Christians who had not personally witnessed the resurrected Jesus?
  • There is much evidence that the early Christians were evanegizers, for example when Christian men and women were scatter to Sameria and beyond by persecution we read

"those who had been scattered went through the land declaring the good news of the word" - Acts 8:4
    The Apostle Paul urged Timothy, who was far too young to have been a Witness of the resurrection, to "Preach the word, be at it urgently in favorable season, in troublesome season.� (2 Timothy 4:2). Indeed some years later Paul spoke of the "good news that .... was preached in all creation under heaven". Logically this was accomplished by many who were not themselves present when Jesus had given the commission to preach but nevertheless had viewed it encombrant on them to do so.
PREACHING, A SIGN OF THE LAST DAYS
  • Further evidence that the COMISSION to preach was not limited to the eleven faithful disciples is found at Matthew 24:14. This verse is part of a prophecy that identifies the period that leads him to the destruction of the world system of things. We again not that Jesus includes a global preaching activity.
And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come. - Matthew 24:14
An examination of the context indicates this prophecy began to be fulfilled in the 20th century (long after the faithful eleven had died) evidently by Christians that understood that the commission to preach would apply to all Christian believers.

Jehovah's Witnesses accept the commission to preach the good news

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

Did Jesus want only his Jewish disciples to make new disciples?

What is the "good news" Jesus said would be preached worldwide?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 032#896032

What is involved in teaching new disciples?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 792#929792

Do Jehovah's witnesses really preach as Jesus commanded?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 826#933826

Are JEHOVAHS WITNESSES the ones that are fulfilling Mat 24:14?

FURTHER READING All True Christians Are Evangelizers
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2002002
You know, back in the day with Charles Taze Russell he would punish/punitive his disobedient followers by having them stand on a corner for hours on end with his literature. That's how 'evangelism' in the J-Dub religion evolved into what it is today.

By the way, some of your friends come knocking at my door and when I ask them to not come to my door anymore they send a new face to knock on my door. Get's meanly frustrating when your JW's don't obey.

jeremiah1five
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by jeremiah1five »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
jeremiah1five wrote: QUOTE: FURTHER READING All True Christians Are Evangelizers

I would be more than happy to reply to your post but unfortunately I have no idea what you are talking about.

Sorry,

JW

PS I take it English is not your first language, what is your mother tongue?
Sure you do.
I post your link which implies we are all evangelists in the Body of Christ.

Which that is not true.

English is my primary language.

Tongues is my secondary language.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

jeremiah1five wrote:
Tongues is my secondary language.
Which language do you speak when you practice tongues?

If you can't answer that, you aren't speaking a language.