From another thread.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

From another thread.

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

This in response to a challenge to prove Jesus is God from the Synoptics only.
Why would you have to? If John, the Epistles and Revelation can prove that Jesus is God then He is God and you need to change your theology.
For debate. Are the opinions of the Evangelist John, and Paul and other epistle writers enough to prove that Jesus is God? (And given these opinions are never really explicitly stated, but rather at best, only implied.)

Even when the "Old" Testament, and Matthew, Mark and Luke and (arguably) Jesus himself make no such claim?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

bjs
Prodigy

Re: From another thread.

Post #11

Post by bjs »

marco wrote: Unfortunately the claim that Jesus is God collides with monotheism.
Hence the doctrine of the Trinity, which is monotheistic. (Also, I’m not sure what is “unfortunate� about any of this.)
marco wrote: Enthusiastically Paul and John may have likened Jesus to the mighty gods prevalent in the dominant society of Rome.
This is simply false. The theology found in the works of John and Paul bear little resemblance to the “mighty gods� of Roman society. One might argue that John made use of Greek philosophy more akin to Plato, but then these concepts were well known in Jewish thought centuries before Jesus.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

marco
Savant

Post #12

Post by marco »

bjs wrote:

Hence the doctrine of the Trinity, which is monotheistic. (Also, I’m not sure what is “unfortunate� about any of this.)

The Trinity offers a partial explanation of three gods in a monotheistic set up. It's called a mystery, so is essentially inexplicable and so beyond discussion. Conveniently.
Marco wrote:
Enthusiastically Paul and John may have likened Jesus to the mighty gods prevalent in the dominant society of Rome.
bjs wrote:
This is simply false. The theology found in the works of John and Paul bear little resemblance to the “mighty gods� of Roman society. One might argue that John made use of Greek philosophy more akin to Plato, but then these concepts were well known in Jewish thought centuries before Jesus.
It isn't false; it is my view. It conflicts with yours but that doesn't make it false unless I am discussing with divinity. I wasn't suggesting that the Roman theology was "borrowed"; the fact that humans were honoured by being deified would perhaps have inspired the writers to glorify Jesus in the same way. It is a reasonable proposition. Why have Jesus less than Augustus when a simple statement can deify the man? I agree they didn't make Jesus into Mercury or Mars, but Augustus was deified in a dignified way, in much the same manner as Jesus received his post mortem honours. Today many accept those honours were wrongly attributed, but we can easily find reasons why.

A good comparison is with Mary who, over the centuries has won the title Mother of God and though some theological distinction is made between her hyperdulian honour and God's latria, she's certainly got the status of a demi-god.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #13

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 3 by Divine Insight]

You're conflating "Son of God" with "God". There's a difference. There is room for interpretation with "Son of God". Little or none with "God".

Jews have a different interpretation of the term than do most Christians. (Except for, arguably the very first, Jewish-Christians.)
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.