Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Christianity Divested of Rewards and Punishments

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

Let's say that the Bible and Christianity were much like they are except that they promised no rewards and threatened no punishments. Yes, the Bible would let us know what the Bible god wants us to do and not do, but we are not commanded to do anything or told not to do anything. The Ten Commandments, for example, would be the "Ten Guidelines." Regardless of what you do or what you believe, there are no heavenly rewards for faith, and there is no hellish punishment for evil or unbelief.

All the Bible would be is a book of stories that claim a god magically created the world and magically interacted with it. This god just wants you to believe in him, love him, and worship him.

Question for Debate: If what I describe above was the case, would any of you bother to worship the Bible god or even believe in him?

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by StuartJ »

No way ...!!!

No way would I give up the robe and crown and the mansion in Heaven ... or an entire planet (if the Mormons have got it right).

The Hell idea isn't selling too well anymore in Christian circles, so I think that's been pretty much swept under the altar anyhow.

And as far as the rest of the laws and commandments and guidelines go, you can pretty much just pick and choose the ones you want to go with ...

And the bits you don't like you can just ignore because when "God" as Jesus came to the planet he changed the rules he dictated when he was still up in Heaven as "God" as Yahweh.
No one EVER demonstrates that "God" exists outside their parietal cortex.

Savant

Re: Christianity Divested of Rewards and Punishments

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Jagella wrote: Let's say that the Bible and Christianity were much like they are except that they promised no rewards and threatened no punishments. Yes, the Bible would let us know what the Bible god wants us to do and not do, but we are not commanded to do anything or told not to do anything. The Ten Commandments, for example, would be the "Ten Guidelines." Regardless of what you do or what you believe, there are no heavenly rewards for faith, and there is no hellish punishment for evil or unbelief.
Your argument is weird, because Bible promises eternal life for righteous as a gift, not a reward for good works.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Person who is righteous, does good and right, because he understands it is good, not because of reward.

I want to do God’s will, because I know it is good, not because of reward.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Jagella »

1213 wrote:Your argument is weird, because Bible promises eternal life for righteous as a gift, not a reward for good works.
Well, for the purposes of this discussion, it doesn't matter if you are promised a gift or a reward. I'm asking if you are promised either one--or anything good--does that make you more likely to live as a Christian believing in the Bible god? Or to put it another way, if you are promised nothing for belief in and worshiping the Bible god, would you then not bother with the Bible god at all?
...Person who is righteous, does good and right, because he understands it is good, not because of reward.

I want to do God’s will, because I know it is good, not because of reward.
Thanks for the answer, but I'm still wondering if you would believe in and worship the Bible god without any gifts or rewards. Would you believe in and worship the Bible god if there was nothing promised you for doing so?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Jagella »

StuartJ wrote: No way ...!!!
I tend to be very cynical about Christian belief and worship too. I think very few people would bother being Christians if there wasn't something in it for them. Consider Luke 6:23:
Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, for surely your reward is great in heaven; for that is what their ancestors did to the prophets.
So we see that Jesus very often offered rewards in exchange for faith as well as works. If people aren't in it for the goodies, then why all these offers? In the NRSV Bible, the word "reward" occurs twenty six times in the New Testament alone. Some form of the word "gift" occurs sixty seven times!

It's "pie in the sky."

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Jagella wrote: ... Would you believe in and worship the Bible god if there was nothing promised you for doing so?
I think there is nothing promised for me in the Bible. I still want to defend truth and love.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #7

Post by Bust Nak »

1213 wrote: I think there is nothing promised for me in the Bible.
Bible promises eternal life for righteous as a gift.
What is going on? Which is it? Bible promises eternal life but not for you?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Jagella »

1213 wrote: I think there is nothing promised for me in the Bible. I still want to defend truth and love.
You are refusing to answer my question. I will assume then that you would not believe in or worship the Bible god without a gift of some kind.

bjs
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by bjs »

[Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

Yes, of course I would still seek truth regardless of if the truth is beneficial to me or not.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Jagella »

bjs wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

Yes, of course I would still seek truth regardless of if the truth is beneficial to me or not.
That's not what I asked. Would you still believe in and worship the Bible god if there were no gifts or rewards offered to you?