Problems with the Problem of Pain

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Problems with the Problem of Pain

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

The supposal of an omnipotent, omniscient and good God is often attacked on the grounds of the presence of pain in the world. Such attacks paint the world as experienced so terrible, that one wonders why there are not more suicides: like 99% of humanity!

Yet every talk I have ever had with any atheist has revealed a relish in living.

It is as if there is just enough pain the world to reject theism; but not enough to go out and truly have a good time with friends over a pint of beer.

How do we reconcile the painting of reality made by atheists (who use the argument of the problem of evil: not all do) and the lives they live? Is this philosophical hypocrisy? Is it hypocritical to denounce a good god on the grounds that people are starving in Somalia while typing on a laptop and eating a burger from Wendy's?

(I suppose I should add that any atheist who adds his bit obviously acknowledges his or her access to a computer! and the internet! to the health and education that enables him or her to engage in this debate!)

Savant

Re: Problems with the Problem of Pain

Post #121

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: I do not believe in your God, but I have not chosen evil. I am not an evil person. I do not sin like so many Christian believers. So why would your God of infinite love see fit to have me suffer for eternity in hell or simply destroy me? Why do repentant sinners who are no better than me deserve eternity in heaven?
But what sin means? I have understood that sin is basically that one rejects God, or lives in separation of God.

I don’t think anyone suffers eternally in hell. I know that eternal life is for righteous according to the Bible, but I am not right person to say who is really righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

But, if person is righteous, he speaks truth in his heart and loves his neighbor as himself.

Yahweh, who shall dwell in your sanctuary? Who shall live on your holy hill? He who walks blamelessly does what is right, And speaks truth in his heart;
Ps. 15:1-2

I hope you are not evil person. If you are not, I think you have nothing to worry. :)

brunumb
Savant

Post #122

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 121 by 1213]
I don’t think anyone suffers eternally in hell. I know that eternal life is for righteous according to the Bible, but I am not right person to say who is really righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46
You need to read a bit more of Matthew 25 to get a different picture.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

No mention of sin or evil, just lack of charity. For this you earn eternal punishment. Wow.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #123

Post by Bust Nak »

1213 wrote: I don’t see why free people would choose good by default. Free people can make their own opinion and like whatever they like. I think it was not wrong to give freedom.
Because there is a clear logical, rational, optimal answer and anything else are illogical, irrational, and less than optimal, hence less desireable. No one would freely choose the less desireable option. We do making our own opinion and like whatever we like, but by definition, what we like most is automatically the most desire, as desires and likes are words for the same concept.

Savant

Post #124

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: …You need to read a bit more of Matthew 25 to get a different picture.
…No mention of sin or evil, just lack of charity. For this you earn eternal punishment. Wow.
Righteous person helps others and does good, because he understands it is good and right.

And I don’t think “eternal punishment� is bad thing, when it means unrighteous and evil person is destroyed and never comes back to life.

Savant

Post #125

Post by 1213 »

Bust Nak wrote:
1213 wrote: I don’t see why free people would choose good by default. Free people can make their own opinion and like whatever they like. I think it was not wrong to give freedom.
Because there is a clear logical, rational, optimal answer and anything else are illogical, irrational, and less than optimal, hence less desireable. ....
By what I have seen, many chose rather evilness and lies. Why else this world is full of war, violence, theft and lies?

brunumb
Savant

Post #126

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote:
brunumb wrote: …You need to read a bit more of Matthew 25 to get a different picture.
…No mention of sin or evil, just lack of charity. For this you earn eternal punishment. Wow.
Righteous person helps others and does good, because he understands it is good and right.

And I don’t think “eternal punishment� is bad thing, when it means unrighteous and evil person is destroyed and never comes back to life.
Do you honestly believe that people deserve eternal punishment for not being charitable?
"Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels"
Please also note again that there is no mention of evil.

brunumb
Savant

Post #127

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 125 by 1213]
By what I have seen, many chose rather evilness and lies. Why else this world is full of war, violence, theft and lies?
Perhaps things would be different if your God provided a level playing field for all of humanity.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #128

Post by Bust Nak »

1213 wrote:
Bust Nak wrote:
Because there is a clear logical, rational, optimal answer and anything else are illogical, irrational, and less than optimal, hence less desireable. ....
Hence my original claim that something went wrong. What caused people to choose evilness and lies? Bolded because by default people would choose good.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #129

Post by Aetixintro »

liamconnor wrote: The supposal of an omnipotent, omniscient and good God is often attacked on the grounds of the presence of pain in the world. Such attacks paint the world as experienced so terrible, that one wonders why there are not more suicides: like 99% of humanity!

Yet every talk I have ever had with any atheist has revealed a relish in living.

It is as if there is just enough pain the world to reject theism; but not enough to go out and truly have a good time with friends over a pint of beer.

How do we reconcile the painting of reality made by atheists (who use the argument of the problem of evil: not all do) and the lives they live? Is this philosophical hypocrisy? Is it hypocritical to denounce a good god on the grounds that people are starving in Somalia while typing on a laptop and eating a burger from Wendy's?

(I suppose I should add that any atheist who adds his bit obviously acknowledges his or her access to a computer! and the internet! to the health and education that enables him or her to engage in this debate!)
To this, I simply say that we are suffering the spells of Satan and that God, of course, remains entirely good up there in Heaven.

Some deluded people are bound to Satan and have been causing problems since the beginning of the Universe and Earth, "separation of [evil] darkness and good light" in Genesis. Thus, given that evil still has its ways in the World, ultimately, the battle between good and evil is still going on, the good or righteous people of God, living with God's salvation here on Earth as well as in Heaven and the evil people of Satan who are bound to Hell and suffering their own wicked mentality as well as the curse of God or "adverse quantum physics effects" we may say today, in 2018.

"Please, don't fall into Satan's hands! Stay with God and the blessing of life!" :D
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!