Desire

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

dio9
Under Probation

Desire

Post #1

Post by dio9 »

Christianity is vague about the cause of suffering. But without doubt realize people are suffering. They call it sin. And everyone suffers under the curse of sin. But not what causes sin. What is the cause of sin? We dance around the tree of knowledge. Never knowing. Would it help if we knew the cause of our suffering? Christianity simply doesn't give us the answer. What is the root of universal human suffering? Is it haven eaten An apple or a peach?

dio9
Under Probation

Re: Desire

Post #31

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness]

oops sorry I pushed the wrong button. my reply was meant for jgh

dio9
Under Probation

Post #32

Post by dio9 »

jgh7 wrote:
dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 24 by jgh7]

well yes it makes good sense to me. I am a Christian but feel honestly desire is the root cause of suffering, we can learn something here . Adam and Eve acted out of desire. There is a proverb about desire for money being the root of evil. Well They didn't have money but they had desire . Christian and Buddhist have something here. really Desire is the root .
Does this mean we should never desire, or are some forms of desire acceptable? Does desire always lead to suffering or can it lead to joy and happiness as well?
In the garden story desire caused them to separate from God. Sages for thousands of yrs have been saying happiness is found within , our virtues integrity honesty and honor obedience and filial piety lead to happiness but Following desire for things like eating the fruit leads to suffering. Money can't buy happiness.