Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Impending extinctions?

Post #1

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Seems the world has lost 60% of it's wildlife since 1970 (WWF) :cry:

What, if anything, should/can we do about that?

Best wishes, 2RM
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: Impending extinctions?

Post #2

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 1 by 2ndRateMind]

Other than the usual conservation effort, we should collect DNA samples and bank them digitally as a back up plan.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Bust Nak wrote: [Replying to post 1 by 2ndRateMind]

Other than the usual conservation effort, we should collect DNA samples and bank them digitally as a back up plan.
Yup, I think that's all good. But plants and animals exist in ecosystems, not in isolation. And it must be a great deal harder to bring back to life an entire ecosystem than an individual animal or plant.

Better by far to stop the erosion of the ecosystems humanity depends on for viability, than simply write them off because we have a not very good 'back up plan'.

Of course, that requires sacrifices from all of us. I'm just not clear what sacrifices, and who should best make them.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

2ndRateMind wrote: Seems the world has lost 60% of it's wildlife since 1970 (WWF) :cry:

Best wishes, 2RM
Here's a quote from the article you referenced:

"It finds that the vast and growing consumption of food and resources by the global population is destroying the web of life, billions of years in the making, upon which human society ultimately depends for clean air, water and everything else."

I suppose people could volunteer to stop eating and consuming other resources.

Are you going to be one of them?

If not, why even bring this subject up?

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by 2ndRateMind »

Tcg wrote:
2ndRateMind wrote: Seems the world has lost 60% of it's wildlife since 1970 (WWF) :cry:

Best wishes, 2RM
Here's a quote from the article you referenced:

"It finds that the vast and growing consumption of food and resources by the global population is destroying the web of life, billions of years in the making, upon which human society ultimately depends for clean air, water and everything else."

I suppose people could volunteer to stop eating and consuming other resources.

Are you going to be one of them?

If not, why even bring this subject up?
I thought some people might be interested to know the extent of the devastation humanity is wreaking on the planet, and some might consider that to be a moral issue, and some might think it of interest to consider what to do about it.

If you fall into none of these categories, then maybe you should reflect on whether or not you are part of the problem, when you could be part of the solution.

As for me, I live a spartan enough lifestyle already, (around £11,000/$14,300 per year) but even I am cutting back on the amount of meat I eat. I am told that is both good for the planet, and good for my health, so I expect a win win out of this change of habit. It might even prove to be good for my budget, also, which would be of great help.

Best wishes, 2RM.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

2ndRateMind wrote:
As for me, I live a spartan enough lifestyle already, (around £11,000/$14,300 per year) but even I am cutting back on the amount of meat I eat.
As for you? You are living a lavish lifestyle compared to me.

Perhaps you should withhold judgement until you know the facts. Of course that would require honesty and integrity.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by 2ndRateMind »

[Replying to post 6 by Tcg]

Ummmm. Where, exactly, have I cast judgment on you individually? I am simply reporting the situation as I see it. If your take on the situation is different, then that is entirely acceptable and I will note it and add it as a consideration to my deliberations. But so far, I have to say, on this and other threads, I have not found your contributions particularly constructive or even reasonably courteous.

Best wishes, 2RM.