Why were early Christians expelled from the Synagogue?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

For believing Jesus is the Messiah?

For believing Jesus is God?

Or both?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

tigger2
Sage

Post #2

Post by tigger2 »

Which Christians? When?

Before or after 135 A.D.?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #3

Post by Elijah John »

tigger2 wrote: Which Christians? When?

Before or after 135 A.D.?
Before, around the time the Gospel of John was written.

-YHVH is LORD

tigger2
Sage

Post #4

Post by tigger2 »

[Replying to post 3 by Elijah John]

Will you give me a source for this?

Elijah John
Savant

Post #5

Post by Elijah John »

tigger2 wrote: [Replying to post 3 by Elijah John]

Will you give me a source for this?
What source? Do you doubt early Christians were expelled? Or that the earliest Christians considered themselves Jews? And that there was a parting of the ways between normative Judaism and the emerging Christianity?

I thought it was common knowledge that the early Christians were expelled from the synagogue for their embrace of Jesus.

https://www.debatingchristianity.com/fo ... 221#949221

Polonius in post # 6 of this thread alludes to the event. I do believe he draws from a well of common knowledge. As do I from almost every book on the Historical Jesus that I have read.

The OP seeks to understand whether that expulsion was because of their embrace of Jesus as Messiah? Or because some thought he was God in the flesh? Or both.

So why the question, what does the Watchtower teach you about this subject?
Last edited by Elijah John on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

-YHVH is LORD

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Why were early Christians expelled from the Synagogue?

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

The gospels and the book of Acts remain our most detailed source of information about first century Christianity (The gospel of John has been dated by some as early as the end of the first century). If we hold to the bible narrative the Chrstians were viewed as Jewish Apostates promoting rebellion against the law. The religious leaders evrntually threatened anyone accepting Jesus as the Messiah with expulsion.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

tigger2
Sage

Post #7

Post by tigger2 »

[Replying to post 5 by Elijah John]

The final rift between Christians and Judaism came sometime shortly after 135 A.D. Before this schism the Jews would have killed them (never mind merely expelling them) if they entered the synagogues and proclaimed Jesus as God. In spite of problems in some synagogues concerning Jesus being the Messiah, the Christians as a sect of Judaism still had access to most synagogues until the final breakup.

If the trinity (or just the deity of Jesus) had really been taught (or believed) by the first Christians, the schism between the Jews (who considered such a teaching "an unpardonable offense") and Christians would have been immediate, irrevocable, and incredibly intense. But that is not what caused the greatest and final split between the sect of the first Christians and the Jews. Nor is it what caused Christians after 135 A.D. to rid themselves of "Jewish" aspects of the new religion (probably including the use of the Divine Name).

"The Jewish belief that the parting of the ways came not at Stephen’s martyrdom but after Bar Kochba’s war against Hadrian [132-135 A. D.] is now gaining ground. Previously there had been no event sufficiently striking to sever the ties. Christians frequented the synagogues: they were still a Jewish sect. But Bar Kochba was hailed by Aqiba as the Messiah. This the Christians could not condone and they stood aside. .... The Jews regarded the Christians as renegades: the Christians would not fight for Aqiba’s Messiah. The die had fallen and there was no recalling the past." - Encyclopedia Britannica, p. 167, Vol. 13, 14th ed.

Noted Christian Bible historian, Philip Schaff writes: " (A.D. 132-135). A pseudo-Messiah, Bar-Cochba (son of the stars, Num. 24:17), afterwards called Bar-Cosiba (son of falsehood), put himself at the head of the rebels, and caused all the Christians who would not join him to be most cruelly murdered." – p. 37, History of the Christian Church, Vol. II, Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1995 reprint.
- - - - - - - - - - - -

It was the generation following the destruction of the Temple which brought about a final rupture between Jews and Christians .... In the third rebellion against Rome [132-135 A.D.], when the Christians were unable to accept bar Kochba as their Messiah, they declared that their kingdom was of the other world, and withdrew themselves completely from Judaism and everything Jewish. The alienation process was completed. Judaism and Christianity became strangers to each other .... A wall of misunderstanding and hate was erected by the narrow zealotries of the two faiths. [pp. 152, 153, Jews, God and History, Max I. Dimont, A Signet Book, 1962.]

"Cochba [bar Kochba] ... tortured and killed the Christians who refused to aid him against the Roman army." - p. 42, Greek Apologists of the Second Century, Robert M. Grant, The Westminster Press, 1988.
"Another Christian apologist, Justin [Martyr], tells how ... Bar Kochba, the leader of the insurrection, ordered Christians alone to be executed if they would not deny and curse Jesus the Messiah." - Ibid.
"After the war the Jerusalem church, once Jewish, consisted only of Gentiles." - Ibid.

http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.co ... ians.html

polonius
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by polonius »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

The gospels and the book of Acts remain our most detailed source of information about first century Christianity (The gospel of John has been dated by some as early as the end of the first century). If we hold to the bible narrative the Chrstians were viewed as Jewish Apostates promoting rebellion against the law. The religious leaders evrntually threatened anyone accepting Jesus as the Messiah with expulsion.
RESPONSE: No. The Jews had no trouble accepting that Jesus might be the Messiah. But they condemned any who believed he was divine.

Acts 5

34 But a Pharisee in the council named Gamaliel a teacher of the law, respected by all the people, stood up and ordered the men to be put outside for a short time. 35 Then he said to them, “Fellow Israelites,[e]consider carefully what you propose to do to these men. 36 For some time ago Theudas rose up, claiming to be somebody, and a number of men, about four hundred, joined him; but he was killed, and all who followed him were dispersed and disappeared. 37 After him Judas the Galilean rose up at the time of the census and got people to follow him; he also perished, and all who followed him were scattered.�

There was also one called the Egyptian.

So there were four Messiah-candidates in the first century. No problem unless one of them was believed to be divine! :-s

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #9

Post by brianbbs67 »

polonius wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

RESPONSE: No. The Jews had no trouble accepting that Jesus might be the Messiah. But they condemned any who believed he was divine.

Acts 5

34 But a Pharisee in the council named Gamaliel a teacher of the law, respected by all the people, stood up and ordered the men to be put outside for a short time. 35 Then he said to them, “Fellow Israelites,[e]consider carefully what you propose to do to these men. 36 For some time ago Theudas rose up, claiming to be somebody, and a number of men, about four hundred, joined him; but he was killed, and all who followed him were dispersed and disappeared. 37 After him Judas the Galilean rose up at the time of the census and got people to follow him; he also perished, and all who followed him were scattered.�

There was also one called the Egyptian.

So there were four Messiah-candidates in the first century. No problem unless one of them was believed to be divine! :-s
I seem to remember a certain governor asking Paul if he was that Egyptian.

polonius
Prodigy

Where was Paul from.

Post #10

Post by polonius »

Paul was born and raised in Tarsus, a Mithraic center. It can be argued that is where the various teaching he introduced into Christianity came from.