Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Atheists Have More to Gain By Being Wrong

Post #1

Post by StuartJ »

Christians are caught in the mind-and-money trap of their faith. Their investment is huge and they are obliged to never be wrong.

We Atheists, on the other hand, are quite happy to be proven wrong. Instead of oblivion after death, we can collect our robe and crown and the keys to our mansion in Heaven with Jesus - or a whole planet if the Mormons are the ones who've got it right.

Who here, in this forum of sages and savants, will put their hand up and declare: "Yes, I am happy to be wrong ...!" ...?
No one EVER demonstrates that "God" exists outside their parietal cortex.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #21

Post by OnceConvinced »

I would love to be wrong. I would love it to be proven that a loving god really does exist, especially the one that I spent close to 40 years of my life worshipping. I would love to know for sure that it wasn't all a waste of 30-40 years.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #22

Post by OnceConvinced »

Overcomer wrote:
But you won't be collecting a robe, crown, mansion in heaven, etc. An atheist who has been wrong about God will be in hell.
One would hope that if God is truly merciful, loving, caring and just he would understand why we didn't believe in him.
Overcomer wrote:
Blaise Pascal pointed out that it's the believer in Christ who has nothing to lose by being wrong, while the atheist has everything to lose by being wrong.
But of course if Allah is the one true god at least we atheists didn't enrage him by embracing Jesus instead.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World