Looking for some help from my atheist friends...

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

EPH2:8
Apprentice

Looking for some help from my atheist friends...

Post #1

Post by EPH2:8 »

Hey all,
I was wondering if some people could help me through this. I’m a Christian. I often hear from atheists “there is no evidence for Christianity�. Christians sometimes present what they believe is evidence and it’s rejected by the atheist as evidence. Everyone ends where they began.

The Christian continues to try and respond to the atheist, presumably because the Christian believes they are correct and if they are correct the atheists soul is at stake. The atheist continues to state there is not enough evidence to believe, presumably because they think they are correct.

I often hear from the atheist “I am not saying God does not exist, I am saying I lack belief in God�. I often then see the atheist mock the Christian for “belief without evidence�. My question is...

If there really is a lack of evidence for Christianity being true and people still believe it, from an atheistic perspective ...so what? The Christian is making a truth claim about reality, and while I’d like to argue the atheist is as well, I’m often told atheism makes no claims. The atheist then often continues to attempt to poke holes in Christianity all while hiding behind the guise of "I'm not making any claims".

Now I believe a worldview should be supported by evidence because I believe truth about our reality / universe / God does exist. From any atheistic perspective, which makes no truth claims about reality and the existence of God, why do you challenge a worldview an individual holds all while not making claims of your own?

It comes off to me as
Theist:Im Correct
Atheist: No you're not
Theist: Oh, you must hold the truth than, show me what is correct
Atheist: Im not making any truth claims, I don't have to, you're just wrong.

I appreciate you working through this thread with me, and apologize if there is confusion..maybe I'll chalk it up there with the category of the God compared to a robot alligator thread :study: :tongue:

marco
Savant

Re: Looking for some help from my atheist friends...

Post #2

Post by marco »

EPH2:8 wrote:

From any atheistic perspective, which makes no truth claims about reality and the existence of God, why do you challenge a worldview an individual holds all while not making claims of your own?
That's an interesting post. I moved from the Christian position but I don't see myself as upholding some rival position. Around me are mountains and seas; creatures of various shapes and sizes, and food for me to consume. I am here and so are they. I have no theory as to how or why my world is what it is. There is no requirement on me to investigate the Big Bang theory or enter the arena of gods. I am what I am.

Christians, however, do introduce theories to explain things. They say a being formed the first specks of matter and they give details of this being breathing life into mud. What makes me doubt the account is the later performances of this almighty being. Biblically he is reduced to some mountain giant, talking about peace treaties with some people while wanting to wage war on others. I earnestly hope that heaven isn't a place with this great lumbering giant.

I propose nothing in explanation. I have no "world view" on how or why. I was born without my permission and doubtless will leave in the same fashion. I haven't the intellect to explain origins. I think the Genesis explanation is nice poetry but is rather simplistic. Of course God may indeed be a simple soul, but I'd prefer to believe that if there is another world, it is much, much better than the Bible makes out and God has a sense of humour, smiles on sinners and kisses rather than kills. Sadly there is nothing among Earth's foliage to indicate this will be so. Go well.

RedEye
Scholar

Post #3

Post by RedEye »

EPH2:8 wrote: Hey all,
I was wondering if some people could help me through this. I’m a Christian. I often hear from atheists “there is no evidence for Christianity�. Christians sometimes present what they believe is evidence and it’s rejected by the atheist as evidence. Everyone ends where they began.

The Christian continues to try and respond to the atheist, presumably because the Christian believes they are correct and if they are correct the atheists soul is at stake. The atheist continues to state there is not enough evidence to believe, presumably because they think they are correct.

I often hear from the atheist “I am not saying God does not exist, I am saying I lack belief in God�. I often then see the atheist mock the Christian for “belief without evidence�. My question is...

If there really is a lack of evidence for Christianity being true and people still believe it, from an atheistic perspective ...so what? The Christian is making a truth claim about reality, and while I’d like to argue the atheist is as well, I’m often told atheism makes no claims. The atheist then often continues to attempt to poke holes in Christianity all while hiding behind the guise of "I'm not making any claims".
Why do you think it is a guise? If it is just a ruse, you should be able to identify the claim an atheist is making. I would be interested to know what that claim is.

It can't be "I hold no beliefs in god(s)" because that is a statement about lack of belief. It is a truth statement, not a claim. Unless you think atheists are lying?
Now I believe a worldview should be supported by evidence because I believe truth about our reality / universe / God does exist. From any atheistic perspective, which makes no truth claims about reality and the existence of God, why do you challenge a worldview an individual holds all while not making claims of your own?
Is there some rule which says we can't?
It comes off to me as

I appreciate you working through this thread with me, and apologize if there is confusion..maybe I'll chalk it up there with the category of the God compared to a robot alligator thread :study: :tongue:
That seems like a reasonable response from the atheist (except that they should give a reason why the theist is incorrect and not just flatly state that the theist is wrong without explaining why - I think you are doing atheists a disservice there). Apart from that proviso, I'm not sure what your complaint with the exchange is exactly.
Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by amortalman »

Hey all,
I disagree that everyone ends where they began. As with any exchange of ideas or beliefs, both sides come away with something they didn't have before, however little it might be. Debates are good. Debates are healthy. Through them, we flesh out our beliefs and expose them to opposing views and often ridicule but in the process, we grow in understanding.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #5

Post by benchwarmer »

EPH2:8 wrote: It comes off to me as
Interesting post. Let me address the above if I may. IMHO, the exchange is more like:

Theist: I propose <insert favorite god concept> exists.

Atheist: Ok, interesting. Can you show me some evidence.

Theist: Read this book and/or listen to my personal experience.

Atheist: Umm, while that may be convincing evidence for you, it is not actual, physical evidence of any kind of god. It is a collection of heresay.

Theist: Ok, you tell me what is true.

Atheist: I make no claims about the existence of any god concepts. I can only say that so far, no verifiable evidence of any god has been put forth. As a matter of fact, we have evidence that religions are made by men. Even you don't believe EVERY other god concept put forward by man, just the ONE that you happen to be trying to convince me of.

Theist: But you must have some evidence that my god does not exist.

Atheist: It doesn't work that way. Some god may indeed exist, but I see no evidence for yours or any other. More interestingly, your group of believers can't even come to an agreement on the exact characteristics of the god you believe in, never mind all the other gods proposed. This should tell you something.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

[Replying to post 1 by EPH2:8]

Atheists cannot really be lumped as a particular whole in their reasons for poking holes. Some simply enjoy mocking others that they find ridiculous. They are just as likely to poke fun at Christians as they are at Muslims, Buddhists, and Homeopathists (is that a word? :-p). Personally, I poke holes because I think it is dangerous. Some worldviews can be entirely safe. If someone thinks eating a hot dog every day will make them live to 100, then so be it. I don't care. But when someone's worldview is that God only loves those who accepts Jesus and desires to burn the planet and all who inhabit it at some unknown future event, this has many backfiring effects. It sets an us vs them dichotomy that causes hate and an attitude of who cares about the planet since it will be destroyed anyway. Not everyone comes to those conclusions, but many do. Our planet is at risk and our polarization makes it worse. Thus, the holes must be poked to bring people to a more rational standpoint that will solve the problems that might destroy us. Of course, most people's method of doing this simply creates yet another us vs them which is why you feel like atheists are making claims. Claiming "you are wrong" is not quite the same as claiming "this is right." We can tell people they're wrong all day without knowing what is true. A pink elephant didn't create the world. Neither did a clown, etc, etc. This doesn't mean we have to know what did create the world, just that there is no reasonable evidence to say it was one thing or another.
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

wiploc
Guru

Post #7

Post by wiploc »

EPH2:8 wrote: Hey all,

I often hear from the atheist “I am not saying God does not exist, I am saying I lack belief in God�. I often then see the atheist mock the Christian for “belief without evidence�.
We atheists constantly get told that atheism is the belief--or worse, the certainty--that gods do not exist. So we push back against that misrepresentation.

People who identify as atheists generally include all non-theists as atheists. So, to us, atheism includes both strong atheists (those who, like me, believe gods do not exist) and weak atheists (those who don't believe either way).

It may be that you'd like to engage with some strong atheists, to ask us why we believe no gods exist. I think you'll find we're happy to defend our position, so long as we can do so without conceding that all atheists are strong atheists.

So if you say something like, "Those of you who believe there are no gods, why do you believe that?" you'll get the answer you're after. But, if you instead say something like, "Why do atheists believe there are no gods?" then you'll get only semantic argument on the meaning of "atheism."

My question is...
If there really is a lack of evidence for Christianity being true and people still believe it, from an atheistic perspective ...so what? The Christian is making a truth claim about reality, and while I’d like to argue the atheist is as well, I’m often told atheism makes no claims.
Because atheism includes weak atheism, which is not believing either way.

The atheist then often continues to attempt to poke holes in Christianity all while hiding behind the guise of "I'm not making any claims".
Some of us make claims. And even some of the weak atheists are happy to point out logical flaws in a particular religion. You don't have to "hide behind" something to point out someone else's logical error without making a claim of your own.

Suppose that I said that theists claim that baptism is by immersion. You wouldn't come back with a defense of baptism. You'd come back with an explanation that not all theists believe in immersion, and not all theists even believe in baptism.

That wouldn't mean you were hiding behind something. That would just mean you were clearing up a semantic misconception before you could go on to the meat of the argument.

I could have avoided that semantic argument by saying, "Those of you who believe baptism has to be by immersion, why is that?" Then we'd get right to the meat of things.

But if I start with, "Theism says that baptism must be with immersion," then you wouldn't be hiding behind anything when you said, "No, theism itself doesn't make any claims about baptism."

Most arguments have one person advancing a claim while another defends against it. That's normal. There's nothing wrong with it.
Hypothetical argument:

Sara: "Two plus two equals 1731."
Joe: "No, that's way to big."
Sara: "All right hotshot, what do you think two plus two equals."
Joe: "Something well less than 100, I'd imagine. I don't really remember."
Sara: "Don't hide behind your own ignorance. If you don't think 1731 is right, you have to provide a better answer."
Joe: "I really don't. I just have to point out that your argument isn't compelling. I don't know the right answer, but I know that your answer isn't right because two evens always add up to another even."
Sara: "No, you can't legitimately claim to be refuting my answer unless you provide your own."

But Sara's wrong about that. a1731ists include 4ists and 7ists and many other ists. a1731ism doesn't make any claims in and of itself (because it also includes weak a1731ists, those who don't have any opinion).

Now, it is possible to set up a special debate where both sides carry the burden of proof, and both sides try to defend against the other person's claim while asserting their own. This is a more than average complicated debate format. It works best with people who like and trust each other, or who are just good at staying focused.

You'd have to set that up, though. You can't just start out by saying, "God is real," and assume that anyone responding has assumed the job of proving that gods aren't real.

It comes off to me as
1. Theist:Im Correct
2. Atheist: No you're not
3. Theist: Oh, you must hold the truth than, show me what is correct
4. Atheist: Im not making any truth claims, I don't have to, you're just wrong. [line numbers added]
In line two, the atheist makes a claim. So the atheist has assumed the burden of proof regarding that claim. The atheist could meet that burden by proving that gods don't exist, but she could also meet it by showing that the theists argument was flawed.

Depending what came before line 1, that burden might be met by as little as just pointing out that atheism, in and of itself, makes no assertions.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 1 by EPH2:8]
so what? The Christian is making a truth claim about reality, and while I’d like to argue the atheist is as well, I’m often told atheism makes no claims. The atheist then often continues to attempt to poke holes in Christianity all while hiding behind the guise of "I'm not making any claims".
Strictly speaking, this is true. The Christian is making the claim that his personal model of reality matches actual reality, and I, as an atheist, am being invited to critique it. Strictly speaking, there is no onus on me to provide a counter-claim of what reality actually is.
Think of it like a movie critic. He sees a movie whose director says is the best movie ever, only for the critic to find all sorts of problems with it. The critic does not have to make a movie of his own.
Because it is not just an individual worldview. It's not like there's only a bare few Christians in the world.
There are a few billion of you, albeit splintered into all sorts of denominations. Your worldview(s) have influenced legislation that influences me and mine. For example, here in Ireland, there is virtually not a single primary level school that is not affiliated with a Christian group of one sort or another.
It comes off to me as
Movie Director: My movie is the best
Critic: No it's not not
Movie Director: Oh, ok then you make the best movie
Critic: I don't have to, I'm responding to your claim.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

marco
Savant

Post #9

Post by marco »

[Replying to post 7 by wiploc]

Attractive arguments. Of course if someone declares that 1234567 x 3456789 is 123543643841 the answer can be declared wrong from simple mathematical considerations. There's no need to know the correct answer to make this statement. I think you want to compare this with: "There is a God." "No, you are wrong." I know of no logical reason why we can declare this wrong with the same certainty that the above product is wrong. I don't really know where Dawkins gets the fuel for his strong atheism.

Dismissing Yahweh and Allah and the rest is reasonable; they are poor candidates for almightiness. But the unnamed candidate, too obscure for human reason, cannot so easily be dismissed, though I agree we can live a life in the belief he's not there with no adverse consequences. If that's the summit of strong atheism, amen.

However,I suspect there's more to strong atheism than that, so I would be interested in how one dismisses: "There is a God" with certainty. Go well.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

These two sentences reveal your bias right of the bat. You seem to think Christians have some grand and glorious reason for their responses, but assume atheists reply only because they think they are correct.

Until you are willing to set this bias aside, correcting your misconception about what atheism is versus what individual atheists may claim would be a waste of time.

You've already revealed the fact that you think atheists respond for a less valid reason than your fellow Christians. You seem simply to be fishing for an excuse to continue to believe that.