Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Lying for Jesus ... Again

Post #1

Post by StuartJ »

Several of us here have accused persons of faith of lying by omission.

Is omitting things that don't fit your faith a sin ...?
No one EVER demonstrates that "God" exists outside their parietal cortex.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

I feel like an example is in order. Not sure what you mean.
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: Lying for Jesus ... Again

Post #3

Post by Jagella »

StuartJ wrote: Several of us here have accused persons of faith of lying by omission.

I'd like to see an example, too.

I do know that "lying for Jesus" is common enough. I started a thread about it last year,
Lying for Jesus. One member there claimed:
JehovahsWitness wrote:If my religion depended upon lies to gain "converts" I wouldn't belong it.
I since then have posted a lot of evidence that the Watchtower has indeed lied and on numerous occasions lied to cover up sex abuse and child abuse within its ranks. As far as I know there have been no deconversions from the Jehovah's Witnesses.

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by StuartJ »

We'll have to take this as a generalisation ...

Otherwise, it becomes personal.

Simply take it that I and others have seen persons of faith lie by omission.

Perhaps Atheists who have discovered that one or more versions of "God" are more than imaginary also leave such unfortunate facts out of their submissions.

Is it a sin ...?

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by StuartJ »

One day, when I was teaching doctor of ministry students at a conservative theological seminary, I brought up the subject of ethics and lies. Almost with one voice, those students let me know that “it is OK to lie, as long as we are lying for Jesus.�
http://fmcusa.org/lightandlifemag/is-ly ... an-virtue/

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
Our problem here is in determining if a given omission is the product of deceit or ignorance, and how a god we can't show exists might have him an opinion on it.

I'm reminded of the notion of not attributing to malice what can best be explained by ignorance.

Is there such a thing as deceitful ignorance?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Jagella »

StuartJ wrote:
One day, when I was teaching doctor of ministry students at a conservative theological seminary, I brought up the subject of ethics and lies. Almost with one voice, those students let me know that “it is OK to lie, as long as we are lying for Jesus.�
http://fmcusa.org/lightandlifemag/is-ly ... an-virtue/
An example of a lie of omission in the context of Christianity might be to convert a person that you know abhors violence without telling that person about the inherent violence in Christianity and in the Bible.

Another lie of omission might be to convert a person who wants to live a moral life they believe is probable as a Christian without telling that person that many Christians live very immoral lifestyles.

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

StuartJ wrote: Several of us here have accused persons of faith of lying by omission.

If the bible is the standard to refer to determine what is and isn't sin, then it seems the answer is clearly yes:

Ephesians 4:14 "As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming; 15 but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ,"

Trickery of men is bad. Deceitful scheming is bad. Speaking the truth in love is good.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Jagella »

Tcg wrote:If the bible is the standard to refer to determine what is and isn't sin, then it seems the answer is clearly yes:

Ephesians 4:14 "As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming; 15 but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ,"
That passage from Ephesians defines truth as "growing up into Christ." In other words, truth is what we say truth is, and you must follow our god to realize that truth. It's very convenient to define truth as anything I say.

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

Jagella wrote:
In other words, truth is what we say truth is, and you must follow our god to realize that truth. It's very convenient to define truth as anything I say.
It's quite a trick. Truth would simply be one in a long list of words that get redefined to twist the meaning of inconvenient passages.