Does the journey or the destination matter more?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #21

Post by Wootah »

Tcg wrote:
Wootah wrote: The goals colour our present activities and help us to survive them.
Once again you reveal your own priority for the journey over the destination.

The goals are only valued in that they help us survive "our present activates" - i.e. the journey.
I'm now lost on this journey. I'm not denying either exist. Does that help you?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #22

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 18 by Tcg]

Hopefully, I am showing that the destination is so much more important than the journey that it even colours the quality of the journey.
If that is your goal, you have failed.

As I have already stated, you've revealed that the only value the destination has is that it improves the journey.

Wootah
Savant

Post #23

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 22 by Tcg]

How are my explanations not helping you?

Tcg
Savant

Post #24

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote:
Tcg wrote:
Wootah wrote: The goals colour our present activities and help us to survive them.
Once again you reveal your own priority for the journey over the destination.

The goals are only valued in that they help us survive "our present activates" - i.e. the journey.
I'm now lost on this journey. I'm not denying either exist. Does that help you?
How could it? It doesn't address anything that I have said.

Wootah
Savant

Post #25

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 24 by Tcg]

That can happen. Anyway, I experience a lot of difficulty in conversation with you. I'll see if others can interpret your point and help out.

marco
Savant

Post #26

Post by marco »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 18 by Tcg]

Hopefully, I am showing that the destination is so much more important than the journey that it even colours the quality of the journey.

It is to be expected that gratification beats striving for it. The saying is meant to praise effort. It is meant humbly to say that we can at least be thankful for what we see and learn in our journey through life. It also says that we can wait with hallowed expectation, and imagine a thousand delights, but all too quickly delight fades, even when we are given what we desired. The thought is a lovely one and experience persuades of its truth.

Of course if we turn our attention to heaven and its nameless delights, the journey through this dangerous place of temptation and trial in no way equals the quality of the harps we will hear, and in this singular sense, attaining heaven far excels all friendships and follies we mistakenly love on Earth. Unfortunately no one has ever verified that such delightful compensations await anyone. Old time flies and the journey is over all too soon. We should not expect too much from our shroud.

BeHereNow
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by BeHereNow »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 16 by BeHereNow]

Employment is to provide money for the various financial goals we have. The goals colour our present activities and help us to survive them.

Also if you have no employment it is wise to set that as a destination and go study.
I am confused. The journey and the destination are equivalent?
Employment was the journey - holiday the destination.
Now employment has become the destination.

Can we say that holiday is the journey?

It has long been known that expectations often exceed realization.

When destinations lead to desire, we will consider ourselves lacking, in a state of need. When we lack what we need, we suffer.

Destinations cause suffering.