Questions that might be calvinist related

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Questions that might be calvinist related

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Suppose two people, a and b, agree to build a house. But person a does all the work and by all i mean 100%.

Is there any argument that can be made that person b worked on the house?

--

Suppose two people a and b, are to do an assignment together. But person a does all the work and by all i mean 100%.

Then the teacher asks them and they honestly both tell the teacher their contribution. So the teacher knows.

What marks should each student get for the assignment?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Re: Questions that might be calvinist related

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Suppose two people, a and b, agree to build a house. But person a does all the work and by all i mean 100%.

--

Suppose two people a and b, are to do an assignment together. But person a does all the work and by all i mean 100%.

Then the teacher asks them and they honestly both tell the teacher their contribution. So the teacher knows.

That depends on who is making the determination. If God is making the judgement, according to his grading of Jacob and Esau, builder b may get an A+, and student b may get an Incomplete.

This is a paraphrase of course, but God will give an A+ to those he gives an A+ to and Incompletes to those he gives Incompletes to.

If I were to pass out grades, I'd want to know the quality of work done.

If the house fell over after a week, builder b would certainly remind everyone that they aren't responsible in any way. Builder a would deserve all the credit for the failure and I'd judge that they deserved it.

If the assignment involved shoddy work, I'd give an F to student a and an Incomplete to student b.

God grades in mysterious ways. Mine are a bit more straightforward.

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 2 by Tcg]

Thats why i posted here. I want your answer to the direct questions.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Tcg]

Thats why i posted here. I want your answer to the direct questions.
I answered them. Please take note of the three phrases that begin with the word, "If". They contain my answers.

Given that you made no mention of the quality of the housebuilding nor of the assignment, I had to qualify my answers appropriately.

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]
Suppose two people, a and b, agree to build a house. But person a does all the work and by all i mean 100%.

No. Person B did not uphold their part of the agreement, which was to 'build a house'.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by rikuoamero »

But person a does all the work and by all i mean 100%.

An old thread, but I'll give it a shot, and after posting my reply I'll read the other replies and see where it went.

My answer to this is no, at least not any argument that does not rely on some sort of deception. If Person A worked on the house 100% (and this can be shown to be true), then anyone who tries to argue that B contributed even the slightest part to construction would be deceptive or mistaken.

This is a different question. This is an academic question. The teacher could have asked for a ten page essay on the rise and fall of Nazism, for example, but even if A wrote ten pages while B wrote nothing, and they honestly say how much work they did, A could still get a failing grade if the essay is full of errors, or has no citations or is poorly written or spelled etc etc.
I'm basing this answer on something I did as a young lad for a test. It's an English test, and the question was something like "Discuss the protagonist of an English novel you have studied". Rather than write about one of the novels we studied in class, I instead wrote about a novel I had read on my own time, which of course the teacher was unfamiliar with.
Or perhaps even more pertinent to the question. I and a couple of other students were told to work together to write something (can't remember what) and translate it into Irish. I said I'd do all the work, but what I ended up doing was using an online English-to-Irish dictionary to translate things literally word by word (Google at the time did not translate E-to-I), which of course meant things were out of context or using the wrong tense. So instead of saying the Irish equivalent of "He made a cake" (which correctly is Rinne sé císte, pronounced Rin-neh shay keesteh), I produced sé déanta cáca milis (pronounced shay day-nta kawka milish), which is he made cake when translated back literally into English (one will notice that in Irish, the order of words is different, the correct translation, when translated literally back into English is Made he cake).

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #7

Post by rikuoamero »

So Wootah, was there a point to this thread? You never did follow up with a conclusion.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Wootah
Savant

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

rikuoamero wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

So Wootah, was there a point to this thread? You never did follow up with a conclusion.
Sure. Its still open not old.

I am listening to some Calvinists who believe that a person can't even have the free will to accept Jesus because that would be a work.

And my questions hopefully challenge that notion.

1) If person A then gives the house to person B who accepts it can we claim person B did any work on the house?

Wootah
Savant

Post #9

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 8 by Wootah]

Or example 2. I made the example a bit too loose tbh but what i meant is that the teacher has to give them both the same mark. But we would not s asy person B did the work.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 8 by Wootah]
I am listening to some Calvinists who believe that a person can't even have the free will to accept Jesus because that would be a work.
I'm somewhat skeptical of the notion of free will, as in I'm not entirely sure what it is or if it's been proven to be real. I myself am of course not bothered with the part where they say it's about being a 'work'. That to me just seems like nit-picking.
1) If person A then gives the house to person B who accepts it can we claim person B did any work on the house?
We can claim it yes...but it would not be true. A could have built extensions to the house, did the wiring, etc, all the while B just parked himself on the sofa. This is in fact what happened with myself - my landlord cleared the shed and made it into a photo lab, all on his own. I contributed not one bit of help.
but what i meant is that the teacher has to give them both the same mark. But we would not s asy person B did the work.
In my case, the teacher would have to give failing grades (which is what happened). I did all the work, but I did it so poorly that my efforts counted for nil. Whereas my buddies got even lower marks.
I don't see any justification for giving all the same mark, regardless of who does the work or the quality.