Euthanasia

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

fonso
Student

Euthanasia

Post #1

Post by fonso »

Is physician assisted mercy-killing acceptable in your opinion?

For me, I would have to say yes. I would knowingly take the life of a friend or relative if it would ease them of immense suffering.

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

I have moved this to the debate section from the ethical dilemma subforum. The topic is geared more for a full blown debate.

ST88
Site Supporter

Re: Euthanasia

Post #3

Post by ST88 »

fonso wrote:Is physician assisted mercy-killing acceptable in your opinion?
Yes. As a culture, we are obsessed with death being a punishment. Criminals who, in my opinion, would suffer more greatly in prison for the rest of their lives, are, instead, put to death. Presumably because death for us is like the punishment of exile given in ancient cultures, thinking that the great accounting system in the sky will judge.

Movies are filled with the satisfaction of heroes at having killed the instigator of some horrible crime. Often, in modern movies, it's a simple shot with little earthly suffering. We are supposed to feel good because the bad guy gets killed.

I think this attitude has an undue influence on the way we inform ourselves about end-of-life decisions. When it is clear that the condition is terminal, that palliative measures are no longer working, and the individual truly wishes it, then the right to die is justified.

As for myself, I think I could only perform the act of euthanasia if it was in a controlled setting like a hospital, and I had been informed of exactly what was going to happen. I don't think that turning off breathing machines or removing food tubes is a good idea, as these cause harm to the body before death. I think I would only support giving a painless overdose of some kind of drug -- I don't know for sure if something like this exists, but if it doesn't, it should.

Additionally, I think not enough attention has been given to palliative care for the terminally ill. These are individuals who, in my view, would benefit from painkilling and/or mind-altering substances that are currently Schedule I drugs.

I should add that I have never been in this situation, so I have never had to make a real-world choice on this. I may be completely wrong about how I would feel, but this is my best guess.

fried beef sandwich
Student

Post #4

Post by fried beef sandwich »

It depends.

Has the patient indicated that he desires to undergo PAS? Is the patient in a sufficient state of mental clarity to understand the consequences of this decision?

My views are tinted by personal experience. My grandmother is currently disabled and is suffering from Congestive Heart Failure. (FYI, this is when your heart does not beat efficiently. You get a low blood pressure, poor oxygenation, and fluid backs up in your lungs.) Today, our lives revolve around endless trips in and out of the hospital. She'll be fine for a while, but then her heart starts fibrillating, and the fluid builds up, and it's off to the ER for meds.

I am definitely in favor of PAS and mercy killing, but don't get me wrong: it's not because I feel that my gramma is a burden on the family.

It's just that no one should ever have to drown to death in their own fluids.

That's just a horrible way to die.

littlesoul
Student

Post #5

Post by littlesoul »

Is physician assisted mercy-killing acceptable in your opinion?

I say no.

Who says it is mercy? that is a long-shot! If you've read "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" by Tolstoy, you'll see that Ivan went through a tremendous spiritual journey via the suffering he underwent before his death. Who knows in whom this may or may not be the case???

You may indeed be doing the greatest dis-service to he individual concerned by cheating them of the opportunity to evolve as a soul.. to learn life's lessons just prior to death even.

No monotheistic scripture condones or even mentions so-called 'mercy' killing as far as I am aware, and remember, life in the Biblical environment was somewhat harsher than today...

Another point to consider is that as a general rule, might it be the case that modern lifestyles might lead to horribler deaths? that's just a thought...

In any case I would suggest that until science can actually explain what life and death ARE, they should stick to making better dvds or something. Mind you, most scientists work for the military, so there you go....

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by ST88 »

littlesoul wrote:Who says it is mercy? that is a long-shot! If you've read "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" by Tolstoy, you'll see that Ivan went through a tremendous spiritual journey via the suffering he underwent before his death. Who knows in whom this may or may not be the case???
Just by way of literary argument -- and this is a major digression -- I disagree that Ivan Ilyich Golovin undergoes a spiritual journey. Modernist literary theory holds that actually the opposite is true. Ivan discovers just how matter-of-fact and sensual death is, in complete opposition to his servant Gerasim, who views his death as God's will.

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #7

Post by Angry McFurious »

If I am living off a machine he better put me down!

I vote yes.
:dance: ~Jews Rock~ :dance:

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Amadeus »

Since I look at everything through a God-filled lens...

I would have to say that only God has the right to take away what He has given (life).

Corvus
Guru

Post #9

Post by Corvus »

Amadeus wrote:Since I look at everything through a God-filled lens...

I would have to say that only God has the right to take away what He has given (life).
If he has given it, why has he the right to take it away? To me, there is no right more self-evident than that of a man or woman having control of his or her own life. I cannot conceive of a suicide being a criminal, so I cannot conceive of a physician also being a criminal if he assists.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

Amadeus
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Amadeus »

My point was that we did not give ourselves existence, God did. He gave us a soul, we did not create our soul. So, naturally, we do not have the right to take it away. He put us here for a reason, and He will decide when our purpose is done.