Do all people have equal fundamental worth and dignity?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

Do all people have equal fundamental worth and dignity?

Post #1

Post by historia »

Do all people have equal fundamental worth and dignity? Why?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #41

Post by Bust Nak »

JoeyKnothead wrote: As the challenged claimant has subsequently responded to other posts, we're left to ponder why my challenges to his claims are being otherwise ignored.

I seek to expose the claimant as trying to dishonor honorable debate, by hiding behind the cover of such as "I believe", and "It's been reported"....

"JehovahsWitness", I have witnessed you!
:warning: Moderator Warning

Posters are under no obligation to answer every challenge here, and opinions require no support.

you've crossed the line by making it personal.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #42

Post by The Tanager »

Yes, they would still be saying "all humans have equal fundamental worth and dignity," but that statement now has different content. It doesn't mean the same thing as how the OP (seems to me) to ask it. Asking if all people have equal fundamental worth and dignity is the same as asking whether all the specific groupings of people have equal fundamental worth and dignity as each other. Do Americans have equal...Do Rwandans have equal...Do LBGTQ have equal...Do Jews have equal, etc. When we specify parts of the OP in this way (which seems equivalent to the original intent, although I am definitely nuancing it more and don't require others to have nuanced it in the same way) I still see the problem. The thought experiment says (at least) that every human acts as though Jews do not have equal fundamental worth and dignity. Yes, the reason is because they are defined as sub-human, a redefining of what I believe God placed in all humans at their creation, but I read the OP as including Jews in the groups being asked about having equal fundamental worth and dignity.
RightReason wrote:Hmmm . . . not sure I buy that. Isn’t that a little like resorting to, “How do any of us really even know if any of us are really here?� I’m mean sure we can play the philosophy game, but it starts to become a little silly. There are basic truths we should all be able to admit and acknowledge, less we are all simply reduced to wondering if all of this is really just a dream.
I agree, my point was just that (and maybe I read you wrong) your argument doesn't prove, 100%, that we all have equal fundamental worth and dignity. It certainly makes that position more plausible than the alternative on a similar level to how we should trust our physical senses rather than assuming we are in the matrix.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #43

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 37 by William]
That is way too simplistic.
Yes, I agree my explanation is way too simplistic, but I still submit there is a truth there. We certainly can learn/know about what IS by simply observing and acknowledging what IS.

historia
Prodigy

Re: Do all people have equal fundamental worth and dignity?

Post #44

Post by historia »

[Replying to post 6 by Divine Insight]

You didn't answer the question.

historia
Prodigy

Re: Do all people have equal fundamental worth and dignity?

Post #45

Post by historia »

StuartJ wrote:
historia wrote:
Tall people have more fundamental worth as basketball players than vertically challenged people.

Intelligent people have more fundamental worth as doctors than intellectually challenged people.
Interesting. You appear to be arguing here that people's worth is only measured by their value to other people.

Is it your contention, then, that people do not have intrinsic worth?
StuartJ wrote:
It's a poorly presented topic.
If you find the question confusing, please feel free to ask any questions for clarification. Since most of the participants in this thread appear to have understood the question quite easily, and responded accordingly, many can explain it to you.