Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

God's mercy and compassion.

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Psalm 103:13-14
As a father has compassion on his children, so YHVH has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.
1) How does this verse square with the Evangelical notion that one must be perfect or believe that Jesus died to "pay for" our sins in order to experience God's mercy and compassion?

2) How does this verse square with the notion that the "God of the Old Testament" is a God of wrath, and not a God of Fatherly compassion?

3) Is the model of God as Father compatible with the doctrine that He needs blood in order to forgive? How so?

Please address any combination of the above.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #71

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Preferring X over Y does not make X desirable or "okay." It simply means Y is more undesirable. One could prefer being forcefully marched across glass shards over being burned at the stake, but that doesn't make a person like the idea of walking on glass shards nor does it mean it is an "okay" (or loving) act to force someone to do it. A person may prefer slavery to death, but that is not because they like slavery, but rather they prefer non-death. To argue against this is to allow all kinds of abominations as okay so long as we can find another worse concept to compare to.

And if you think something is "okay" by God's standards who is a God of love, then you are explicitly stating that these things are not "unloving" and thus fit within "love". You are explicitly stating that slavery is okay. You are explicitly stating that rape of women is okay because it is preferable to death. You are thus explicitly saying they are "loving" things to do.
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

shnarkle
Guru

Post #72

Post by shnarkle »

Elijah John wrote: [Replying to post 68 by shnarkle]

You don't have to convince me that abortion is wrong. I agree, it is. And the fetus is a human being, not property. Likewise, neither is the slave "property". They were human beings, made in God's image.
Glad you agree, but that's beside the point. The point is that one can only work within the boundaries set by the societies God's people found themselves living with. A similar law could be established today which would be identical to the principle utilized with slavery, e.g. All pregnancies may be purchased at a federally regulated and set price which shall supersede the need for late term abortions. This would effectively eliminate late term abortions. A repeal of Doe vs. Bolen would have the same effect returning the status of the unborn to that of a person who the government has an invested interest in protecting. Either way, it is working within the boundaries of the laws of a country or society to improve the situation.

Under the laws of the surrounding people's, a slave could be beaten to death without any repercussions whatsoever. There are some exceptions, but they are silly in comparison, e.g. Plato's Euthyphro.
So where is the consistency in your argument in bringing up the this example?
Sorry, I answered this before I read your whole post. See above.
But this is what advocates of Bible perfection have to do. They have to attempt to defend the indefensible, passages like Exodus 21.20-21
Frankly, I see no reason to think this is all that difficult to defend. If I purchase a slave from the surrounding population, under the Mosaic law, that slave now has rights he never could have dreamed of otherwise. He is protected from excessive abuse, but he is also required to fulfill his duties, and barring unwarranted or impossible requests, he must fulfill them. It is no different than requesting a thief be sent to prison, and do his time without incident. Those who refuse to cooperate need discipline, no? I suppose they could be sedated in order to keep them from destroying public property or hurting themselves or anyone else, but you don't seriously think we should just let convicted felons fun wild do you? It's the same principle with slavery.
Or admit that the Bible is not infallible.
The bible may be fallible, but it certainly isn't in this case.
It is my position that this passage alone, (and there are many, many others) is evidence that the Bible is not perfect, nor is it the verbatim "Word of God".
I don't have dog in that fight. I'm simply pointing out that when dealing with people who are necessasrily depraved, one will have to resort to corporal punishment. It's that simple and it's been the case throughout history. If they're hopelessly depraved, they're put to sleep for their own good, and the good of society as a whole.

It is no secret that our own justice system is based upon these principles found in the Mosaic law.
And by the way, employers paying their employees unfairly low wages, sub-subsistence, is one of those sins that "cries out to heaven" according to the RCC.

Who determines what is unfair or low wages? The person being paid? When there are a dozen others who have no problem being paid those same wages, what do you do then?
So pointing to employers who exploit their employees in order for you to justify some forms of slavery doesn't work either.
I just made it work, prove me wrong. Hey, we'd all like to be paid a grand an hour, but it isn't going to happen for everyone. It may very well not be fair, but that's just tough. Some aren't worth it, and more importantly, you have no right to tell me or anyone else what they have to do with their money, or how they need to spend it. If i want to pay one guy a grand an hour and another guy ten dollars an hour, and they agree to it, then it's none of your business. If the guy getting a grand an hour decides he can't live on that, then he can go look for a better job from someon who will pay him that much.
They are both wrong.
So you keep asserting. Perhaps you can refute what I've already posted.

shnarkle
Guru

Post #73

Post by shnarkle »

ElCodeMonkey wrote: Preferring X over Y does not make X desirable or "okay." It simply means Y is more undesirable. One could prefer being forcefully marched across glass shards over being burned at the stake, but that doesn't make a person like the idea of walking on glass shards nor does it mean it is an "okay" (or loving) act to force someone to do it. A person may prefer slavery to death, but that is not because they like slavery, but rather they prefer non-death. To argue against this is to allow all kinds of abominations as okay so long as we can find another worse concept to compare to.

And if you think something is "okay" by God's standards who is a God of love, then you are explicitly stating that these things are not "unloving" and thus fit within "love". You are explicitly stating that slavery is okay. You are explicitly stating that rape of women is okay because it is preferable to death. You are thus explicitly saying they are "loving" things to do.
Nobody desires being disciplined, but let someone go without discipline and there are going to be problems later on, perhaps even immediatly. Perhaps we ought to just do away with the criminal justice system altogether because it doesn't match up with you ideals of love and compassion. We can see how well this works in 'gun free zones' when some convicted felon strolls in and starts shooting the place to pieces. All those laws don't do a thing to stop anyone from breaking them until they are forcefully restrained either with a good beating, or a bullet.

More to the point, the Mosaic law offererd upward mobility in the same way employment does today. There are already plenty of people in public office pointing out that all of the unemployment today offers those without work the opportunity to improve their lives by learning to play an instrument, learnign to paint, be an artist, go bird watching, etc.

How can people be so unloving and uncompassionate as to think working for a living should be an option when being allowed to pursue other more rewarding goals is truly loving and compassionate? There is nothing loving or compassionate about "slaving" at a job.

The problem is that there are actually people who want to be slaves. There are people who need slavery, and just because some are so intolerant as to think these alternative lifestyles should be outlawed doesn't mean we should or that it's even warranted.

When the economy implodes in on itself and those who have the wherewithal to employ a dozen or more people; we can call it what we want, but it's effectively no different than slavery as outlined in the Mosaic law. The slave has a nice place to sleep, and eats the same food as his master. That's what the law states. How many employers today provide that level of equality to their employees?