What did Christ Yeshua command us, part 1-Obey the Law

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

brianbbs67
Guru

What did Christ Yeshua command us, part 1-Obey the Law

Post #1

Post by brianbbs67 »

I am compiling lists of what Jesus commanded us to do to follow him. They easily came under topics. The first I would like to explore is his command for all to follow the Law and Prophets. I used the four gospels only.

Here is Matthew:

5:14, 17-19 7:12-24 15:4-9 19:7 11:50 22:37-40 23:1-3

28:19-20

Mark:

1:44 7:8-13 10:2-12 10:19 12:29-31

Luke-Acts, 1:

4:4 4:8 4:12 5:14 8:21 10:26-28 11:28 16:16-18 16:29-31

17:10? 18:20

John :

5:45-47 6:45 7:19 8:17 10:34-38 14:15,21,23-24 15:10,25

These are verses where Jesus says follow the law or obey my commands. Which many of his commands were to uphold the Law. This list is not authoritative or probably fully complete. It came one evening as I read through the 4 Gospels completely and wrote down chapter and verse I says pertaining to the Law.

Looking at this alone. Why are we not following the Law that Christ told his followers to follow?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: What did Christ Yeshua command us, part 1-Obey the Law

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

brianbbs67 wrote: Why are we not following the Law that Christ told his followers to follow?

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses we believe Christians are not under the Mosaic Law as we hold that Christ fulfilled the law at the moment of his sacrificial death and that from that time on those that want to serve God must do so in line with Christian law and principle.
ROMANS 10:4
For Christ is the end of the Law - NWT

EPHESIANS 2:15
By means of his flesh he [Jesus] abolished the emnity, the law of commandements consisting in decrees - NWT

"He did this by ending the system of law with its commandments and regulations." - NLT

ROMANS 7:6
But now we have been released from the Law [...]

ACTS 15:21
For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you [gentile Chtistians] except these necessary things: to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality.

Jehovah's Witnesses accept all verses of all 66 books of the bible canon (including those written by the Apostle Paul) as being inspired of God.

RELATED POSTS

Does the bible say the Mosaic law has been "abolished"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 76#p918176

Are Christians under the Mosaic law?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 76#p950776

Mat 5:17 : Did Christ indicate that his death would signal the end of the Jewish obligation to obey the Mosaic law?
viewtopic.php?p=950778#p950778
To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

BIBLICAL LAW, THE MOSAIC LAW COVENANT and ...THE ABRAHAMIC CONVENANT
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

QUESTION Did Christ indicate that his death would signal the end of the Jewish obligation to obey the Mosaic law?
JOHN 4:21
" .. the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship ...."

JW

RELATED POSTS

Does the bible say the Mosaic law has been "abolished"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 76#p918176

Are Christians under the Mosaic law?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 76#p950776

Did Jesus not say he had not come to abolish the law [Mat 5:17] ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 78#p965278

Does Mat 5:18 not indicate that none of the Mosaic law would ever pass away? [this post]
viewtopic.php?p=1042911#p1042911

Do the teachings and philosophies of Jesus as expressed in the Gospels, taken by themselves, indicate he intented to start a "new religion"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 45#p792645
To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

BIBLICAL LAW, THE MOSAIC LAW COVENANT and ...THE ABRAHAMIC CONVENANT
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #4

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 2 by JehovahsWitness]

He did fulfill the law. See definition C, here.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/le ... lexResults

When did Christ command us the law was done away with himself?

Heaven and Earth remain. All the prophet's have not come to pass. So, not one Jot or tittle can pass from the law.

Did Christ proclaim ALL is finished or it(his part) is finished?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

brianbbs67 wrote:Did Christ proclaim ALL is finished or it(his part) is finished?

That which is fulfilled is finished.

ALL the law was embodied in Christ so if he fullfilled all that which was embodied in him, doing his part, then *all* the law was fulfilled.
GALATIANS 3:24

Therefore the law was our [a]tutor to bring us to Christ - New King James Version (NKJV)
1 CORINTHIANS 1:20

for it is he who is the "Yes" to all of God's promises. This is why through Jesus Christ our "Amen" is said to the glory of God. - Good News Translation
Further, Jesus made it clear he was speaking about the entire law code by saying not the smallest letter of the law would go unfulfilled. His words made no implication of a partial fulfillement, ie Jesus didn't say he came to fulfill a part of the law. Further a partial fulfillement woild render his claim null and void. If a contracter promises to build a house and builds a house but fails to put in a roof he has not fulfilled his contract. He cannot point to the walls and say I kept a part of the contract. Jesus came contracted to keep the law, all the law perfectly. In doing so he fulfilled/completed it and it came to an end in its entirety (compare John 19:30).
MATTHEW 5:17

“Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but to fulfill

JW

*Jehovah's Witnesses believe in using critical thinking skills in biblical analysis.; All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of JWs

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #6

Post by brianbbs67 »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:Did Christ proclaim ALL is finished or it(his part) is finished?

ALL the law was embodied in Christ so if he fullfilled all that which was embodied in him, doing his part, then *all* the law was fulfilled.

Therefore the law was our [a]tutor to bring us to Christ - New King James Version (NKJV)

for it is he who is the "Yes" to all of God's promises. This is why through Jesus Christ our "Amen" is said to the glory of God. - Good News Translation
Further, Jesus made it clear he was speaking about the entire law code by saying not the smallest letter of the law would go unfulfilled. His words made no implication of a partial fulfillement, ie Jesus didn't say he came to fulfill a part of the law. Further a partial fulfillement woild render his claim null and void. If a contracter promises to build a house and builds a house but fails to put in a roof he has not fulfilled his contract. He cannot point to the walls and say I kept a part of the contract. Jesus came contracted to keep the law, all the law perfectly. In doing so he fulfilled/completed it and it came to an end in its entirety (compare John 19:30).

“Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but to fulfill

JW

*Jehovah's Witnesses believe in using critical thinking skills in biblical analysis.; All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of JWs
I will ask , again. Have heaven and Earth passed? Has all of the law and prophets (predictions) happened? No, of course not.

Fulfill doesn't mean to end. That is a different word all together. I fulfill my marriage vow every day. Is my marriage ended? Certainly not.

How can something end which God himself said was perfect and forever? The new Covenant was the writing of the law upon our hearts. God's law, not man's tradition started by gentiles with itching ears.

Check out 2 peter 3:14-17. Peter agrees that Paul teaches the Law but is misunderstood by ignorant (gentiles) and unstable people who twist his words. And Acts24: 14 where Paul confirms again he teaches the law and prophets as his ancestors did. Once it is seen Paul is actually in harmony with Christ and Peter, it is impossible to unsee. If any scripture is not in harmony with the rest of scripture, then we either understand wrongly or the whole thing should be tossed out. In fact, Paul was never accused of teaching Christianity, he was falsely accused of NOT teaching the law. Or teaching the law has been changed. This would never pass the test in Duet 13 on how to judge a prophet or dreamer. God said His law will never change. So, is God now a liar? The front of the bible is key to understanding the back of the bible.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #7

Post by brianbbs67 »

Huh. I expected more debate on this hot button topic. Live and learn. This practice of Hebrew belief was how the church following the way of christ was founded and believed for about 200 years. Until Rome destroyed Jerusalem and co-opted the religion leaving us with what we have now.

showme
Sage

Post #8

Post by showme »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote: Why are we not following the Law that Christ told his followers to follow?

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses we believe Christians are not under the Mosaic Law as we hold that Christ fulfilled the law at the moment of his sacrificial death and that from that time on those that want to serve God must do so in line with Christian law and principle.
ROMANS 10:4
For Christ is the end of the Law - NWT

EPHESIANS 2:15
By means of his flesh he [Jesus] abolished the emnity, the law of commandements consisting in decrees - NWT

"He did this by ending the system of law with its commandments and regulations." - NLT

ROMANS 7:6
But now we have been released from the Law [...]

ACTS 15:21
For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you [gentile Chtistians] except these necessary things: to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality.

Jehovah's Witnesses accept all verses of all 66 books of the bible canon (including those written by the Apostle Paul) as being inspired of God.

RELATED POSTS

Did Christ indicate that his death would signal the end of the Jewish obligation to obey the Mosaic law?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 778#950778
That certainly puts you under the umbrella of the "lawless" "tare" church of Paul, but what happens when the tares are the "first" to be "gathered" and "burned"? (Matthew 13:30 & 41)

showme
Sage

Post #9

Post by showme »

brianbbs67 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

JW

I will ask , again. Have heaven and Earth passed? Has all of the law and prophets (predictions) happened? No, of course not.

Fulfill doesn't mean to end. That is a different word all together. I fulfill my marriage vow every day. Is my marriage ended? Certainly not.

How can something end which God himself said was perfect and forever? The new Covenant was the writing of the law upon our hearts. God's law, not man's tradition started by gentiles with itching ears.

Check out 2 peter 3:14-17. Peter agrees that Paul teaches the Law but is misunderstood by ignorant (gentiles) and unstable people who twist his words. And Acts24: 14 where Paul confirms again he teaches the law and prophets as his ancestors did. Once it is seen Paul is actually in harmony with Christ and Peter, it is impossible to unsee. If any scripture is not in harmony with the rest of scripture, then we either understand wrongly or the whole thing should be tossed out. In fact, Paul was never accused of teaching Christianity, he was falsely accused of NOT teaching the law. Or teaching the law has been changed. This would never pass the test in Duet 13 on how to judge a prophet or dreamer. God said His law will never change. So, is God now a liar? The front of the bible is key to understanding the back of the bible.
Peter was no friend of Paul (Galatians 2), and he was most probably dead when 2 Peter was written. As for who Peter was, he was "Satan" and a "stumbling block to me" (Matthew 16:23), and the "worthless shepherd" of Zechariah 14:16-17), who would not feed, care or tend the sheep. At the "end of the age", both the "stumbling blocks" and those who "commit lawlessness" will be gathered and thrown into the "furnace of fire".

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #10

Post by brianbbs67 »

showme wrote:
brianbbs67 wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote:

JW

Peter was no friend of Paul (Galatians 2), and he was most probably dead when 2 Peter was written. As for who Peter was, he was "Satan" and a "stumbling block to me" (Matthew 16:23), and the "worthless shepherd" of Zechariah 14:16-17), who would not feed, care or tend the sheep. At the "end of the age", both the "stumbling blocks" and those who "commit lawlessness" will be gathered and thrown into the "furnace of fire".

Actually many believe that Simeon, brother of Yeshua, wrote 2nd Peter as the writing is so similar to Jude, another brother of Christ. The true Heads of the Jerusalem Church were James the Just, Simeon(simon peter) and Jude. That is the actual succession of the office. After this time the temple fell and Rome did what it did and we have what we have. Something of partial truth, some say half-truth.