Fundamentally incapacitated

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

postroad
Prodigy

Fundamentally incapacitated

Post #1

Post by postroad »

I do love me some fundamentalist debaters. But they get banned pretty quick.

Couldn't we have a subsection where they could be themselves without being sanctioned as heavily for rule breaking?

Maybe I'm a sucker for abuse but they can be entertaining.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: Fundamentally incapacitated

Post #2

Post by rikuoamero »

postroad wrote: I do love me some fundamentalist debaters. But they get banned pretty quick.

Couldn't we have a subsection where they could be themselves without being sanctioned as heavily for rule breaking?

If there was a cordoned off section of the site just for rule breakers...do you think they'd stay?
I've gotten a few mod warnings, and I'm thinking, that if I was restricted to just one section, I'd leave the site for good.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

postroad
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 2 by rikuoamero]

I suppose it is just nostalgia for my youth.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

postroad wrote: I do love me some fundamentalist debaters. But they get banned pretty quick.

There are a few hardcore fundamentalists on this website already. It's not against the rules to be a fundamentalist. It's only against the rule to be uncivil. There are fundamentalists who have learned to walk the tightrope of civility whilst maintaining their fundamentalists views.

For example, most fundamentalists accept Paul's words in Romans 1 to be the "Word of God".

Of non-believers Paul says the following:

Romans 1:
[28] And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
[29] Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
[30] Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
[31] Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
[32] Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Now if a fundamentalist were to accuse another forum member directly of being all these things, they would be cited for incivility. They could also be cited for incivility if they accused an entire group by name of theses things, say for example accusing atheists of these thing directly.

However, by simply being diplomatic in their choice of how they boast of their superiority over non-believers, they can basically convey this same idea without accusing a specific individual or group directly by name. Just like Paul did.

There are several members who often express Paul's sentiments above in diplomatic ways that avoid incivility citations.

The fundies that get banned on the ones who fail diplomacy and just blurt out that the person they are debating with is all the things that Paul has decreed. Those people get cited repeatedly and eventually kicked off the forums.

So it's possible to be a fundamentalist and remain on board. You just need to learn how to walk that diplomatic tightrope of civility.

After all, Christianity condemns everyone who refuses to acknowledge that Yahweh and Jesus are God. That's just the nature of the religion.

John 3:
[16] For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
[17] For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
[18] He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Think about how silly John 3:16-18 is. In John 3:17 John says that God sent Jesus into the world not to condemn the world but to save it. But then in John 3:18 he proclaims that anyone who does not believe in Jesus as the Son of God is condemned already. :roll:

Technically if a Christian were to tell another member that if they don't believe in Jesus they are condemned already, they will be cited for incivility. You're not allowed to tell people they are condemned by God. But clearly this is what this religion holds to be true, so there are civil ways to express this.

For example, you can't shout at someone in all caps, "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL HEATHEN!" That will get you banned.

But you can politely explain that according to John those who don't believe in the name of Jesus as the Son of God are condemned already.

You can hardly get cited for having said that, all you are doing is basically quoting scripture.

It's basically not what you say, but how you say it.

Technically speaking Christianity is an uncivil religion. It accusing everyone who refuses to believe in it with all the mean hateful accusations that Paul spews, and condemns them all to hell directly. So it's fundamentally an uncivil religion. But for some reason, that's deemed to be ok. As long as it's not used to accuse any individuals or groups directly by name, it's "all systems go".

In other words, you can be as uncivil as you like, as long as you do it politely. :D

And there are definitely quite a few hardcore Fundamentalists on these forums who have learned how to avoid the incivility citations that fundamental Christianity most certainly represents.

It's fundamentally and uncivil religion. Let's face it. Romans 1 and John 3 are two prime examples, and there are many more. Like the verse that says that preaching to heathens is like casting pearls before swine. That's just poetic incivility.

People have been banned from this website for insinuating that those who reject scriptures are "swine". And they even argue that this is scripture on their way out the door. :D

Jesus himself would most likely get crucified for his incivility toward the Jewish Chief priests.

In fact, that's exactly what happened. Jesus got banned for incivility. :D

But yeah, the fundies are on here. They have just learned how to fly just below the incivility radar.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]