Why are most atheists politically liberal?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

amortalman
Site Supporter

Why are most atheists politically liberal?

Post #1

Post by amortalman »

It seems to me that most atheists are politically liberal. But why is that? And should we include agnostics, humanists, and freethinkers? Most creationists tend to be political conservatives. Has it always been this way or is this relatively new? In the U.S., the polarization of the two parties is so severe that the thinking seems to be that if one identifies with either side he is expected to buy into the entire philosophy.

I've asked a lot of questions because as an agnostic I consider myself a conservative on most issues. Am I a man without a country? I would be interested in hearing what you have to say about any or all the questions I presented.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: Why are most atheists politically liberal?

Post #2

Post by rikuoamero »

amortalman wrote: It seems to me that most atheists are politically liberal. But why is that? And should we include agnostics, humanists, and freethinkers? Most creationists tend to be political conservatives. Has it always been this way or is this relatively new? In the U.S., the polarization of the two parties is so severe that the thinking seems to be that if one identifies with either side he is expected to buy into the entire philosophy.

I've asked a lot of questions because as an agnostic I consider myself a conservative on most issues. Am I a man without a country? I would be interested in hearing what you have to say about any or all the questions I presented.
I consider myself conservation on many issues. I think the deal with most atheists being politically liberal is that in the past, the issues that they fought over, were opposed by conservation religious bodies.
Nowadays however...they have become 'the man' that they once fought against, and their liberal positions have become what conservative atheists like myself now argue against.
For example, a quick and dirty example, was the fight for 'free love', the de-stigmatisation of having multiple romantic/sexual partners. Nowadays, people like myself see the harm that comes from that.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #3

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to post 1 by amortalman]

Why would it surprise you that humanists and free thinkers would be liberal in general (and hence also politically liberal?) It just seems like a natural fit, so much so that I am finding it hard to answer your question. I mean, why wouldn't we be politically liberal?

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by amortalman »

Bust Nak wrote: [Replying to post 1 by amortalman]
Why would it surprise you that humanists and free thinkers would be liberal in general (and hence also politically liberal?)
It doesn't surprise me that some humanists and freethinkers are liberal and I didn't say that it did. I simply asked a few questions.
It just seems like a natural fit, so much so that I am finding it hard to answer your question.
I don't know why you find it hard to answer my question, (actually, there were four questions), but maybe you could explain why it is hard for you. In your reply, you referenced the first two questions. They were legitimate and straight forward. You didn't answer them but seem to be questioning my motives.
I mean, why wouldn't we be politically liberal?
I don't know, why don't you tell me. Sounds like a good question for a new thread. I am an agnostic and freethinker but much of the liberal agenda I disagree with and I don't think I'm alone. One such was the first to reply to this OP.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #5

Post by Bust Nak »

amortalman wrote: It doesn't surprise me that some humanists and freethinkers are liberal and I didn't say that it did. I simply asked a few questions.
Well I still don't know how to answer, other than to point out it's a natural fit.
I don't know why you find it hard to answer my question, (actually, there were four questions), but maybe you could explain why it is hard for you.
Because I don't know why it would be any other way.
You didn't answer them but seem to be questioning my motives.
Not motive, but premises/preconceptions that lead up to the question. For example, if someone asks if evolution is true, how come there are still apes. The preconception is that apes evolved into man so there shouldn't be any left. With that in mind, I can come up with a detailed answer to directly address that.
I don't know, why don't you tell me.
Maybe it's related to where you grew up? Maybe it's left over from time spent in religion? I really can't think of many reasons why we would not be liberal.
I am an agnostic and freethinker but much of the liberal agenda I disagree with and I don't think I'm alone. One such was the first to reply to this OP.
You are not alone, just the minority.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by amortalman »

Bust Nak wrote:
amortalman wrote: It doesn't surprise me that some humanists and freethinkers are liberal and I didn't say that it did. I simply asked a few questions.
Well I still don't know how to answer, other than to point out it's a natural fit.
But surely there are reasons why it's a natural fit for you.
I don't know why you find it hard to answer my question, (actually, there were four questions), but maybe you could explain why it is hard for you.
Because I don't know why it would be any other way.
In other words, you can't conceive of any reason why an atheist et all doesn't buy into the whole liberal philosophy. Let me give you one example. The political Left in America is, for the most part, pro-abortion. I believe that abortion is morally apprehensive. I have my reasons for believing this apart from what the Bible or religious folk says. As a result, I won't vote for a pro-abortionist.
I am an agnostic and freethinker but much of the liberal agenda I disagree with and I don't think I'm alone. One such was the first to reply to this OP.
You are not alone, just the minority.
One thing I respect about free-thinkers is that we don't have to join the marching band to play music.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #7

Post by Bust Nak »

amortalman wrote: But surely there are reasons why it's a natural fit for you.
Because I perfer a free and fair society over an authoritarian one?
In other words, you can't conceive of any reason why an atheist et all doesn't buy into the whole liberal philosophy. Let me give you one example. The political Left in America is, for the most part, pro-abortion. I believe that abortion is morally apprehensive. I have my reasons for believing this apart from what the Bible or religious folk says. As a result, I won't vote for a pro-abortionist.
But you know that won't stop abortion nor would it even reduce abortion by any significant amount, and you know it'll make live worse for lots of people. Why would you do that even if you believe that abortion is morally wrong?
One thing I respect about free-thinkers is that we don't have to join the marching band to play music.
Right, as long as you acknowledge that being in a marching band does not imply we are any less free-thinking than the outliers.

wiploc
Guru

Post #8

Post by wiploc »

amortalman wrote: It seems to me that most atheists are politically liberal.
I think that's the way of it here in the USA.

But why is that?
In part, I believe, this is because the conservatives claim the banner of religion. They act like you can't be a good theist without being conservative, and you can't be a good conservative without being a theist. To the extent that they are successful, to the extent that they get people to buy into this, they persuade non-theists that they ought to be liberal, and they persuade liberals that they ought to be non-theists.

In The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics And Religion, Jonathan Haidt uses a metaphor about the mind being like a human riding an elephant. The rider is the conscious reasoning mind, small, weak, and yet it thinks it's in charge. The Elephant is the unconscious mind and the emotions. The elephant mostly does what it wants, while the rider mostly acts as a press secretary, "My elephant is turning left here. Left is good! Left is good!"

I won't try to develop the metaphor here, but Heidt has this quotation I like:
Your elephant knows which way to lean in response to terms such as pro-life,
and as your elephant sways back and forth throughout the day, you find yourself
liking and trusting people around you who sway in sync with you.
So if think a group of people is usually right on some subjects, then we tend to suspect they are right other subjects too.

Incidentally, I think this has to do with why rates of religion are falling in the US. Republicans claim the banner of religion, and then behave so badly that people think, "That's religion? I don't need it."

That's only one factor, but I suspect it's significant.

I used to be a conservative atheist, so I understand your position. But I was never anti-abortion; I don't understand that.

I am pro-abortion. I think abortions are good, that lots of people ought to have them.

I feel the same way about rhubarb. If rhubarb wasn't good, people wouldn't choose to eat it. I hate it myself, but I trust people to be making the right decision for themselves. If it didn't seem good to them, they wouldn't eat it. I trust free people to make their own right decisions about rhubarb. I am against big government stepping in to say either, "You must eat rhubarb," or, "You must not eat rhubarb."

In a free country, people get to make their own decisions about rhubarb and reproduction.

Because I'm pro-abortion, I don't take kindly to your claim that most liberals are pro-abortion. Being pro-choice isn't the same. If you're pro-choice on guns, that doesn't mean you think people ought to own them, and being pro-choice on abortion doesn't mean you think people ought to have them.

[/quote]

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by amortalman »

Bust Nak wrote:
amortalman wrote: But surely there are reasons why it's a natural fit for you.
Because I perfer a free and fair society over an authoritarian one?
There are political extremists on both sides of the issue. But to imply that conservatives are against a free and fair society and are authoritarian is beyond ridiculous.
But you know that won't stop abortion nor would it even reduce abortion by any significant amount, and you know it'll make live worse for lots of people. Why would you do that even if you believe that abortion is morally wrong?
I would do that because I believe abortion is morally wrong and somewhere you have to make a stand. As far as making life worse for lots of people what could be worse than the wholesale slaughter of millions of unborn babies since Roe vs. Wade?
Right, as long as you acknowledge that being in a marching band does not imply we are any less free-thinking than the outliers.
The comment was in response to your statement that conservative atheists, agnostics, and freethinkers, are in the minority as if that is a bad thing. And I did say that we didn't have to join the marching band.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by amortalman »

wiploc wrote:
amortalman wrote: It seems to me that most atheists are politically liberal.
I think that's the way of it here in the USA.

But why is that?
In part, I believe, this is because the conservatives claim the banner of religion. They act like you can't be a good theist without being conservative, and you can't be a good conservative without being a theist.
Good points
To the extent that they are successful, to the extent that they get people to buy into this, they persuade non-theists that they ought to be liberal, and they persuade liberals that they ought to be non-theists.
Why would conservatives want to persuade anyone to be liberal? And why would they persuade liberals to be non-theists? Isn't that in opposition to what they believe?
Incidentally, I think this has to do with why rates of religion are falling in the US. Republicans claim the banner of religion, and then behave so badly that people think, "That's religion? I don't need it."
I think you are right as far as it goes. But you can't hang it all on the Republicans. Church people who behave badly come from all political persuasions.
I used to be a conservative atheist, so I understand your position. But I was never anti-abortion; I don't understand that. I am pro-abortion. I think abortions are good, that lots of people ought to have them.
Is that comment meant to ruffle me? You believe as you please and I'll do the same.
I feel the same way about rhubarb. If rhubarb wasn't good, people wouldn't choose to eat it. I hate it myself, but I trust people to be making the right decision for themselves. If it didn't seem good to them, they wouldn't eat it. I trust free people to make their own right decisions about rhubarb. I am against big government stepping in to say either, "You must eat rhubarb," or, "You must not eat rhubarb."

In a free country, people get to make their own decisions about rhubarb and reproduction.
Babies aren't quite the same as rhubarb or they?
Because I'm pro-abortion, I don't take kindly to your claim that most liberals are pro-abortion.
I spoke wrong. I meant to say pro-choice. But I don't why you would take offense since you admitted to being pro-abortion AND a liberal. Are you against being in the majority?