Everyone lies in wait to shed blood;
they hunt each other with nets.
3 Both hands are skilled in doing evil;
the ruler demands gifts,
the judge accepts bribes,
the powerful dictate what they desire—
they all conspire together.
4 The best of them is like a brier,
the most upright worse than a thorn hedge.
The day God visits you has come,
the day your watchmen sound the alarm.
Now is the time of your confusion.
5 Do not trust a neighbor;
put no confidence in a friend.
Even with the woman who lies in your embrace
guard the words of your lips.
6 For a son dishonors his father,
a daughter rises up against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
a man’s enemies are the members of his own household.
7 But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord,
I wait for God my Savior;
my God will hear me.

Luke 12:49-53 New International Version (NIV)

Not Peace but Division
49 “I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 But I have a baptism to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed! 51 Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52 From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.�

Matthew 10:34-36 New International Version (NIV)

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn

“‘a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’[a]

Yet Christianity claims to be the new covenant.

That doesn't compute. God promised to give unity and peace after the punishment.

Why would any textualy literate Jew have accepted the curse as the promised salvation?

Why would he have accepted any individual respresenting the spirit of strife and disunity as the Messiah?

showme
Sage

Re: Israel's misery

Post #2

Post by showme »

[Replying to post 1 by postroad]

Yet Christianity claims to be the new covenant.

That doesn't compute. God promised to give unity and peace after the punishment.

Why would any textualy literate Jew have accepted the curse as the promised salvation?

Why would he have accepted any individual respresenting the spirit of strife and disunity as the Messiah?
The "judgment"/punishment is not done (Joel 5). The messenger of Malachi 4:4 came and did not turn the son to the fathers, and the land was smitten by a curse.

The messiah was to come after seven weeks and six-two weeks of the 70 weeks. The holy people were then to be "given into his hands", the hands of the prince to come, Caesar, for time, times, and half a time, "until these events will be completed" (Daniel 12:7), which was 1967 when "Jerusalem" was "restored" (Daniel 9:25). We have now just finished a week of Sabbath years since the restoration of Jerusalem (Daniel 9:24-25) & (Joel 3:1). Now all we are waiting for is the "crushing all at the same time" the nations of Daniel 2:35. After which, the kingdom which will never be destroyed" will be set up (Daniel 2:44-45).

postroad
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 2 by showme]

Elijah never came and God himself brought about any defects in action in accordance to his will.

Jesus claimed John had come in the spirit of Elijah and according to Paul Jesus came in order to bring about an end to the Law.

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #4

Post by brianbbs67 »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 2 by showme]

Elijah never came and God himself brought about any defects in action in accordance to his will.

Jesus claimed John had come in the spirit of Elijah and according to Paul Jesus came in order to bring about an end to the Law.
Read the verse directly after the one that says "the law and prophets were until John"

postroad
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 4 by brianbbs67]
Funny how the last Gospel denied that?

New International Version (NIV)

20 He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, “I am not the Messiah.�

21 They asked him, “Then who are you? Are you Elijah?�

He said, “I am not.�

“Are you the Prophet?�

He answered, “No.�

22 Finally they said, “Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?�

23 John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, “I am the voice of one calling in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way for the Lord.’�[a]

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #6

Post by brianbbs67 »

Luke 16:17 was what I referred to.

https://biblehub.com/luke/16-17.htm

postroad
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 4 by brianbbs67]

The text from Isaiah indicated a forgiveness and restoration. Not a deliberate hardening and continued punishment.

Isaiah 40:1-3 New International Version (NIV)

Comfort for God’s People
40 Comfort, comfort my people,
says your God.
2 Speak tenderly to Jerusalem,
and proclaim to her
that her hard service has been completed,
that her sin has been paid for,
that she has received from the Lord’s hand
double for all her sins.
3 A voice of one calling:
“In the wilderness prepare
the way for the Lord[a];
make straight in the desert
a highway for our God.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 6 by brianbbs67]

Ok. Aparantly that also is to happen.

Isaiah 65:17 New International Version (NIV)

New Heavens and a New Earth
17 “See, I will create
new heavens and a new earth.
The former things will not be remembered,
nor will they come to mind.

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.[a]

11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives 12 as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. 13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.

showme
Sage

Post #9

Post by showme »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 4 by brianbbs67]

The text from Isaiah indicated a forgiveness and restoration. Not a deliberate hardening and continued punishment.

Isaiah 40:1-3 New International Version (NIV)

Comfort for God’s People
40 Comfort, comfort my people,
says your God.
2 Speak tenderly to Jerusalem,
and proclaim to her
that her hard service has been completed,
that her sin has been paid for,
that she has received from the Lord’s hand
double for all her sins.
3 A voice of one calling:
“In the wilderness prepare
the way for the Lord[a];
make straight in the desert
a highway for our God.
Judah and Ephraim's judgment (Hosea 5) has not been completed (Jeremiah 30:11), and the judgment on the nations, also has not been completed, and will not be completed until after 2 days/2000 years (Hosea 6:2), at which time both Judah and Ephraim will "acknowledge their guilt" (Hosea 5:15).

showme
Sage

Post #10

Post by showme »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 4 by brianbbs67]
Funny how the last Gospel denied that?

20 He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, “I am not the Messiah.�

21 They asked him, “Then who are you? Are you Elijah?�

He said, “I am not.�

“Are you the Prophet?�

He answered, “No.�

22 Finally they said, “Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?�

23 John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, “I am the voice of one calling in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way for the Lord.’�[a]
Isaiah 40:…2“Speak tenderly to Jerusalem, and proclaim to her that her forced labor has been completed, her iniquity has been pardoned; for she has received from the hand of the LORD double for all her sins.� 3A voice of one calling: “Prepare the way for the LORD in the wilderness; make a straight highway for our God in the desert. 4Every valley shall be lifted up, and every mountain and hill made low; the uneven ground will become smooth, and the rugged land a plain.…

Jerusalem has yet to be punished double for her sins, and is yet to be "captured" by the "nations" per Zechariah 14:1-3, whereas that will be the prelude to Har-Magedon (Revelation 16:13-19) whereas "islands fled away", and "mountains were not found", the time of the "great earthquake" (Revelation 16:18) whereas "the cities of the nations fell" (Revelation 16:19).