The fundamental error of religion(s)...

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

bernee51
Site Supporter

The fundamental error of religion(s)...

Post #1

Post by bernee51 »

Since religion was invented the religious have made a fundamental error in conflating two very separate issues. The fact of our (i.e the universe) existence and doctines/beliefs/philosophies which provide some meaning and purpose for that existence.

Re. our existence. I observe the around me. I read and study. I contemplate and meditiate. I can see no viable alternative to the fact that we humans, like all other elements that make up the universe, come into existence, hang around for a few years and pass out of existence. (Actually the 'stuff' we are made out of is, in fact, immortal - we only appear to come and go)

Re: Meaning and purpose. It is natural for us self aware creatures to want to answer questions as to meaning and purpose. Since the sophistiocation of the nervous system evolved enough to allow this self awareness mankind has invented a variety of 'answers'. These started out as animistic beliefs and have evolved through various levels to arrive at the monotheism that emerged several thousand years ago. Even that has changed over time - from the violent, angry, jealous nature of Yahweh to the loving god who sent his 'only begotten son'.

As originally stated - the problem I have with religion is that it conflates these two issues.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj