YEC = Flat Earth

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

postroad
Prodigy

YEC = Flat Earth

Post #1

Post by postroad »

I'm thinking that the same textual method that YEC employ would necessarily bind them to the flat earth view.

Any YEC believers who are denying the flat earth? If so why believe on but not the other?

The Bible describes the heavens as the abodes of spiritual beings above the earth not around it.

It also describes that from with enough height things could be seen even to the "ends of the earth"

Daniel 4:10-11 New International Version (NIV)

10 These are the visions I saw while lying in bed: I looked, and there before me stood a tree in the middle of the land. Its height was enormous. 11 The tree grew large and strong and its top touched the sky; it was visible to the ends of the earth.

Matthew 4:8-9 New International Version (NIV)

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,� he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.�

Also the sun stood still as opposed to the earth stopped rotating.

Joshua 10:13
So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, till the nation avenged itself on its enemies, as it is written in the Book of Jashar. The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day.

amortalman
Site Supporter

Re: YEC = Flat Earth

Post #11

Post by amortalman »

Guy Threepwood wrote:
amortalman wrote: [Replying to post 7 by Guy Threepwood]

The few things you mentioned carry a small weight compared to the colossal absurdities that make up so much of the Bible.

If one wants to bring science into the Bible he might need to explain how a serpent and a donkey can speak perfect Hebrew (or whatever language was available in the Garden of Eden).
... between a donkey acquiring the power of speech by divine intervention.. and apes accidentally acquiring speech through copying errors in DNA..

my money's on the donkey! ;)
Evolution is no accident, it's just the way nature on this planet behaved. Bringing about an intelligent being with developed vocal cords through natural selection and gene mutation over a couple of million years is far more believable to me than that a god, for which there is absolutely no evidence for his existence, caused animals to talk, iron to float, the "sun" to stand still, and water to become very good wine.