Jesus is God

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Jesus is God

Post #1

Post by For_The_Kingdom »

First of all, I never knew that so many suspected "unbelievers" in the Christian religion were so fascinated about whether or not Jesus is God. If you don't believe in Jesus or God, then why do you care? It blows my mind.

Anyway..

I have a Biblically simplistic way of proving that Jesus is God..

Argument from Perfection: The Bible is clear, Jesus was/is without sin (morally perfect). The argument goes like this..

1. Only God is without sin
2. Jesus is without sin
3. Therefore, Jesus is God

#1 is virtually undisputed. #2 is Biblical based on two immediate Scriptures..

a. 2 Corin 5:21 "For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him".

b. Heb 4:15 "For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin".

Now, the idea is; if you replace Jesus' name in #2 with ANY other name in Heaven or on Earth, the proposition becomes false and the entire syllogism is false.

The conclusion is simple; in order to be God, you must be without sin..and to be without sin, you must be God. Jesus meets/met those requirements, therefore, Jesus is God.

Argument from John 14:1-9: Long story short, Jesus was constantly preaching/lecturing about "The Father this, The Father that"...until Philip finally said "Lord, show us the Father, and that will be good enough"...and Jesus said, "He who has seen me has seen the Father".

Jesus is saying that seeing him is the same has seeing the Father...but if the Father is on SUCH A HIGH PEDESTAL and is light years ahead of any other entity in Heaven or on Earth, how dare Jesus say "He who has seen me has seen the Father".

In other words, if the Father took on human form and made his dwelling among us on Earth, his form would be Jesus.

If the Father is God, and Jesus said to see him is to see the Father, then Jesus must also be God. This just follows logically.

Argument from Hebrews 1:3: "The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being.."

This is the same reasoning applied to Heb 4 (above). If God is the holiest of all holiest, how can any other being come close, must less be the "exact representation" of his being?

How can you be the "exact representation" of someone that is the epitome of holiness/righteousness...unless you yourself is also the epitome of holiness/righteousness?

Actually, you can sum up all three arguments as the "Argument from Perfection"..and of course, there are plenty of other "Trinity proof" Scriptures that I can throw in there, but I wanted to attack this from a different angel.

And lastly, as much as these arguments harmonize, they are all independent...so even if you manage to wiggle your way out of one...you still have to deal with the others.

Actually, there is no way out; Jesus is God, whether we like it or not.

:D

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Jesus is God

Post #211

Post by onewithhim »

onewithhim wrote:
For_The_Kingdom wrote: [Replying to post 188 by onewithhim]

Um, still not directly addressing what I said? Instead, just continue glossing over it. Until I get a response to what I said, I really don't have much else to say to you on this matter.
Please show me exactly how my organization SELECTIVELY APPLIES "proskyneo" to two separate individuals.

Thank you.
I see that FTK has made an accusation but then has not provided any example of the selectivity he has made a point about.

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #212

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #213

onewithhim wrote:
For_The_Kingdom wrote: [Replying to post 188 by onewithhim]

Um, still not directly addressing what I said? Instead, just continue glossing over it. Until I get a response to what I said, I really don't have much else to say to you on this matter.
Please show me exactly how my organization SELECTIVELY APPLIES "proskyneo" to two separate individuals.

Thank you.
I really don't see how my accusation in this regard is questionable, because like I said, when proskuneo is used in reference to Jesus, it is rendered as "obeisance".

But, when the same word (proskuneo) is used in reference to Jehovah, the NWT renders it as "worship".

Yet, the same word is used in both cases but rendered differently as it relates to two different individuals.

Just take Matt 14:33..

The NWT has.. 33 Then those in the boat did obeisance to him (Jesus), saying: “You really are God’s Son.�t

Yet, virtually all English translations renders this passage as, "then those in the boat worshiped him."

https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Matthew%2014:33

Why do all those other English translations render it this way? Because..

http://nltinterlinear.com/Matt.14:33/revinterlinear

What do we have here? WORSHIP.

And what is the word used? ProsekunEsan

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInte ... /mat14.pdf (as shown on page 6).

So, just as I said..the NWT is looking shaky, baby.

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #214

elijahpne wrote:
Your argument is flawed. Of course, we can easily prove from the Scriptures that God is without sin (Psalm 92:4 "my Rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him") and Jesus is without sin (1 Peter 2:22) but how can you prove from the Scriptures that, as you stated simplistically, "Only God is without sin."
Ok, so if there are angels that are also "without sin" as you seem to be implying below..then, Jesus could have been swapped 1/1 with any of the other "sinless" angels, then. Correct?

I mean, after all, all we need is one sinless being to die for our sins..and if that is the case, God could have chosen any other the other sinless to carry out the task, correct?

Just a simple yes/no would be fine here.
elijahpne wrote: 2 Peter 2:4 speaks of "angels that sinned" (KJV) indicating that there are angels that did not sin.
So, those angels that did not "sin"...if they have free will, doesn't it mean that they can freely choose to sin at any time, just the same as humans on Earth who have free will?
elijahpne wrote: All angels were created perfect, in effect sinless.
If it is possible for the milk to spoil, then the milk was never "perfect" in the first place.
elijahpne wrote: Even Adam and Eve were created perfect.
Scripture does not say this. Gen 1:31 states..

"31 God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day."

And verse 31 was stated after the entirety of all creation has taken place, mankind included. It states that the entire creation was "very good", doesn't say anything about perfect.

I don't see "perfect" in any of the other 50+ translations either.

https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Genesis%201:31

This is just more of the typical unBiblical JW theology.
elijahpne wrote: For why will God, whom Deuteronomy 32:4 refers to as "The Rock, his work is perfect" (KJV), create a thinking being anything less than perfect?
If milk can eventually spoil, is it "perfect" milk? Yes or no.
elijahpne wrote: Compared to God, Jesus even admitted his relatively inferior position. When called a "Good Teacher [or Master]" he replied that "none is good, save one, that is, God" (Luke 18:8, 9 KJV). Of course, not that Jesus is not good (he is without sin, remember) but in relative terms - that is, compared to God - his goodness pales into insignificance.
Not so fast there. Please explain; if Jesus is without sin, and God is without sin, how is God any "better" than Jesus? You talk about pales into insignificance, yet they are both without sin. So how is one more significant than the other?

Hmm.
elijahpne wrote: Be careful with your "simplistic way" of proving a point - it will lead you stray as it did in this instance.
But it didn't, though.

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #215

shnarkle wrote: [Replying to post 1 by For_The_Kingdom]

Re:
1. Only God is without sin
This is false. All the angelic host of heaven that didn't rebel, are without sin.
You cannot have "free will" and not be without sin..because eventually, you will make a bad decision. Obviously, that is what separates us (angels included) from God. We will eventually make bad decisions, while God will NEVER make a bad decision.

Angels are not excluded from this. Now, I am in no way saying that I know of any "atonement" arrangements that God has/had with the angels. But clearly, angels can sin...and there is nothing to lead me to believe that if angels have free will, that they are incapable of committing sin.
shnarkle wrote: The "new creature in Christ" is also without sin, and neither of these are God.
Yet, Paul said we all sin and fall short of the glory of God. (Rom 3:23).
shnarkle wrote:
a. 2 Corin 5:21 "For He made Him...
Who made who? God made him, and God is not a work of creation.
Sure, and Matt 27:24-26 implies that Pilate "made" Jesus to be a victim of an unjustified execution. But "made" in this context has nothing to do with creation in either case.
shnarkle wrote:
Paul clarifies by pointing out that Christ is "the image of the invisible God". The word he uses for "image" in the Greek is "eikon" which should never be confused with "idol". An icon is a representation while an idol is worshipped as the god itself.
Obviously, Christ is the visible image of the invisible God, which harmonizes with the Word becoming flesh (visible, physical) and making his dwelling among us...as John 1:14 clearly states.
shnarkle wrote: The Father didn't take on human form. The "word" took human form, and the word is distinguished from God.
I said "if", didn't I? It is certainly within the power of God to take the form of a human if he chooses to do so, and I am saying, along with Scripture, that if the Father chose to do so, he would be the PERSON of Jesus.

Which is why Jesus said "If you seen me, you seen the Father".
shnarkle wrote: Paul also does the same thing in 1.Corinthians 8:6 where he explicitly distinguishes the father as God from Christ. The father is the source of all that exists while Christ is the means by which everything exists.
But no one is saying that the Father/Son are the same person, so to attack a position not held is a straw man.
shnarkle wrote:
If the Father is God, and Jesus said to see him is to see the Father, then Jesus must also be God. This just follows logically.
No, it doesn't. Again, the image is not what it reflects. It is the reflection of what is reflected. Christ is the image of God, and while the image is all that exists, it is still the image.
Actually, it does. It was being suggested to Jesus that he SHOW them the Father..and Jesus said that if you see him, you see the Father.

In other words, why do you need to see the Father, who is God, when you have "God" right in in front of you.

That only makes sense, considering the fact that the answer that Jesus gave Philip (who made the suggestion) would have been insufficient, based upon the obvious fact that Jesus isn't the Father and thus seeing him would not be "good enough", if Philip was asking for the Father and simply got a "image" of the Father instead of the Father himself.
shnarkle wrote:
Because we're dealing with a "representation" rather than who is represented. If God shows up, then God needs no representative in the first place.
Um, we are all "supposed" to be presentations of God/Christ...but no one is going around saying that they are the "perfect" or "exact" representation of God/Christ...as what the Bible clearly stated that Jesus is.

That may be what we strive to be, but that ain't who we are. However, that ain't what Jesus strove to be, that is what Jesus is.
shnarkle wrote: The righteousness of God is God's righteousness, but what is God's is not God himself. God's glory is not God himself, but God's glory. God's image is not God, it is God's image.
?
shnarkle wrote: The introduction to John's gospel does not begin with "in the beginning was God" because the word "God" has no referent in the created world. The meaning of the word is synonymous with transcendence. The only other alternative is the ideas we come up with to associate with the word.

For anything to exist, requires existence. God is the origin of existence, therefore God cannot exist without ceasing to be the origin of existence. The problem is that the origin of existence or being cannot logically exist.
I see what you are trying to say...but there is no "origin" of existence. Existence is absolutely positively necessary, and with that necessity is God.

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #216

marco wrote:
For_The_Kingdom wrote:

The only "truth" I will accept with no questions asked is from Jesus. Everyone else's word is taken with a grain of salt.
Unfortunately this plan is thwarted by the circumstance that Jesus wrote nothing down. We must accept what others have said about him. I wonder, for example, which witness gave us teh story about the Wedding Feast water becoming wine.
What's up, marco. I was basing that statement upon the premise that the Bible is true, which would mean that everything about Jesus (and what he said) is also true.

As far as the water-to-wine thing; which witness? I don't know, I will go out on a limb and say that it was one of the many witnesses that attended the wedding.

:D

tigger2
Sage

Post #217

Post by tigger2 »

[Replying to post 208 by For_The_Kingdom]

Strong's Concordance [Bible Hub]
proskuneó: to do reverence to
Original Word: π�οσκυνέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: proskuneó
Phonetic Spelling: (pros-koo-neh'-o)
Definition: to do reverence to
Usage: I go down on my knees to, do obeisance to, worship.

HELPS Word-studies
4352 proskyné� (from 4314/prós, "towards" and kyneo, "to kiss") – properly, to kiss the ground when prostrating before a superior; to worship, ready "to fall down/prostrate oneself to adore on one's knees" (DNTT); to "do obeisance" (BAGD).

1 Sam. 24:8. "Afterward David also arose, and went out of the cave, and called after Saul, “My lord the king!� And when Saul looked behind him, David bowed with his face to the earth, and did obeisance [shachah - Heb. text; proskuneo - Gr. text]." - RSV.

Matt. 14:33
ASV: footnote for 'worship' refers to Matt. 2:2 f.n. which says: "The Greek word denotes an act of reverence whether paid to a creature or ... to the Creator"
AT: And the men in the boat fell down before him and said, "You are certainly God's Son!"
CJB: The men in the boat fell down before him and exclaimed, “You really are God’s son!�
DARBY: But those in the ship came and did homage to him, saying, Truly thou art God's Son.
DRA: And they that were in the boat came and adored him, saying: Indeed thou art the Son of God.
GW:The men in the boat bowed down in front of Jesus and said, “You are truly the Son of God.�
JB: The men in the boat bowed down before him and said, "Truly, you are the Son of God!"
PHILLIPS: The whole crew came and knelt down before Jesus, crying, “You are indeed the Son of God!�
TLB: The others sat there, awestruck. “You really are the Son of God!� they exclaimed.
NAB: Those who were in the boat showed him reverence, declaring, "Beyond doubt you are the Son of God!"
NABRE: Those who were in the boat did him homage, saying, “Truly, you are the Son of God.�
NEB: And the men in the boat fell at his feet, exclaiming, 'Truly you are the Son of God.'
REB: And the men in the boat fell at his feet, exclaiming, 'You must be the Son of God.'
WE: Then the men in the boat bowed down in front of Jesus. They said, `You really are the Son of God.'
William Barclay's New Testament: And those in the boat knelt in reverence before him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."
YLT: and those in the boat having come, did bow to him, saying, `Truly -- God's Son art thou.'

shnarkle
Guru

Post #218

Post by shnarkle »

[Replying to post 210 by For_The_Kingdom]

You cannot have "free will" and not be without sin..because eventually, you will make a bad decision.
Correct. This is why it is impossible for salvation to be dependent upon one's free will. Free will has nothing to do with salvation. This is why Paul says, "not by will or effort" Rom.9:16.
Obviously, that is what separates us (angels included) from God.
The angelic host of heaven had a choice, and those who remained obedient to God will never sin. They effectively have no choice. It's what we call "a no brainer". They don't have to think about it.
We will eventually make bad decisions, while God will NEVER make a bad decision.
No, we will eventually never make bad decisions again, but only if God shows mercy upon us and chooses to regenerate our hearts.

Angels are not excluded from this.
Fallen angels have sinned, and continue to sin, but those who remain obedient will never sin.
Now, I am in no way saying that I know of any "atonement" arrangements that God has/had with the angels.
That's because there is no atonement for them. They await their judgement in chains.
But clearly, angels can sin...and there is nothing to lead me to believe that if angels have free will, that they are incapable of committing sin.
Only fallen angels can sin, and they are the only one's who are free to sin. The faithful angelic host of heaven cannot sin.

shnarkle wrote:

The "new creature in Christ" is also without sin, and neither of these are God.

Paul said we all sin and fall short of the glory of God. (Rom 3:23).
You're not rightly dividing the word. Pay attention to the context as well as the fact that while everyone is born in sin, those who are begotten in spirit cannot sin. This is why the curse of the law becomes redundant. There is no need to rely upon the sacrifice of Christ when one no longer sins anymore. Paul is clear: "Those who walk after the Spirit do NOT fulfill the lust of the flesh".

shnarkle wrote:

Quote:
a. 2 Corin 5:21 "For He made Him...

Who made who? God made him, and God is not a work of creation.
Matt 27:24-26 implies that Pilate "made" Jesus to be a victim of an unjustified execution. But "made" in this context has nothing to do with creation in either case.
A distinction with no effective difference. In both cases, it is clear who has the authority. Jesus even admits that Pilate's authority in condemning him is according to God's will.

shnarkle wrote:

Paul clarifies by pointing out that Christ is "the image of the invisible God". The word he uses for "image" in the Greek is "eikon" which should never be confused with "idol". An icon is a representation while an idol is worshipped as the god itself.
Christ is the visible image of the invisible God, which harmonizes with the Word becoming flesh (visible, physical) and making his dwelling among us...as John 1:14 clearly states.
And yet you aren't advancing your argument here. Nothing you just posted provides any evidence to refute the fact that an icon can never be what or who they represent. The word becomes flesh, not God.

shnarkle wrote:

The Father didn't take on human form. The "word" took human form, and the word is distinguished from God.

I said "if", didn't I?
So what? Your conditional statement has just been proven false.
It is certainly within the power of God to take the form of a human if he chooses to do so,
No, it isn't. God is the source of everything that exists, and the source cannot remain the source if it exists as anything in the created world.
and I am saying, along with Scripture, that if the Father chose to do so, he would be the PERSON of Jesus.
No, you are contradicting scripture. You are basing these assertions solely on your own baseless assumptions.
Which is why Jesus said "If you seen me, you seen the Father".
Just like looking into a mirror, but that doesn't make what is reflected a mirror, does it? The image is what is reflected, and the image can only be reflected by the mirror. Without the mirror, there is no reflection to begin with. See the problem with your assertions yet? This is why the authors use the word "image" or "eikon", rather than "idol".

shnarkle wrote:

Paul also does the same thing in 1.Corinthians 8:6 where he explicitly distinguishes the father as God from Christ. The father is the source of all that exists while Christ is the means by which everything exists.

But no one is saying that the Father/Son are the same person, so to attack a position not held is a straw man.
I'm not claiming that the father is the son. I'm pointing out that Paul explicitly states that the father is God. Nowhere does he ever claim that the Christ is God. What he does is to distinguish the two and only the Father is God.
shnarkle wrote:

Quote:

No, it doesn't. Again, the image is not what it reflects. It is the reflection of what is reflected. Christ is the image of God, and while the image is all that exists, it is still the image.

Actually, it does. It was being suggested to Jesus that he SHOW them the Father..and Jesus said that if you see him, you see the Father.
You're ignoring what I posted. The father cannot be seen except through the son. This doesn't make the son God. That is a non sequitur. Again, using the descriptive terminology employed by the authors themselve, it should become evident that what is seen is the "image" rather than what the image represents. The image cannot represent anything because "all things are created". God is not a "what" or a "thing". God cannot be classified. You're assuming that God can be seen in the first place, and that is impossible. We even have a commandment forbidding you from imagining what God looks like.
In other words, why do you need to see the Father, who is God, when you have "God" right in in front of you.
Sorry, you're still resorting to the fallacy of the non sequitur. You're also begging the question. You're assuming that Christ is God as proof that Christ is God. Again, I've used scripture to refute these false assumptions. You're not advancing an argument.

considering the fact that the answer that Jesus gave Philip (who made the suggestion) would have been insufficient, based upon the obvious fact that Jesus isn't the Father and thus seeing him would not be "good enough", if Philip was asking for the Father and simply got a "image" of the Father instead of the Father himself.
This is incoherent, and wihtout anything to support it.

shnarkle wrote:

Because we're dealing with a "representation" rather than who is represented. If God shows up, then God needs no representative in the first place.

Um, we are all "supposed" to be presentations of God/Christ...but no one is going around saying that they are the "perfect" or "exact" representation of God/Christ...as what the Bible clearly stated that Jesus is.
We're all called to perfection. You're making my points for me. Adam was created in the image of God, and he wasn't God either. We're all created as icons of God, and we're not God either.
That may be what we strive to be, but that ain't who we are.
Those who strive will fail. To strive is to place oneself into the Old Covenant, and that makes you who you are, which is a failure. When you are redeemed and reborn, then your identity is lost in Christ. Perfection is attained in, with, and through Christ.

shnarkle wrote:

The righteousness of God is God's righteousness, but what is God's is not God himself. God's glory is not God himself, but God's glory. God's image is not God, it is God's image.

?
The Genitive of Possession cannot be the verb to be. You cannot be what you have. If you have a body, you cannot be a body. If you are a body, then you cannot have a body. If God has righteousness, then it is his righteousness. He is not righteousness. Christ is the righteouesness of the father. The rightousness may originate in the father, but that once again only spotlights where it originates. Christ manifests God's righteousness, but that doesn't negate the fact that it is God's, and what is God's cannot be God without redefining what can never be defined in the first place.
shnarkle wrote:

The introduction to John's gospel does not begin with "in the beginning was God" because the word "God" has no referent in the created world. The meaning of the word is synonymous with transcendence. The only other alternative is the ideas we come up with to associate with the word.

For anything to exist, requires existence. God is the origin of existence, therefore God cannot exist without ceasing to be the origin of existence. The problem is that the origin of existence or being cannot logically exist.

I see what you are trying to say...
No, you don't.
...but there is no "origin" of existence.
Yes, there is. Paul is quite clear in pointing out that God is the origin of everything that exists, and nothing can exist without existence or being.
Existence is absolutely positively necessary,
So true! And yet, you are still ignoring what Paul explicitly points out which is that Christ is eternal, and yet his origin is in the father.
and with that necessity is God.
No, that necessitates Christ, and God as the origin, which is exactly what Paul is pointing out in 1 Corinthians 8:6

polonius
Prodigy

When did Jesus become divine?

Post #219

Post by polonius »

Following Jesus' death is about 32 AD, the Jewish-Christians remained and worshipped as orthodox Jews in the Temple. (See Acts). They believed that Jesus was the Messiah (who was always just a man, never God).

About 82 AD, the Jewish-Christian's believe system changed, and Jesus was claimed to be divine himself. This resulted in the Christians being labeled apostates and excluded from the Jewish synagogues (See John's gospel).

What caused this change and what evidence did the Christians have? Or was it just stories in the early gospels.?

polonius
Prodigy

Re: When did Jesus become divine?

Post #220

Post by polonius »

polonius wrote: Following Jesus' death is about 32 AD, the Jewish-Christians remained and worshipped as orthodox Jews in the Temple. (See Acts). They believed that Jesus was the Messiah (who was always just a man, never God).

About 82 AD, the Jewish-Christian's believe system changed, and Jesus was claimed to be divine himself. This resulted in the Christians being labeled apostates and excluded from the Jewish synagogues (See John's gospel).

What caused this change and what evidence did the Christians have? Or was it just the stories in the early gospels.?