Incorrect belief.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

postroad
Prodigy

Incorrect belief.

Post #1

Post by postroad »

Some would say not believing in Jesus is an incorrect belief leading to damnation. But what about beliefs based on incorrect doctrines. Do they need to be repented from as a sin leading to damnation?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: Incorrect belief.

Post #31

Post by PinSeeker »

There were not two covenants. Maybe the best say to say it is, there were a series of new covenants -- each one new and better compared to the one previous -- which were cumulative and progressively better and fuller expressions of the one everlasting Covenant. And the Final Iteration of the everlasting Covenant was/is Jesus. Here you go:

Covenant of Life (with Adam, and then Noah)... Christ Jesus is the way, the truth and the life

Covenant of Land, Decendants (with Abraham)... We are co-heirs with Christ of the Kingdom of God, which is ultimately the whole earth; All who are in Christ, who will number as the stars of the heavens, make up God's Israel (regardless of ethnicity)

Covenant of the Law (with Moses)... "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes." (Romans 10:4)

Covenant of a forever King of Israel (with David)... "There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, On the throne of David and over his kingdom, To establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness From then on and forevermore." (Isaiah 9:7); Christ is the King of kings, the Lord of Lords (Revelation 17:14, 19:16)

A good visual is to think of a flower seed, planted and then sprouting and growing through all the lesser covenants, finally blossoming into the perfect Rose... Christ Jesus.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #32

Post by myth-one.com »

The sixty-six books of the Bible are divided into two sections called the Old and New Testaments. These testaments contain wills or covenants between God and man.

There are two testaments because no one could qualify as an heir under the first covenant. When the second testament was established the first became the Old Testament and the second became the New Testament.

The goal, reward, or inheritance which is received by humans who qualify as heirs under terms of the testaments is eternal life. Those who do not qualify will perish. Eternal life is presented throughout the Bible as a future gift or reward, and never as something mankind presently possesses. Jesus is bringing our reward with Him upon His return to the earth:
Behold, the Lord God will come with strong hand, and his arm shall rule for him: behold, his reward is with him. (Isaiah 40:10)

Behold, thy salvation cometh; behold, his reward is with him... (Isaiah 62:11)

And behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me... (Revelation 22:12)
The only way one could become an heir to eternal life under the first covenant was to never sin. However, there was a fault in the first testament in that all mankind ever born had sinned!

Since the first covenant contained faults, God created a second or New Testament:
But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. (Hebrews 8:6-7)
Hebrews 9:15-17 wrote:And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance. For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
A testator is a person who makes a will. "A testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth." Therefore, the New Testament became effective and the Old Testament vanished away as a will when Jesus Christ died on the cross.

Once the New Testament became the active will, no one could gain eternal life by remaining sinless as required under the Old Testament.
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. (John 3:36)
And the creation of mankind and the New Testament Covenant were both tweaks to original plans -- and both can be called "Plan Bs" as you put it.
myth-one.com wrote:There will never be any people or folks in "heaven."
PinSeeker wrote:You mean heaven will be empty???
No, I mean there will be no humans there as "flesh and blood" cannot inherit the Kingdom of Heaven.

There are two type of living bodies -- natural and spiritual:
There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. (I Corinthians 15:44)
Natural bodied beings live in the natural world.

Mankind must be born again of the Spirit to inherit the spiritual Kingdom of God:
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. (John 3:6)

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. (John 3:5-7)

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by PinSeeker »

The only division between the Old Testament and New Testament is that Jesus came visibly and ushered in the beginning of the Kingdom of God and the Gospel became just as accessible to the Gentiles as to ethnic Jews. It is a continuation of God's story of redemption.

The first covenant made with man was a covenant of works, wherein life was promised to Adam; and in him to his posterity, upon condition of perfect and personal obedience. Man, by his fall, having made himself uncapable of life by that covenant, the Lord was pleased to make a second, commonly called the covenant of grace; wherein he freely offers unto sinners life and salvation by Jesus Christ; requiring of them faith in him, that they may be saved, and promising to give unto all those that are ordained unto eternal life his Holy Spirit, to make them willing, and able to believe. This covenant of grace is frequently set forth in Scripture by the name of a testament, in reference to the death of Jesus Christ the Testator, and to the everlasting inheritance, with all things belonging to it, therein bequeathed. This covenant was differently administered in the time of the law, and in the time of the gospel -- this is the only difference between the Old and New Testaments.

Under the law, it was administered by promises, prophecies, sacrifices, circumcision, the paschal lamb, and other types and ordinances delivered to the people of the Jews, all foresignifying Christ to come; which were, for that time, sufficient and efficacious, through the operation of the Spirit, to instruct and build up the elect in faith in the promised Messiah, by whom they had full remission of sins, and eternal salvation; and is called the Old Testament.

Under the gospel, when Christ, the substance, was exhibited, the ordinances in which this covenant is dispensed are the preaching of the Word, and the administration of the sacraments of baptism and the Lord’s Supper: which, though fewer in number, and administered with more simplicity, and less outward glory, yet, in them, it is held forth in more fullness, evidence, and spiritual efficacy, to all nations, both Jews and Gentiles; and is called the New Testament.

There are not therefore two covenants of grace, differing in substance, but one and the same, under various dispensations. All believers since Adam's Fall are saved exactly the same way, by faith (Hebrews 11).

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #34

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote:All believers since Adam's Fall are saved exactly the same way, by faith (Hebrews 11).
What did "believers" between the fall of Adam and the death of Jesus believe in for their salvation?

=============================================

Under the New Testament man came under grace and not the law.

Good works earned one salvation under the Old Testament. That is, if a person never violated any of God's laws, he gained eternal life.

After Jesus died for us, we fell under the grace of Jesus Christ for our salvation, not our works to fulfill the law. So sin does not control our salvation:
For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. (Romans 6:14)
We must now believe in Jesus Christ to inherit eternal life. Upon creating a New Testament, the first covenant became the Old Testament:
In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. (Hebrews 8:13)
There was a first covenant and a new covenant in regarding mankind's path to salvation.

One plus one equals two.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #35

Post by PinSeeker »

My apologies for the length of this:
myth-one.com wrote:What did "believers" between the fall of Adam and the death of Jesus believe in for their salvation?
Many people falsely assume that only New Testament believers are saved by grace whereas Old Testament believers were saved by their obedience to the law of Moses and not by grace. The truth is that both the Old and New Testaments clearly teach that everyone who is saved, throughout all history, is saved the same way: by grace, through faith, on account of Christ alone.
In fact, the New Testament writers argue their case largely by appealing to the Old Testament Scriptures themselves. First, after spending the bulk of three chapters to prove that both Jews and Gentiles are unrighteous, quoting extensively from the Old Testament (Rom. 1-3), the apostle Paul concludes that no one will be declared righteous by observing the law (Rom. 3:20).

Furthermore, Paul points to Abraham, the father of the Jews who lived long before Moses, as his prime test case to prove that salvation comes through faith apart from works that we perform. Paul writes, "If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about--but not before God. What does the Scripture say? 'Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness' " (Rom. 4:2-3; cf. Gen. 15:6; Gal. 3:6-9).

Finally, Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of all the symbols and predictions of the Old Testament (Luke 24:44; Rom. 3:21-22; Heb. 1:1-3). For example, the Jews celebrated the Passover every year to keep them focused on the One who was to come to die for their sins. As the book of Hebrews says, "The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming--not the realities themselves. Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when this priest [Christ] had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy" (Heb. 10:1, 11-12, 14).

Jesus Christ stands at the apex of history. Just as we look back in history to Christ's sacrifice for our sins on the cross, Old Testament believers looked forward to His sacrifice for them.
myth-one.com wrote:Under the New Testament man came under grace and not the law.
Well, all believers in New Testament times did and do, that's correct. But all unbelievers in New Testament times were and are still under the law. And the same is true in Old Testament times, though; after Adam's fall in Genesis 3, all believers in Old Testament times were saved the same way; by faith. See above.
myth-one.com wrote:Good works earned one salvation under the Old Testament.
Absolutely not. Good works were the natural outflow of having been saved, that salvation having come by grace. Again, Paul writes:
  • "If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about -- but not before God. What does the Scripture say? 'Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness' " (Rom. 4:2-3; cf. Gen. 15:6; Gal. 3:6-9).
Paul also tells us that saving faith is itself a gift of God and not a work:
  • "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them" (Ephesians 2:8-10).

And, as James affirms that works are the natural outflow -- result -- of saving faith:
  • "What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? ...faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself." (James 2:14-17).

And this all echoes the prophet Ezekiel, who gives us a beautiful picture of salvation as relevant for us in New Testament times as it was for those in Old Testament times:
  • "For I will take you from the nations, gather you from all the lands and bring you into your own land. Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances. You will live in the land that I gave to your forefathers; so you will be My people, and I will be your God." (Ezekiel 36:24-28)
  • "The hand of the LORD was upon me, and He brought me out by the Spirit of the LORD and set me down in the middle of the valley; and it was full of bones. He caused me to pass among them round about, and behold, there were very many on the surface of the valley; and lo, they were very dry. He said to me, “Son of man, can these bones live?â€� And I answered, “O Lord GOD, You know.â€� Again He said to me, “Prophesy over these bones and say to them, ‘O dry bones, hear the word of the LORD.’ Thus says the Lord GOD to these bones, ‘Behold, I will cause breath to enter you that you may come to life. I will put sinews on you, make flesh grow back on you, cover you with skin and put breath in you that you may come alive; and you will know that I am the LORD.’â€� So I prophesied as I was commanded; and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold, a rattling; and the bones came together, bone to its bone. And I looked, and behold, sinews were on them, and flesh grew and skin covered them; but there was no breath in them. Then He said to me, “Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD, “Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they come to life.â€�’â€� So I prophesied as He commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they came to life and stood on their feet, an exceedingly great army. Then He said to me, “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel; behold, they say, ‘Our bones are dried up and our hope has perished. We are completely cut off.’ Therefore prophesy and say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD, “Behold, I will open your graves and cause you to come up out of your graves, My people; and I will bring you into the land of Israel. Then you will know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves and caused you to come up out of your graves, My people. I will put My Spirit within you and you will come to life, and I will place you on your own land. Then you will know that I, the LORD, have spoken and done it,â€� declares the LORD.’â€� (Ezekiel 37:1-14)
myth-one.com wrote:That is, if a person never violated any of God's laws, he gained eternal life.
That's true, but it was impossible for believers in Old Testament times -- just as it was/is impossible for believers in New Testament times -- to keep the Law perfectly. We all needed/need someone -- Someone (a Savior, God Himself in the Person of Jesus) -- to do that for us on our behalf, so that then God can then extend His grace to His elect, call them by His Spirit, justify them (once and for all), sanctify them (progressively throughout their lifetime), and ultimately glorify them (when they pass from this world into the next). This is the order of salvation as clearly spelled out by Paul in Romans 8.
myth-one.com wrote:After Jesus died for us, we fell under the grace of Jesus Christ for our salvation, not our works to fulfill the law.
Agreed, but it works the same way for Old Testament believers. See above.
myth-one.com wrote:We must now believe in Jesus Christ to inherit eternal life.
Well, we are called to repent and believe, for sure, but so were believers in Old Testament times. Again, see above.
myth-one.com wrote:Upon creating a New Testament, the first covenant became the Old Testament...
The New Testament is a continuation of God's story of redemption. Redemption and salvation are not different in the Old Testament and the New. The Covenant of Grace is the same in Old Testament times as it is in the New Testament. There is one page you can rip out of your Bible, and that is the blank only contains the title, "The New Testament." :)
myth-one.com wrote:In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. (Hebrews 8:13)
Yes, it's becoming obsolete and is ready to vanish away; it's old in that respect. In other words, it's still with us (the Covenant of Works), but we, as believers, are not under this Covenant of Works, but rather the Covenant of Grace. But yet again, the same was true for Old Testament believers. A great part of the Bible to see this in action is Leviticus, which has been called "The ABCs of Redemption." The Israelites were required to sacrifice a lamb without blemish or defect -- continually, because then it was just an animal, only signifying the true Lamb of God Who at that point was still to come. And Leviticus 16 is particularly striking, wherein we see the Law of Atonement, which then was signified as having been fulfilled through the slaughter of the goat of the sin offering for all the assembly of Israel (15-17). This is all representative of Jesus and the Atonement that only He, the true Lamb without blemish or defect, is able and worthy to make. In this way -- in types and shadows -- the Old Testament believers knew Jesus. Jesus Himself confirms this in John 5:46 -- "For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me" -- in essence saying that every bit of Scripture is about Him. And we see it again, albeit indirectly, in Luke 24:27, when Luke explains that, "beginning with Moses and with all the prophets,,," -- the entire Old Testament, which at that time was all of Scripture -- "...He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures."
myth-one.com wrote:There was a first covenant and a new covenant in regarding mankind's path to salvation.
Well, that's correct, but not in the way you are propagating it. The difference is works versus grace -- which I think you agree with -- but both have been in effect since Adam's Fall in the third chapter of Genesis. As believers, from Adam forward, we were all and are all under the Covenant of Grace -- which was expressed in imperfect ways from that point forward, until Jesus, the Final and perfect expression... and guarantee, Who always was and forever will be the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12).

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #36

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote:Many people falsely assume that only New Testament believers are saved by grace whereas Old Testament believers were saved by their obedience to the law of Moses and not by grace.
What is an "Old Testament believer"?

Whom did they believe in?
PinSeeker wrote:The truth is that both the Old and New Testaments clearly teach that everyone who is saved, throughout all history, is saved the same way: by grace, through faith, on account of Christ alone.
That plan of salvation due to believing in Jesus has only existed for about the last 2000 years.

There were some God fearing people who lived during Old Testament times, but they all sinned.

Since Jesus had not as yet died for their sins, what happened to Noah, Moses, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Job, Solomon, David, and others?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #37

Post by PinSeeker »

You can read it for yourself, of course, but I'll just quote the writer of Hebrews (chapter 11) here:
  • By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible.

By faith Abel offered to God a better sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained the testimony that he was righteous, God testifying about his gifts, and through faith, though he is dead, he still speaks.

By faith Enoch was taken up so that he would not see death; AND HE WAS NOT FOUND BECAUSE GOD TOOK HIM UP; for he obtained the witness that before his being taken up he was pleasing to God.

And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

By faith Noah, being warned by God about things not yet seen, in reverence prepared an ark for the salvation of his household, by which he condemned the world, and became an heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.

By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed by going out to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he lived as an alien in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, fellow heirs of the same promise; for he was looking for the city which has foundations, whose architect and builder is God.

By faith even Sarah herself received ability to conceive, even beyond the proper time of life, since she considered Him faithful who had promised.

Therefore there was born even of one man, and him as good as dead at that, as many descendants AS THE STARS OF HEAVEN IN NUMBER, AND INNUMERABLE AS THE SAND WHICH IS BY THE SEASHORE.

All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own. And indeed if they had been thinking of that country from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them.

By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was offering up his only begotten son; it was he to whom it was said, “IN ISAAC YOUR DESCENDANTS SHALL BE CALLED.� He considered that God is able to raise people even from the dead, from which he also received him back as a type.

By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau, even regarding things to come.

By faith Jacob, as he was dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, and worshiped, leaning on the top of his staff.

By faith Joseph, when he was dying, made mention of the exodus of the sons of Israel, and gave orders concerning his bones.

By faith Moses, when he was born, was hidden for three months by his parents, because they saw he was a beautiful child; and they were not afraid of the king’s edict. By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, choosing rather to endure ill-treatment with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin, considering the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt; for he was looking to the reward. By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king; for he endured, as seeing Him who is unseen. By faith he kept the Passover and the sprinkling of the blood, so that he who destroyed the firstborn would not touch them. By faith they passed through the Red Sea as though they were passing through dry land; and the Egyptians, when they attempted it, were drowned.

By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they had been encircled for seven days.

By faith Rahab the harlot did not perish along with those who were disobedient, after she had welcomed the spies in peace.

And what more shall I say? For time will fail me if I tell of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, of David and Samuel and the prophets, who by faith conquered kingdoms, performed acts of righteousness, obtained promises, shut the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, from weakness were made strong, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight. Women received back their dead by resurrection; and others were tortured, not accepting their release, so that they might obtain a better resurrection; and others experienced mockings and scourgings, yes, also chains and imprisonment. They were stoned, they were sawn in two, they were tempted, they were put to death with the sword; they went about in sheepskins, in goatskins, being destitute, afflicted, ill-treated (men of whom the world was not worthy), wandering in deserts and mountains and caves and holes in the ground. And all these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised, because God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us they would not be made perfect.
And I'll just reiterate what I said in my previous post:

Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of all the symbols and predictions of the Old Testament. Jesus Christ stands at the apex of history. Just as we look back in history to Christ's sacrifice for our sins on the cross, Old Testament believers looked forward to His sacrifice for them.
...what happened to Noah, Moses, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Job, Solomon, David, and others?
Noah: Jesus was/is the ark that carried him through the storm.

Abraham and Isaac: Jesus was the ram in the thicket.

Moses and the Israelites: Jesus was the manna from heaven.

Jacob: Joseph was a type of Christ Himself, who was sent ahead to Egypt so that he could save Jacob -- Israel -- from the famine.

The list goes on and on and on.

And as you know, the Old Testament is filled with the prophecies of the Christ, from Genesis 3:15 on. They were all saved the same way we are today. By faith, because of Jesus's atonement on the cross, backward and forward in time. Remember, God is outside of time. He is the Great I AM. The plan of salvation was the same before the cross as it is after.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #38

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote: The plan of salvation was the same before the cross as it is after.
Wrong!!

The New Testament became the active covenant or will and the Old Testament vanished away as a covenant when Jesus Christ, the testator, died on the cross!

The Old Testament has been superseded, and no one can now gain eternal life by being sinless.

That avenue has been closed! It never worked anyway.

The wages of sin are no longer necessarily death since someone else has paid the price for our sins. Man now has a choice.

Under the New Testament, the only way to gain eternal life is to believe in Jesus Christ as one's Savior.
PinSeeker wrote:All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, . . .
BINGO!

They died before the promise of the New Testament existed:
And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life. (I John 2:25)

brianbbs67
Guru

Post #39

Post by brianbbs67 »

[Replying to post 38 by myth-one.com]

Where does Christ teach any of that? If he had he would have been stoned early in his ministry. Sin is breaking the law of God. If their is no law of God, then there is no sin. Christ taught the law and prophets. And he said they would stand forever until all of them were accomplished. All prophecy is not accomplished. What was removed from us was the "curse of the law". The Handwriting of Ordinances against us, the punishment if we believe. Faith comes first and the rest follows thru study like in Acts 15:21 as told by Peter.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #40

Post by PinSeeker »

myth-one.com wrote:The New Testament became the active covenant or will and the Old Testament vanished away as a covenant when Jesus Christ, the testator, died on the cross!
Sorry, that's incorrect. But you're welcome to your opinion.
myth-one.com wrote:The Old Testament has been superseded, and no one can now gain eternal life by being sinless. That avenue has been closed! It never worked anyway.
No, a person can still gain eternal life by being sinless, it's just impossible for any person to remain sinless (this was true in Old Testament times, too). You remember Jesus's conversation with the rich young ruler, right? In answer to his question, "What must I do to inherit eternal life?", Jesus did in fact tell the young man that all he had to do was keep the commandments. This is in Mark 1, right? The New Testament.
myth-one.com wrote:The wages of sin are no longer necessarily death since someone else has paid the price for our sins.
The wages of sin are still death, but you're right, we have a Savior who paid those wages on our behalf. But again, Christ died just as much for believers in Old Testament times as those in New Testament times; His atonement was just as effectual for them as for us. His atonement was for all sin, past, present, and future. As Hebrews 10 says, "He, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, sat down at t he right hand of God, waiting from that time onward until his enemies be made a footstool for His feet. For by one offering He has perfected for all time those who are sanctified."
myth-one.com wrote:Man now has a choice.
Well, right, but man had a choice in Old Testament times, too; that was always true.
myth-one.com wrote:Under the New Testament, the only way to gain eternal life is to believe in Jesus Christ as one's Savior.
There is no difference between Old Testament times and New Testament times in this respect. The sin offerings made by the Israelites could never fully atone for anyone's sins. Rather, they were just pointing towards the True Sacrifice that was yet to come and their faith in God to provide that True Sacrifice -- just as Abraham had faith in Him to provide, first that he would have a son (Isaac, Genesis 21) and then a lamb for the burnt offering (the ram caught in the thicket instead of Isaac, Genesis 22).
myth-one.com wrote:
PinSeeker wrote:All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, . . .
They died before the promise of the New Testament existed:
And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life. (I John 2:25)
The promise of eternal life in Christ was always, from Genesis 3:15 on, the main Promise. The Promise was always that Christ would put to death all His enemies, and the last enemy to be put to death is death itself:
  • "For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive. But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ’s at His coming, then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power. For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet. The last enemy that will be abolished is death" (1 Corinthians 15:21-26).
And:
  • "...join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity, but now has been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel..." (2 Timothy 1:8-10)
Yeah, the Promise has always been the same.