WHY would anyone believe this in the 21st Century?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

WHY would anyone believe this in the 21st Century?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

"Conservative Christians claim Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a witch guided by demons and leading an attack against President Donald Trump.

"Frightened by a smart, articulate, attractive young woman, conservative Christians panic, worried that Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is really a witch leading a demonic attack against President Trump."

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressi ... GxUbmvqIsY

WHY would anyone believe (or even say) this in the 21st Century?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

RightReason
Under Probation

Re: WHY would anyone believe this in the 21st Century?

Post #11

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]
I am not part of some alt right Conservative Christian group, but what you are referring to has been reported on in mainstream media . . .

https://www.newsweek.com/witchcraft-wic ... on-1221019

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-m ... 2017-10-20

"the Los Angeles Times ran a commentary on May 23, 2017, in which writer Diana Wagman described how she had joined with "thousands of witches, believers and people like me all over the world" to cast a binding spell on President Donald Trump "under the waning crescent moon" in April last year.

"It was not meant to physically hurt him, only to keep him from succeeding at his tasks," explained Wagman. "I found an orange candle in a box of multicolored ones we use for our Hanukkah menorah. I printed the required tarot card off the Internet and propped it up. I cut an unflattering photo of POTUS out of the newspaper, and I burned it while chanting the words of the spell. ... I plan to complete the ritual again...."

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w- ... sbyterians

So, apparently those becoming involved in Wiccan is increasing and some seem to admit they in fact have spelled Trump. LOL! You can find crazy on all sides!

dio9
Under Probation

Post #12

Post by dio9 »

Zzyzx wrote: .
"Conservative Christians claim Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a witch guided by demons and leading an attack against President Donald Trump.

"Frightened by a smart, articulate, attractive young woman, conservative Christians panic, worried that Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is really a witch leading a demonic attack against President Trump."

I never heard that before , did you just make it up? Can you tell us where you got this ridiculous news? Is it fake news ?

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

dio9 wrote:

I never heard that before , did you just make it up? Can you tell us where you got this ridiculous news?

The link Zzyzx provided:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressi ... rvative-ch...

Should answer your question.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by ttruscott »

For the same reasons that they might believe this made up piece in the progressive secular humanist????
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

William
Savant

Post #15

Post by William »

[Replying to post 9 by JehovahsWitness]

A clear example of demonizing your opponents. In this case, literally.

Thanks for such a timely example J-Dub.

xx
Well there are many millions or billions of people that believe in the power of the occult.

That which is hidden will be revealed. I would say without a doubt that you yourself 'believe in the power of the occult' observing your own expressions of superstitious faith-based nonnegotiable beliefs.

When you are prohibited from making that which is hidden revealed, you simply attempt to describe a scene without ever actually going there to see and experience it for yourself.
No self responsibility even.
Your claims about what you 'believe' about the power of the occult can be dismissed for the superstitious faith-based nonnegotiable beliefs that they derive.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #16

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to Tcg]

fake news, good luck with that.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #17

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 13 by Tcg]

That'a your opinion. worthless , everyone has one.Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by ttruscott »

RightReason wrote:"the Los Angeles Times ran a commentary on May 23, 2017, in which writer Diana Wagman described how she had joined with "thousands of witches, believers and people like me all over the world" to cast a binding spell on President Donald Trump "under the waning crescent moon" in April last year.
Back in the 70s we had a witch in our home town that liked to get her 10 predictions for the coming year into the local paper every halloween. I took to keeping a copy of them and then a day before halloween sending them into the letter to the editor with the addition of whether each by each had been fulfilled or not. They printed my letters for 3 years running and no success in her predictions at all. Either she quit doing it or the paper dropped her as uninteresting.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Tcg
Savant

Post #19

Post by Tcg »

dio9 wrote: [Replying to post 13 by Tcg]

That'a your opinion. worthless , everyone has one.Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

You asked this:

Can you tell us where you got this ridiculous news?

I directed you to the link Zzyzx included with his OP which answers your question.

I expressed no opinion at all so I'm not sure what you are claiming is worthless.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #20

Post by Wootah »

People believe many falacious arguments and use them on this message board regularly.

For instance you are using the appeal to motive fallacy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_motive

No Christian is frightened by smart articulate young women (except of course if they are scared to ask a girl like that out). I value you too much to believe you read that article and honestly believe it.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."