The Kingdom of God is meant to be of this world.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

dio9
Under Probation

Post #1

Post by dio9 »

The crisis in Christianity is ; Christians don't believe the Kingdom of God is meant to be of this world.
Agree or disagree.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Absolutely. It's one of the main ways Christianity is currently rebelling against their God. They are supposed to be making a "kingdom" on earth built on spiritual concepts of kindness and love that surpass selfish motive. It's an extremely tough request which extremely few people even attempt, but it comes with the "promise" that God will be with us if we do so. He'll heal our sick, protect us, and even prevent death. I tried it though. I don't believe the promise so I'm not sure it's worth living that way. If someone could prove that it's beneficial and a community was actually doing it, I'd absolutely join up :-).
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

The Tanager
Savant

Re: The Kingdom of God is meant to be of this world.

Post #3

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to post 1 by dio9]

Could you explain more what you mean by it being "of this world". That phrase could encompass various understandings.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

dio9 wrote: The crisis in Christianity is ; Christians don't believe the Kingdom of God is meant to be of this world.
Agree or disagree.

Perhaps their opinion is based on Jesus' failure. He proclaimed the Kingdom of God was at hand, but 2,000 years later, it is nowhere to be found.

What could they do but assert it isn't meant to be of this world. If they admitted it was, they'd have to admit Jesus failed.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

dio9 wrote: The crisis in Christianity is ; Christians don't believe the Kingdom of God is meant to be of this world.

JOHN 18:36

Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. - ESV
The Kingdom of God is meant to be of this world: Agree or disagree.

I disagree because Jesus said the exact opposite (see John 18:36 above)
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

The Tanager
Savant

Post #6

Post by The Tanager »

JehovahsWitness wrote:

JOHN 18:36

Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. - ESV
The Kingdom of God is meant to be of this world: Agree or disagree.

I disagree because Jesus said the exact opposite (see John 18:36 above)
That is not all of verse 36. It (ESV) reads "Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.� It seems to me that this context points to Jesus meaning that his kingdom doesn't work like human kingdoms, where they fight for power and control over others, while Jesus' kingdom is about witnessing to truth (v. 37) even if that leads to his death. This passage, then, does not seem to me to address the issue dio9 brings up.

I view Jesus' kingdom as both now and later. It is the inbreaking of God ruling in individuals' hearts that is meant to both create a better life on earth for all as well as extend beyond that into eternity.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 6 by The Tanager]

So do you think when Jesus said "My kingdom is not of this world" to basically mean "My kingdom is of this world"?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1 by dio9]
Agree or disagree.
The way I read it in relation to other words attributed to Jesus, is that 'the way of this world' is what he refers to - in relation to how the world governs the people through what I call "Systems of Disparity" whereas the 'Kingdom" Jesus gave us a glimpse of the blueprints is along the lines of a System of Parity. = All things being equal.

It appears the charge to his followers was that they were to build this Kingdom through the message being activated through their behavior, but those who despise such a system will do all within their power to make sure that it never occurs.

So inasmuch as the message appears to have got so distorted that something called "Christianity" evolved through the clever manipulative program that those who despise a system of Parity Jesus spoke of as "The Kingdom" ("The kingdom comes as the will to build it is done ON EARTH") created to slowly and surely lead the followers to abandon the idea of creating said Kingdom, in favor of continuing to support the systems of disparity which resist that Kingdom Of GOD.

Christianity generally teaches subservience to their systems of disparity while also getting its follows focusing upon 'the hope in heaven' where 'GOD will right the wrong' - with the added morsel of hope that "Jesus will someday return and fix all our problems himself and remove those wicked leaders who control through disparity", which effectively dis-empowers folk from even thinking about building GODs Kingdom on the actual Earth, let along banding together to do so.

Christianity is the very device which prevents that from happening. One of the many of course, but numbered among those who actively prevent humans from building the much needed System of Parity.

The Tanager
Savant

Post #9

Post by The Tanager »

[Replying to post 7 by JehovahsWitness]

I think there are different senses of a kingdom being "of this world" so it depends on what sense is being talked about. I don't think Jesus' kingdom has a human origin and so, in that sense, is not "of this world". I don't think Jesus' kingdom works like human kingdoms and so, in that sense, is not "of this world". Jesus prayed and taught his disciples to pray that God's will would be done on earth as it is in heaven and so, in that sense, is "of this world". I do not think Jesus was addressing that sense in John 18:36 when he said his kingdom is "not of this world".

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by PinSeeker »

The Tanager wrote:I view Jesus' kingdom as both now and later. It is the inbreaking of God ruling in individuals' hearts that is meant to both create a better life on earth for all as well as extend beyond that into eternity.
Absolutely agree. Now in part (and growing), but in full later (when He returns). Nice, Tanager!