Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Morality without Bible Doctrine

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Jillette Penn said famously:
The question I get asked by religious people all the time is, without God, what’s to stop me from raping all I want? And my answer is: I do rape all I want. And the amount I want is zero. And I do murder all I want, and the amount I want is zero.
Without a guiding book from God, he still wants zero.

I propose we ask the priests and rabbi of the people who follow the morality of the Bible a similar question.
The Bible has no exclusions for the rape of children, or pedophilia.

It is safe to say I think, that the majority of humanity believes pedophilia is wrong. Yet the problem of religious folks, particularly religious leaders, being pedophiles seems to be a characteristic stain.

It appears that when asked why, without God, what’s to stop the religious community from raping all the children it wants? It can answer: We do rape all I want. And the amount I want is as many as I can. We do rape all the children we want, and even incredible controversy and scrutiny doesn't stop them. It is a taint on the religions for centuries.

Examining the Bible for flaws, we find that bacon is a sin, mixed fabrics are a sin, ripped clothes are a sin, and many other seemingly innocent things are a sin: So we know great consideration has gone into it.

But God in his infinite wisdom forgot to make a Commandment against pedophilia. No sin is mentioned anywhere else.

It is an incredible loophole in Judeo-Christianity, one that seems to be exploited by those who do not have a natural human instinct to forbear.

So the balance of the question is: Why in Abrahamic doctrine and dogma, is the behaviour not proscribed, or is it actually allowed by this all-benevolent God?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Morality without Bible Doctrine

Post #21

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Filthy Tugboat wrote: But yes, I do believe that soldiers were given ... privileges of rape ....

Well I'm not here to debate your beliefs, and cannot say I am interested in them, do you have any supporting biblical* evidence?

* Post biblical traditions (Talmud and Midrash) that developped long after the mandates in question do little to support your case.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Filthy Tugboat
Guru

Re: Morality without Bible Doctrine

Post #22

Post by Filthy Tugboat »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Filthy Tugboat wrote: But yes, I do believe that soldiers were given ... privileges of rape ....

Well I'm not here to debate your beliefs, and cannot say I am interested in them, do you have any supporting biblical* evidence?

* Post biblical traditions (Talmud and Midrash) that developped long after the mandates in question do little to support your case.

JW
Yes, the website I linked broke down the passage in Hebrew and explained that it did explicitly state that the women children were available to the soldiers for sexual purposes. Feel free to read it, it's too much info to quote. I would also definitely suggest that removing the Jewish interpretations and oral history is indeed shutting off quite accurate and reasonable understandings of Hebrew culture, society and laws. It might not be what you like but it certainly sounds like a bad idea intellectually speaking.
Religion feels to me a little like a Nigerian Prince scam. The "offer" is illegitimate, the "request" is unreasonable and the source is dubious, in fact, Nigeria doesn't even have a royal family.