Total votes: 1

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

A letter to God

Post #1

Post by 2Dbunk »

A LETTER TO GOD

Dear God:

I hope this finds you well, though it is foolish of me to intimate anything otherwise since you are perfect in every way. You know that my concern is sincere as I, a very fragile mortal, am an “open book� like everyone else is to You. The reason for this letter is to ask where I am to proceed from here, me being a 71 year-old man filled with a lifetime of experiences and very few regrets. Time and again I have been reminded of my sinfulness which I truly attempted to avoid. I do make mistakes – are they a part of the sinning picture? Sometimes I wonder if the writers of Scripture confused the two! Just asking.

You know that I am an optimist by nature -- that I’ve always had high hopes for the future. My starry dreams and self-study have led me to a plateau of self-content that is no mystery to You. I would very much like to thank those who may be responsible for my serene position in life, so consider this a thank you letter if You had anything to do with my achievement. I say this with little certainty that You had anything to do with it, seeing that I haven’t prayed to You for forty-two years – but of course there is the possibility. Why have I chosen not to pray for so long? I view such baneful requests a form of selfishness, self-service asking of help in the face of Your needed assistance in more important venues. There are too many cherished examples of Your blessing mere mortals’ problems over the specter of unnecessary wars and hideous upheavals of nature that more or less target the poor and defenseless. But then, that’s my take on things.

You know that I am expressing myself like one who is not a daily communicant with You. I have been ridiculed in the past by religious folk -- most notably Christians -- that I haven’t a personal relationship with either You or Your Son, Jesus. Why is it You chose to speak to others and not to me when I implored of You for personal help in my youth? Back then, life was a drudge – a continuous stream of setbacks that impaled my dreams. Is it that others who are witness to Your ever ready presence are special in Your eyes? Did I not recognize Your Creation with enough appreciation?

You know that I view this life and the Cosmos as something words cannot begin to describe. I repeat, prose cannot be found to describe my appreciation for all this around me – and in me! I am forever indebted to the Author of such magnificence! Please take my feelings as a token of my gratitude, and point me in the direction that I can further assist Your Creation. But is it You – many assert to be a male figure -- or is it a woman, who gives life everyday, every hour, on this planet -- that some others refer to as Mother Nature? For only asking this question, I am pronounced an apostate – not only by Christians but also by Muslims (and You know very well how those two followers of Your Word loathe each other).

And You know too well the internecine bickering of all Your religious followers on this planet about Your pronouncements, promises, protocol, and preferences. How is one to choose among all of the “one true� paths to Righteousness? It seems to me that the born again Christian shouldn’t have a lock on establishing a relationship with You; after all: the Jews are Your chosen people; Allah (I’m supposing You) provides everything to his Muslims; certain favored Mormons experience Your revelations when it suits their specific needs. It begs the questions: whose side are You on? Why is there hardly a communication between these differing sects? Am I too curious and ask foolish questions?

While on this dangerous ground, I might ask another question that has been kicking around in my bonnet. Possibly a PROOF THERE IS NO CARING, ALL-LOVING, PERSONALLY CORRESPONDING JESUS

Is one of a reasonable mind to even think of the following question on demographics? It has always been said that You are a charitable God – representing pure love. Since day one of Your ascension into heaven, You made a promise to return – to gather those who accept You as being their Savior, to take them with You to Heaven (leaving the unfaithful to fight down here for survival before they are eventually consigned to hell). The wording in the Gospels is that Your return would be imminent. Today, two thousand years later, the world has billions more people -- perhaps six billion more. At a ratio of at least 5 to 1 Earth’s present day multitudes are not followers or believers in You, your Mother, or the Christian God triad. That represents a net gain of five or six billion more souls that will be consigned to burn for all eternity in hell -- at Your direction! I have been told by thinking people that this astronomically growing numerical condition is proof that a caring, all loving God is not in control of this planet. Would that not be the grossest sin imaginable: the en-mass, eternal burning of souls that You had created, knowing full well that they weren’t about to worship You. I find this proof that an all loving, caring personal Jesus cannot exist!

You know this religious bickering is a problem on Earth. I don’t understand how You could let it go unchecked. Would it have been better not to promote this worship thing? Ah, but You might answer, “Man would have instituted worship of the unknown at any-rate.� Probably for that very reason I haven’t tried to delude myself into establishing a relationship with You – I hope You find this a legitimate excuse for my hiatus. There, It is mentioned: “the unknown.� With all due respect, You remain to me and to many others as an unknown entity. Please understand that I honestly don’t know whether you exist or not; and for this reason I repeat: in many religions such doubt is a cardinal sin. Christianity says this doubt is the only sin that confession of secures no divine redemption! Pardon me, but is that not some sort of blackmail? Of course “blackmail� is not a subject mentioned in Scripture, but “bearing false witness� is. If I dissemble and say with hidden doubts that “Jesus is my savior,� would I not be bearing false witness? I would like very much to believe without doubt that I have a savior, but it would be a lie unto myself! (mainly because it is a refutation of many hundreds of other faiths). Doubting all faiths is hardly a giant step from doubting just 999 percent of them!

You know confusing issues like the above and confusion in general is rampant in Scripture. That this confusion is hardly mitigated in Sabbath-day sermons which more or less leads the flock in prayer -- solving only parochial concerns, rightly or wrongly. A secular solution of same, though independent of ecclesiastical passion, is deemed gentile (and ironically, unpatriotic) drivel, even though the evil parent government protects the various religions from literally tearing each other apart! You do advise “render under Caesar what is Caesar’s� but rarely is that dictate heeded by Your followers except in those houses of worship zealots label as being too tolerant and liberal.

You know that some – perhaps many – use the crucifix or crescent or Star of David religious symbols as a shield, as a ploy to gain the innocents’ confidence in sales, in investments, in shakedowns of possessions. I am confused that such blatant hypocrisy exists – is that not some important reason to de-emphasize the need for open worship. I know Mathew 6:5 discourages such hypocrisy but that passage is not often cited, and the hypocritical politicians win the elections through distortion of truth. This is upsetting to me because these politicians declare war in Your name, they defile the planet and their opposition in Your name -- they wish to destroy the core of our Founding Fathers’ secular intent.

You know this is not the only letter ever written to you. Back sixty-six years ago an eleven-year old Jewish girl, Liliane Gerenstein, wrote thanking You for all of her blessings. That was a day or so before she and all of her forty-three school-mates were transferred from their girls school on the border with France, to Auschwitz where they were immediately gassed and incinerated. The letter somehow survived the rigors of that upheaval. Though I’m sure You remember, I quote it verbatim as it appears at www.photographs.dk/letter/

“God? How good You are, how kind and if one had to count the number
of goodnesses and kindnesses You have done, one would never finish.
God? It is You who command. It is You who are justice, it is You who reward the good and punish the evil.
God? It is thanks to You that I had a beautiful life before, that I was spoiled, that I had lovely things that others do not have.
God? After that, I ask You one thing only: make my parents come back,
My poor parents protect them (even more than You protect me) so that I can see them again as soon as possible.
Make them come back again. Ah, I had such a good mother and such a good father! I have such faith in You and I thank you in advance.�

The letter was found in April 1944 in the abandoned home at Izieu. Liliane’s mother had been deported and was already murdered. Her father miraculously survived the horrors of the Holocaust and emigrated to the United States, never knowing the fate of his children.

A Christian might say in answer to the above consternation couched in innocence, that You had special need for these young people to be with You in Heaven. I suppose that answer would cover the vast majority of the other millions annihilated in the Holocaust. But I would ask why a journey to heaven would start with such demeaning effrontery: the violent snatching and separation of Your own chosen people as they were raped and pilloried beyond belief. An auspicious beginning to be sure, to qualify to sit for all eternity at Your right hand. Which begs another question: Do You have a left hand? That same Christian might blush if I suggested that Your left side might represent evil in Your Creation. But what other conclusion can I come to when evil is so often conjured up in the minds of Your followers, especially when they chirp that I probably won’t be invited to sit at the right hand of God.

For instance, the numbers 666 and 700 are part of the numerical system that You had eventually revealed to us. The former number is symbolic of evil while the latter is supposedly one of good. Scientists cannot dismiss 666 and continue to assess the values of Your Creation (architects excepted who whimsically eliminate floor number thirteen in the construct of a building) – 666 is an integer that must be included – ask any financial accountant! I do confess that, in the light of Your Perfection, it is difficult for me to find equality between the wonderful balance of the Cosmos and the chaotic, contradicting Scripture which supposedly was handed down by You .

I suppose what I’m leading up to is the question: Why the advent of evil? Before religion debuted, the definition of evil was non-existent. One of religion’s crowning achievements is the cataloging of all things evil. Not that I’m blaming You, but rather those scribes and priests who upon learning the art of writing, filled the resulting vacuum that only their rhetoric could -- old men with too much time on their hands with a new media to expound their holy (personal) philosophy! Showing off through talk of God oftentimes masks evil intent to defraud. On the other hand, evil can happen even in a religious pronouncement (when a homosexual is attacked and killed, or a Mormon itinerant preacher “has a vision� and kidnaps a 14-year old girl, “marries� her then rapes her daily for nine months because “it was alright with God.� Would not mankind be better off utilizing their collective intellect rather than depending on a clergy that could well be off balance? Why would You condemn someone to burn in hell through all eternity just because he or she marched to the dictates of their own conscience – one who leads an exemplary and productive life, yet unconcerned about worship of You? As perfect as You are surely You can’t be jealous -- an imperfect trait for One who is perfect.

2Dbunk, January 17, 2011, edited March 4,2019

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Moderator Action
Not a debate topic.
Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.