Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Biblical "Morality" vs My Morality:

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

Question for Debate: If you were facing execution for breaking some Biblical law, would you rather have me make the decision to slay or spare you or have Moses make that decision??

On a recent thread some Christians argued that killing a man is morally acceptable and in fact imperative if the Bible god commands it. Regardless of the reason given for the slaying or I suppose no reason given at all, we are to obey orders. No questions asked. I'm just glad I don't believe in such a god or such "morality." I prefer to be free to think about right and wrong judging for myself what should be done. That way there's less misery in the world, and if more people would think like I do, then there would be fewer people being killed. I think it's safe to say that if anybody espousing such killing were facing execution, then they'd much rather have the decision to slay or spare them be based in my thinking rather than to have that decision based in their thinking.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Biblical "Morality" vs My Morality:

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

I'll go with you over Moses (or any bibliolater) as judge for any moral issue.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

I'd rather have you decide my case as well, Jagella. Additionally, I wouldn't expect our nation to crumble if you decide not to have me murdered.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by JJ50 »

Killing someone is not morally acceptable, however in times of a justifiable war, (of which there aren't many) sadly it has to be done. However, killing someone because they violate some of the more crazy decrees in the Bible is wrong, and the killer should pay the price by being imprisoned for a very long time. I am glad capital punishment was done away with in the UK during the 1960s.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Jagella »

Zzyzx wrote:I'll go with you over Moses (or any bibliolater) as judge for any moral issue.
Then you made the "correct" choice. You would never face death as a result of any decision I might make. But not only would I spare your life, I would abolish the death penalty for violating any religious law, and I would strike down any ridiculous laws like the sabbath laws of Moses.

But one of my other main points is that those who say they disagree with me would actually agree with me if they faced stoning by a mob like that described in Numbers 15. They just won't admit they would agree with me in that situation because they would either then need to admit that their god is barbaric or that their view of morality is wrong.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Jagella »

Tcg wrote:I'd rather have you decide my case as well, Jagella.
You answer is to the question for debate is also "correct" (see my reply to Zz).
Additionally, I wouldn't expect our nation to crumble if you decide not to have me murdered.
It's so good that I'm free to think. Otherwise, I might need to insist that "our nation" would be toast if you lived on.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Jagella »

JJ50 wrote:I am glad capital punishment was done away with in the UK during the 1960s.
I'm hoping that the death penalty will be abolished here in America as well. All the loving American Christians want it.

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

Jagella wrote: Question for Debate: If you were facing execution for breaking some Biblical law, would you rather have me make the decision to slay or spare you or have Moses make that decision??....
I would rather have righteous God to make the judgment, as I think also Moses wanted.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Jagella »

1213 wrote:
Jagella wrote: Question for Debate: If you were facing execution for breaking some Biblical law, would you rather have me make the decision to slay or spare you or have Moses make that decision??....
I would rather have righteous God to make the judgment, as I think also Moses wanted.
I would spare you, and Moses claiming to speak for FOTS would almost certainly have you stoned to death. Do you care to revise your answer?

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

Jagella wrote: I would spare you, and Moses claiming to speak for FOTS would almost certainly have you stoned to death. Do you care to revise your answer?
Perhaps. But, if God would think I should die, I think He has good reason for that. It would mean I am unrighteous and evil. And I actually don’t like the idea that unrighteous and evil would live forever. So, if I am unrighteous and evil, I hope God ends my life so that I would not cause misery to others. I think it would actually be evil to let unrighteous and evil continue forever and cause life to be eternal suffering for all.