Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tart
Banned
Banned

What is in the Bible. Do you know?

Post #1

Post by Tart »

All too often people just assume they know god, and what Christianity is all about. Before i dived into the scripture i assumed I knew what people thought about God. I assumed I knew what was in the Bible. "Just be a good person, and the rest is legend". In fact, i was so confident in this thought that I knew everything i need to know, and would suggest to people I have read the Bible... That i know everything it's about.

It was the Bible that blew those misconceptions out of the water, and blew my mind.... I consider myself lucky I spent 6 months in solitary confinement, because I actually had the time to read the Bible....

But lets face it, the Bible is HUGE, and many parts are REALLY hard to get through. People give up, people dont read it, and lot of people dont think they even need to read it to understand God... In fact, im skeptical on some people in this forum, that claim they do study the Bible, and have read it, but really havent...

For these reasons I have narrowed down scripture to 3 books (totaling about 75 pages)... If you havent read the scripture, if its very long and you never read anyways, if you dont even think of reading it... Dont be quick to throw it away...

Here is the challenge for all those people... Pick 1 Gospel (Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John), the Book of Acts, and the Romans Epistle... Read those 3 books and you will have a decent knowledge of Christianity... It is 75 pages...

This topic was sparked by trying to talk to my neighbors, which was suggested to have a Bible study... Read those 3 books, and come back and comment on what your thoughts are on each book...

A topic for debate... What is the inspiration of the authors? What is an explanation for these books? What do you think about each book? (Please be as detailed as possible, like by using quotes, or verses, trying to understand why he author wrote what he did, what was the inspiration, etc...)

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by JJ50 »

I have read that book from cover to cover many times in my life, and continue to do so.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Tart »

JJ50 wrote: I have read that book from cover to cover many times in my life, and continue to do so.
Ok and what did you learn from it?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: What is in the Bible. Do you know?

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tart wrote:
A topic for debate... What is the inspiration of the authors?
I believe the bible writers (including the four gospel writers) were inspired by God to record what they did.

2 PETER 1:21

No prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. For prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were moved by holy spirit.
Tart wrote: What is an explanation for these books?
The gospel writers were explaining the major events and teaching of Jesus Christ.
JOHN 21:24, 25

This is the disciple+ who gives this witness about these things and who wrote these things, and we know that his witness is true. There are also, in fact, many other things that Jesus did, which if ever they were written in full detail, I suppose the world itself could not contain the scrolls written.
Tart wrote: What do you think about each book?
Out of the gospels or out of the entire canon? I think they are all wonderful, they are a means by which we can get a picture of the glorious personality of Jesus and through him, of Almighty God Jehovah Himself. My favourite gospel is John's because it is profound and so beautifully written.

JW

FUTHER READING: What does the bible really teach?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-teach/

RELATED POSTS
Is the bible from God or about Him?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 508#840508

What evidence do we have of the authorship of the gospels?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 347#338347

What is the purpose of the bible?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 492#800492

Is the bible still relevant to our day?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 344#902344
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JJ50 »

[Replying to post 3 by Tart]

Not to believe in the literal truth of most of it, as much of it isn't in the least bit credible.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 1 by Tart]
In fact, im skeptical on some people in this forum, that claim they do study the Bible, and have read it, but really havent...
I mean, it's not like we quote it literally every day or anything, or have been former Christians, or have bought (in my case, multiple) copies of the darn thing...
I consider myself lucky I spent 6 months in solitary confinement, because I actually had the time to read the Bible....
Huh. Never been to jail myself, but if all I had was the Bible while in solitary, I'd read it too. I mean, it's that or nothing.
All too often people just assume they know god, and what Christianity is all about.
Agreed. I get this funnily enough from Christians too.
But lets face it, the Bible is HUGE, and many parts are REALLY hard to get through.
A thought that is often in the back of my mind whenever I post here is...what about those Christians who don't read the Bible, who just go to Church, live their lives and don't study theology or anything? Is God, for lack of a better word, satisfied with them? If the answer is yes, then this suggests the Bible is redundant.
People give up, people dont read it, and lot of people dont think they even need to read it to understand God
Those silly Muslims/Jews/Hindus...oh wait you weren't thinking about them?
For these reasons I have narrowed down scripture to 3 books (totaling about 75 pages)
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching,"
From 2nd Timothy. I notice that this isn't in your list of books. I get it, these are what you think are the most important, and I'm not saying you're incorrect per se...but if I were to put my Christian hat back on, why should I go with your list of 3 books? As a Christian, I'd have to read the entire Bible, wouldn't I?
Here is the challenge for all those people
Just curious, do you honestly count ME among "those people"? It might just astonish you how much I do read and have read.
Pick 1 Gospel (Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John), the Book of Acts, and the Romans Epistle... Read those 3 books and you will have a decent knowledge of Christianity
Just one Gospel? I'm picturing in my head how this might potentially go down. I'm picturing a person ignorant of Christianity, doing as you suggest, picking one gospel, plus Acts and Romans. So let's say he picks...Mark. This person then has no knowledge of a virgin birth, or anything regarding Mary really, which, if this person is a Roman Catholic is gonna be a bit of a stumbling block.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

I'd suggest they read Revelation first. When they then read the four gospels, they'll know the true character of the star of the show.

Here's a very short quote to get them started:

Revelation 19:15 Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.� He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:

KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.

When someone claims to them that God is love, they'll know the truth.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #8

Post by benchwarmer »

Funnily enough I find most Christians have no clue what's really in the Bible. They only know the cherry picked parts they hear in church or the bits they are asked to read for Bible studies. Many seem to have never really considered what many parts of the Bible are actually saying. When it's pointed out, especially if it's inconvenient or contradictory, they often wave it away with a half hearted excuse.

Many seem blissfully unaware of the content and more shockingly who actually wrote the things they claim to believe.

It was actually reading the Bible cover to cover with an open mind to find out what all it contained that led to my deconversion. Investigating who actually wrote what was also eye opening. Do most Christians even realize that the core of their religion was written by anonymous authors well after their Christ was said to have lived? Sadly most just go with whatever their pastors tell them and consider it 'gospel truth'.

On this very forum I often find former Christians clearly have a better grasp than some Christians of what's in the Bible as they often quote scripture in debate with good effect and are met with nothing useful in response. It must really irk some Christians when the 'pagans' start out quoting scripture to them.

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

My morning devotions lead me to this passage:

Luke 17:26 “Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. 27 People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.

28 “It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building. 29 But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all.

30 “It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed.

Some folks think that Revelation paints a picture of Jesus that is unfair or perhaps inaccurate. This passage reveals the fact that the violence of the Jesus character isn't isolated to any one book. Revelation simply provides the details of how the Jesus character will carry out the violence he promoted his whole career.

The lesson we learn is that God only loves those who love him. We see this story throughout the Bible. Bible God is a God who plays favorites. Follow his arbitrary rules and you're good to go. Deviate in any way, and you'll be swimming with the fishes or dancing in a burning rain.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #10

Post by Divine Insight »

Tart wrote: A topic for debate... What is the inspiration of the authors?
The same inspiration for all other tales humans have created. Humans love to create tales and the Bible is hardly unique.
Tart wrote: What is an explanation for these books?
The same explanation for all other rumors and superstitions humans have come up with. Let's not forget that even the Biblical tales have been twisted into grossly contradictory religions. Judaism, Islam, Christianity. And even those three have broken into more contradictory factions. Christianity probably being the most broken of all, ranging from Catholicism to countless forms of disagreeing Protestantisms. There's clearly no substance to it.
Tart wrote: What do you think about each book? (Please be as detailed as possible, like by using quotes, or verses, trying to understand why he author wrote what he did, what was the inspiration, etc...)
To begin with I wouldn't even waste my time focusing on the New Testament tales when it's already crystal clear that the Old Testament tales are clearly false.

As far as the New Testament goes, Mark, Matthew, and Luke are all basically the same rumor retold and added too, exactly as superstitions evolve.

The writings of Paul contradict and conflict with the teachings of Jesus told by Mark, Mathew, and Luke. Paul was obviously a very sick and trouble man. No doubt suffering from delusions. He was also clearly wrong about many things he claimed, not the least of which is his claim that men are without excuse for not believing in his God. His reasoning there is clearly flawed and does not represent any divinely inspired truth.

The Gospel of "John", IMHO, was a later attempt of an entire church to try to create a coherent religious theology from the previous superstitious tales. And as far as I can see they have failed miserly, at least in terms of convincing me of their ultimate goal.

You say that you were in solitary confinement when you read the Bible. You are aware that being in such a situation is an obviously desperate situation to be in. It's understandable why someone in such a situation would want to believe in something supernatural and miraculous in that predicament.

The problem I have with this entire thing is that if this were truly from some God then it should be quite compelling to people who are not in desperate situations. A person shouldn't need to be in a desperate situation in order to understand a message from a supposedly loving benevolent God.

In fact, such a message should be crystal clear and obvious to any decent person.

I'm definitely a decent person, and I see absolutely no credibility in the Hebrew Bible. None whatsoever. In fact, the Bible appears to me to have been written by men who have a dramatically different idea of morality from my views on that concept.

The God they have created is not an intelligent God, IMHO.

Why should I believe that the Bible represents a message from an intelligent God when the book isn't intelligent?

Sure, you can point to the higher moral values that Jesus tried (and failed) to bring into this religion, but none of that excuses the behavior of the God of the Old Testament.

Jesus cannot save Yahweh. It's simply far too little far too late.

The Bible cannot be a true description of any God, and Jesus most certainly was not the Son of God sent to earth to become an intentional sacrificial lamb to pay for the sin of humans. In fact, that entire idea is absolutely ludicrous.

It doesn't even make any sense. If this God was willing to let human sinners off the hook he could have done that before the Great Flood. In fact, he could have done it in the Garden of Eden with Adam and Eve.

The Bible is clearly a false religion. There can be no doubt about it.

It's a dead religion for which there can be no resurrection.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]