Does sinning include making mistakes?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Does sinning include the making of unintentional mistakes?

Yes
30%
No
50%
Not sure
20%

Total votes: 10

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Does sinning include making mistakes?

Post #1

Post by 2Dbunk »

I try to avoid sinning and I try to avoid making mistakes. Ethical behavior is very dear to me -- I shudder at the thought that some of our highest politicians have little to no ethics. Is their behavior tantamount to sinning for it certainly smacks of being intentional? (no mistake there, but I digressed.)

In reading the Bible I've not run across much, if any, mention of making judgemental errors. It seems to me that such errors are lumped in with sinning, correct me if I'm wrong. Like marriage to my first wife was a mistake and devorcing her to take a another is biblically considered a sin. Most other of my mistakes pale in comparison, but I wrestle with "bearing false witness" and my Apostasy. Is that a mistake in my declaration of the latter even though I would have to lie to proclaim that I have Faith in Jesus -- A violation of God's Ninth Commandment. The Bible is insistent that apostasy is an un-redemptive sin, so it would be in my best interest to force myself to lie. Why so -- I'm just using the mind that God supposedly has given me, to discern things -- or am I in a big mistake here? The question for debate is: Does sinning include all aspects of the negative, including making mistakes? Yes No Not sure

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by 2Dbunk »

2. As a reborn legitimate child of GOD you will not avoid transgression but your sins are not counted and you are kept from enslavement to sin while you are being trained in righteousness by sometimes painful discipline, Heb 12:5-11.

Funny that you should mention "legitimate child of God," what if I were a bastard, my line condemned to the "tenth generation?"
Deuteronomy 23:2 (King James Version) A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not …

How does thee explain this?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by ttruscott »

myth-one.com wrote:Sin is anyone transgressing one of God's commandments. Whether they know the law, or are ignorant of the law -- it is a sin either way.
This is like saying that the essence of a marriage is found in the vows and the signatures on the certificate. The true essence of marriage is in the unity of the people in their mind, body and soul. The ceremony is just the physical stuff to show publicly their (supposed) essential unity.

Isn't it written elsewhere that the law as NOT given to the righteous but to the unrighteous, ungodly and unlawful to convict them of sin...ie, the law exposes sin, it does NOT create it....1 Timothy 1:9 perhaps with Rom 3:20 Therefore no one will be justified in His sight by works of the law. For the law merely brings awareness of sin.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by ttruscott »

2Dbunk wrote: Funny that you should mention "legitimate child of God," what if I were a bastard, my line condemned to the "tenth generation?"
There are people who ARE THE LEGITIMATE CHILDREN OF GOD AND THOSE WHO ARE NOT... Being HIS child is NOT by being created by HIM but by faith in HIM as your parent and saviour.

Deuteronomy 32:5 "They have acted corruptly toward Him, They are not His children, because of their defect; But are a perverse and crooked generation. OR: their defect is that they are not HIS children...

These people are the ones who chose to reject HIM as their GOD by their free will, sinning the unforgivable sin. As sinful unbelievers they are condemned already, Jn 3:18, whereas the sinful believers are never condemned.

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by JJ50 »

The word 'sin' is a stupid little word which often covers things which no reasonable person would consider wrong like homosexuality and sex before marriage.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 13 by ttruscott]
There are people who ARE THE LEGITIMATE CHILDREN OF GOD AND THOSE WHO ARE NOT... Being HIS child is NOT by being created by HIM but by faith in HIM as your parent and saviour.

And I have a bridge connecting Manhattan with Long Island that you can buy for peanuts if you'll only have faith in my offer.

JJ50
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by JJ50 »

Moderator removed one-line, non-contributing post. Kindly refrain from making posts that contribute nothing to debate and/or simply express agreement / disagreement or make other frivolous remarks.

For complimenting or agreeing use the "Like" function or the MGP button. For anything else use PM.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by ttruscott »

2Dbunk wrote: [Replying to post 13 by ttruscott]
And I have a bridge connecting Manhattan with Long Island that you can buy for peanuts if you'll only have faith in my offer.
...and I apparently can honestly offer you life eternal in a heavenly state as a true reality if you just have faith in the offer and seek Christ. How is this different except I am being honest and non-sarcastic?? If I am preaching are you not proselytizing for atheism which in this place is ranting?

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by 2Dbunk »

What is truth if it is not more valuable than hand-me-down faith?

shnarkle
Guru

Re: Does sinning include making mistakes?

Post #19

Post by shnarkle »

2Dbunk wrote:
I try to avoid sinning and I try to avoid making mistakes. Ethical behavior is very dear to me -- I shudder at the thought that some of our highest politicians have little to no ethics. Is their behavior tantamount to sinning for it certainly smacks of being intentional? (no mistake there, but I digressed.)

In reading the Bible I've not run across much, if any, mention of making judgemental errors. It seems to me that such errors are lumped in with sinning, correct me if I'm wrong. Like marriage to my first wife was a mistake and devorcing her to take a another is biblically considered a sin. Most other of my mistakes pale in comparison, but I wrestle with "bearing false witness" and my Apostasy. Is that a mistake in my declaration of the latter even though I would have to lie to proclaim that I have Faith in Jesus -- A violation of God's Ninth Commandment. The Bible is insistent that apostasy is an un-redemptive sin, so it would be in my best interest to force myself to lie. Why so -- I'm just using the mind that God supposedly has given me, to discern things -- or am I in a big mistake here? The question for debate is: Does sinning include all aspects of the negative, including making mistakes? Yes No Not sure
One of the fundamental aspects of the Mosaic law is the distinction between intentional and unintentional sin. One need look no further than the books of Leviticus and Deuteronomy to find a number of examples. When one sinned unintentionally, the remedy was sacrifice, but when one sinned intentionally, the remedy was never sacrifice, but "teshuva", or repentance and restitution.

Christ begins his ministry by pointing out the need to repent, and ends by pointing out right from the cross that it is only those who do not know what they are doing who are forgiven through sacrifice.

If Christ came to fulfill the Mosaic law, then anyone's intentional sin is not covered by his sacrifice. The author of Hebrews backs this up in chapter 10, verse 26 " If we sin willfully after having received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins". He is pointing out that same fundamental precept of the Mosaic law.

I don't really understand your dilemma with apostacy and lying. If you're in a state of apostacy, lying will not save you.

shnarkle
Guru

Re: Does sinning include making mistakes?

Post #20

Post by shnarkle »

However, to commit a sin, one must first recognize that the act is a sin. That is, one must understand that law:
False. The Mosaic law is clear in pointing out the distinction between intentional and unintentional sin. They are both sin.

Most municipalities incorporate this same reasoning into their laws.

Thus children and the mentally incompetent are held to a lower standard.

For example, one can be "not guilty by reason of insanity."
Not so for the Mosaic law which is what we're really talking about. One of the other aspects of the Mosaic law that is also used by US courts is that "ignorance of the law is not a defense'. This is a precept of the Mosaic law, and "insanity" doesn't negate the law, nor does it provide a defense under the law of Moses.