The Amazing Duo is our name,
and we are conflicted!
Not on the surface you know,
but in psyche's depths.

One is socially convenient;
the other suppressed as it is …
inconvenient to consider.
Thought freedom sadly forbidden.

Do theists wrestle with their sub-consciences? Have non-theists incorporated their sub-conscience with real time? Is this attempt at poetry germane to the human condition? (Other verses invited to be added on)

Dimmesdale
Sage

Re: Like it or not, Duality of thought exists

Post #2

Post by Dimmesdale »

2Dbunk wrote: DUALITY OF THOUGHT -- a poem

We are rational.
We are not . . .
We believe in Truth.
We believe in Faith.

and we are conflicted!
but in psyche's depths.

Do theists wrestle with their sub-consciences? Have non-theists incorporated their sub-conscience with real time? Is this attempt at poetry germane to the human condition? (Other verses invited to be added on)
Not sure what exactly to focus in on here, but I think you're right that as human beings we are conflicted: yes, we can be rational in one sense yet irrational in another, etc. Why this is the case, you have a pretty wide gamut of answers, some seemingly better some seemingly worse.

Personally, I feel that something radical is at play. Theists might call it sin. Mystics might call it the fundamental illusion of Being hiding itself and disclosing itself by turns. I really don't know. I just feel something revolutionary is at hand every moment of our existence and that only something equally revolutionary (counter-revolutionary?) can offset it in balance.....

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Re: Like it or not, Duality of thought exists

Post #3

Post by 2Dbunk »

Dimmesdale wrote:
2Dbunk wrote: DUALITY OF THOUGHT -- a poem

We are rational.
We are not . . .
We believe in Truth.
We believe in Faith.

and we are conflicted!
but in psyche's depths.

Dimmesdale wrote: Not sure what exactly to focus in on here, but I think you're right that as human beings we are conflicted: yes, we can be rational in one sense yet irrational in another, etc. Why this is the case, you have a pretty wide gamut of answers, some seemingly better some seemingly worse.
Thank you for your response. My focus here is spiritual life in the face of secular day-to-day living. I have an old high school friend who was a brilliant "A" student who became a second ed. teacher. We keep in touch over the holidays . . . and that's it! When younger we were very much into philosophical discussion ... of everything -- but that's gone. He never pursued an advanced degree; doesn't read books, will not discuss what life is about like we used to -- he knows my stance on religion and has politely told me not to try to convert him though I didn't know my apostasy was that imposing.

Our friendship is on tinder hooks: We haven't anything in common anymore, don't visit each other, etc. He's into fantasy sports and to a lesser extent, gambling. And I think a lot of our growing separation is due to the fact he finds discussing life's issues inconvenient . . . that thinking about our cultural upbringing is uncomfortable in the face of today's growing secularity (not that either of us were overtly religious back then).

To me, I think it amounts to his suppression of thought concerning biblical miracles, etc., in the face of today's reality. I believe a lot of people are so conflicted -- I know I was in my teens and early twenties. In fact I wonder how much these conflicts affect the teen suicide rate; our soldiers serving in the middle east suicide rate in a war based not on defense but pre-emption. Do you see my focus here?

Dimmesdale wrote: Personally, I feel that something radical is at play. Theists might call it sin. Mystics might call it the fundamental illusion of Being hiding itself and disclosing itself by turns. I really don't know. I just feel something revolutionary is at hand every moment of our existence and that only something equally revolutionary (counter-revolutionary?) can offset it in balance.....
What you say here is much more complex than my premise. I don't know that what I'm saying is not more like psychological subterfuge -- A conflict within us borne of cultural and heritage super-imposed upon our psyche at a very early age.
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.